Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:15 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhg566 View Post
Poor tax or not, the cameras are placed where people "run" red lights. Whether the intent is to raise revenue or reduce red light running doesn't matter. That's where the violations occur. Cameras are not placed where there are no violations Why would any idiot, government or private industry, do that? So spin your conspiracy theories all you want, but if there are more cameras near HUD homes or low income areas, it's because the people who drive in that area (whether they live there or commute thru) are "running" red lights.

Duh!
Or! it could be that people in the upper class areas would have the money to pay a lawyer to get rid of the ticket thereby defeating the purpose of putting the camera's in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 09:06 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
I think it might be for certain time periods when sweepers come by.
Thanks for the reply, that makes sense.

My only feedback would be, as someone who drives thru (and parks) in downtown Houston several times a day, I have NEVER seen a sweeper in downtown. Maybe they're there, but not during daytime hours. We do have those blue/yellow people in the little golf carts, but they mainly work on the sidewalks.

Sweepers?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 AM

448 posts, read 702,316 times
I would imagine they have them. Every big city should, we even have them in Baytown, maybe they just come out in the middle of the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Thanks for the reply, that makes sense.

My only feedback would be, as someone who drives thru (and parks) in downtown Houston several times a day, I have NEVER seen a sweeper in downtown. Maybe they're there, but not during daytime hours. We do have those blue/yellow people in the little golf carts, but they mainly work on the sidewalks.

Sweepers?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Here's another example of how its all about the money. The camera advocates tell us about how all this money goes to the hospitals and trauma care, but it turns out that the state has kept $93 million that was supposed to go to the hospitals and hasn't paid it out. Then Mayor Parker refered to it as a "money grab" by the state! Get that! When the city takes the money it is all about safety, when the state takes it from the city it is a money grab! Funding from Houston's red light camera program not distributed as promised | khou.com | KHOU.com Home Page

Old 09-07-2010, 06:26 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Hmm...

A politial action commitee (PAC) called 'Keep Houston Safe' has filed a lawsuit to prevent the citizens of Houston from voting on the red light cameras. I wonder who heads this group, and who's interest they have?

Old 09-07-2010, 06:37 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
I'm all in favor of those cameras ... the more the better. I don't care who gets the revenue as long as it hits the pocketbooks of those who go through the lights. I'm sick of all the red-light runners.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:16 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Did they vote or not? We're stuck slining pontifications here.

Ronnie

Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 AM

You don't have to guess, there was a suit filed against the city of Baytown to block the petition there too. The case is American Traffic Solutions V City of Baytown. ATS is the camera company for Baytown and Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
A politial action commitee (PAC) called 'Keep Houston Safe' has filed a lawsuit to prevent the citizens of Houston from voting on the red light cameras. I wonder who heads this group, and who's interest they have?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 AM

Everyone should care that millions of dollars are getting sucked out of our local economy in a recession. Many of the worst red light runners don't pay since there is no penalty for not paying the ticket. Last I saw something like 75% don't pay their tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I'm all in favor of those cameras ... the more the better. I don't care who gets the revenue as long as it hits the pocketbooks of those who go through the lights. I'm sick of all the red-light runners.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:47 AM

did the council vote? Yes, Houston and Baytown put the issue on the ballot in November.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Did they vote or not? We're stuck slining pontifications here.

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston