Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 12:12 PM

67 posts, read 304,233 times

Advertisements

Our one year warranty is coming up. Please recommend your home inspector.
Our home is two-story. Do most home inspectors not get on the roof of two story homes? Also is infared technology necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 12:25 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,171,954 times
Best I've ever seen, bar none:

American Home Inspections

Darrell McNair
P O Box 741
League City, TX 77574

Phone: 713-249-6063

Any inspector worth his salt gets on the roof. Dunno about infra-red. Ask Darrell.

Tell him Ronnie and Shila sent you.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:08 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,780 times
I would have recommended our inspector.
He did a great job finding stuff that needed to be fixed before our year warranty ran out.
He was also our inspector when our home was first built.
However, I just found out a couple of weeks ago that he committed suicide.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:04 PM

834 posts, read 2,683,751 times
I would recommend Clear View Inspections - Lee Fasbinder 713-409-4631. I'm buying a home and he spend about 6 hours taking notes, pictures and taping different "touch-ups" or errors by the builder. His fee includes a walk-thru after corrections are done and he will also come out to do the 1 year inspection. He's very knowledgeable and pleasant to talk to. For you it may be a different fee because you just want a 1 year inspection.

Good luck

Old 08-24-2010, 03:54 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,408,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbiz View Post
Our one year warranty is coming up. Please recommend your home inspector.
Our home is two-story. Do most home inspectors not get on the roof of two story homes? Also is infared technology necessary?
Hello msbiz,

I am not in your area but did see your post. For the roof question the answer is "You Inspector had better walk the roof if it is safely accessible". There are many issues we find on roofs that can only be seen from the roof level while walking it.

Using thermal imaging (infrared) can be a very helpful tool during any inspection. For a new home, one year warranty, three of the biggest uses are insulation deficiencies in walls and ceilings, duct leakage in heating/cooling systems as well as exterior compressor coil issues, and water leakage issues and penetration if we have consistent rains. Your main electrical panel can be scanned for severe issues, as can active switches, but most times a Thermographer can not load the electrical system enough to make these scans as revealing.

There should be sufficient numbers of good Inspectors in your area to choose from that do use this technology. However make sure that you check their credentials. There are several organizations out there now that offer "Certifications" (??) for little or nothing. Your Therographer should be properly trained under the standards set forth by The American Society of Nondestructive Testing (ASNT). These are the National standards used for training Thermographers as well as other specialty fields. Any properly trained Thermographer can provide you the name, contact number of the training institution that trained and certified them, as well as a copy of their certification letter and/or certificate. The training institutions are more than happy to verify these people for you.

Since you are having a one year warranty inspection performed your home was subject to proper building codes. I would also make sure that you use an individual that is very familiar with not only the International Building Codes (ICC - International Code Council) but also any local amendments to them, and local code requirements. The International Code Council does provide certifications on the International Building Codes. Any individual who claims to be certified can be checked at https://av.iccsafe.org/EWEB/DynamicP...rchControl=Yes. If you run my name through the search you will have an example of the certifications I am speaking of. Many people are members of the ICC and sport the logo on their WEB pages but are not certified by them.

I do wish I could provide you a good reference to someone in your area but am not fully familiar with all Inspectors there. If you have any questions please feel free to ask away.

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
I would recommend Clear View Inspections - Lee Fasbinder 713-409-4631. I'm buying a home and he spend about 6 hours taking notes, pictures and taping different "touch-ups" or errors by the builder. His fee includes a walk-thru after corrections are done and he will also come out to do the 1 year inspection. He's very knowledgeable and pleasant to talk to. For you it may be a different fee because you just want a 1 year inspection.

Good luck
Would you mind sharing the square foot size of your home?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 AM

834 posts, read 2,683,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Would you mind sharing the square foot size of your home?
The home we're looking into is 3818 sq ft. The inspector, in addition to looking a code restrictions or violations was also looking at a lot of cosmetic things around the house (paint touchups, scratches on wood,etc).

Old 08-26-2010, 12:26 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
I've used Fox Inspection Group, and Able Inspections, was happy with both.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
The home we're looking into is 3818 sq ft. The inspector, in addition to looking a code restrictions or violations was also looking at a lot of cosmetic things around the house (paint touchups, scratches on wood,etc).
Thank you for sharing that. The reason I ask is you had stated the Inspector spent 6 hours on site performing the inspection. Even for a new home that is a reasonable amount of time for the inspection, documentation, and possible client briefing as well. It sounds as if this Inspector did not rush the job. There are plenty out there that would do that house in 2.5 hours from the time they get out of their truck to the time they put it in drive and leave. Of course the client will see the actual results some time down the road why it was only 2.5 hours.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:39 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,049,746 times
American Property Inspections of Texas Rod Scarborough
12703 Eagle Ledge Ln.
Houston, TX 77377
281-744-3965

i dont know where he lives/works out of but he came into the city to do my home without any problems or bringing it up

that is who i used and he was at my home for 3 hrs (2000 sq ft). he did an excellent write up using all the pictures, clear notes or what the pictures were of, deficiencies, and how things should be or look etc. he used the infared technology, went up on the roof, and crawled through every part of my tiny old attic. he did a very clear oral presentation, answered all my questions, explained to me what everything meant, got me the write up a few hours later. he takes a lot of pride in actually doing the job right and being fair. he can also get a termite inspection in at the same time he is at the home with another person he regularly works with. this guy was also awesome and did the most thorough termite inspection i have ever seen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston