Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:29 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbbphh View Post
Really? It's the state's fault that the typical work day ends at 5 pm and rush hour traffic results? Maybe the state should outlaw personal ownership of motor vehicles; that would take care of the problem.

As they say, driving is a privilege, not a right. Don't want to sit in traffic, or wait for your turn to make a left turn? Fine - then don't drive.
Wow, way to make a straw man argument. LOL.

No! I'll continue to cut through parking lots-- it is doing YOU a favor by reducing the traffic YOU have to wait in! You should thank me. (I also accept gifts)

Also, how many times have people sat at a light for like 15 minutes with a huge pile up behind said light while the other light in the other direction is green and clear with no cars in sight. This happens all the time. The state needs to fix this crap. But the government is so inefficient it is unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
If I was on a debate team and the subject was rationalizing away bad/illegal behavior, you would be our captain.
We'd win every match.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:47 AM

192 posts, read 436,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
No! I'll continue to cut through parking lots-- it is doing YOU a favor by reducing the traffic YOU have to wait in! You should thank me. (I also accept gifts)
Actually, I'm not the one waiting in the traffic - I'm the one who's almost getting run over by people like you. But thanks anyway.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:00 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
That is the stupidest ticket I've ever heard of. It is the STATE'S job to fix traffic lights to STOP TRAFFIC JAMS. It is the STATE who hires police officers. If you ask me, you are doing the STATE a favor when you cut through a parking lot by reducing traffic at the traffic jam THEY CAUSED.
I'll see people pull up to lights, see one car in front of them in the right lane, realize the car isn't turning right on red, and cut thru the corner Quickie Mart to avoid waiting 30 seconds. How can the state fix that?

It's dangerous, it's illegal and if you're caught, you deserve the $180 fine the OP rec'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
If I was on a debate team and the subject was rationalizing away bad/illegal behavior, you would be our captain.
Ding! We have a winner--best reply of the thread!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'll see people pull up to lights, see one car in front of them in the right lane, realize the car isn't turning right on red, and cut thru the corner Quickie Mart to avoid waiting 30 seconds. How can the state fix that?

It's dangerous, it's illegal and if you're caught, you deserve the $180 fine the OP rec'd.

Ding! We have a winner--best reply of the thread!
Every day on my way to work I cut through a parking lot. If I don't-- I spend another 20 minutes in traffic. Lots of cars do it with me. If we all stopped doing it, the traffic jam would probably increase by about 300 cars. That would add an extra 20 - 30 minutes to everyone's commute. Want to wait 50 minutes at a stop light because the State is too dumb to fix the light?

Also, how can an officer tell if you went into a parking lot and just changed your mind. It is legal to drive into a parking lot and exit the parking lot isn't it? It's a stupid ticket because it is up to the officer's opinion. Anything that is up to an officer's opinion is just silly.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Also, how can an officer tell if you went into a parking lot and just changed your mind. It is legal to drive into a parking lot and exit the parking lot isn't it? It's a stupid ticket because it is up to the officer's opinion. Anything that is up to an officer's opinion is just silly.
Ya' know, it's funny. In the red light camera thread, people complain because cameras have no judgment. They would prefer cops only be allowed to give tickets, since they can use their judgment.

But in this thread, you don't want cops to use their judgment, you want to be able to outsmart them.

If a cop sees you pull into a parking lot, cut right across, and pull out, he will write you a ticket and he will win if you go to court. Judges & cops aren't idiots. They know the difference.

Basically, anyone who cuts thru a parking lot is saying my time is more important than your time and your safety. Think about it...

Old 08-27-2010, 01:40 PM

344 posts, read 1,187,325 times
Quote:
Ya' know, it's funny. In the red light camera thread, people complain because cameras have no judgment. They would prefer cops only be allowed to give tickets, since they can use their judgment.

But in this thread, you don't want cops to use their judgment, you want to be able to outsmart them.
Or they just get away with whatever they feel like doing.

Ah, I see you reached the same conclusion.
Quote:
Basically, anyone who cuts thru a parking lot is saying my time is more important than your time and your safety. Think about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston