Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 10:27 AM

410 posts, read 1,494,754 times

Advertisements

Anyone receiving unemployment benefits?

Gotta couple of questions.........

If I am getting the max that Texas gives per week in unemployment ($406) and eligible for a year in benefits (the maximum per year is $10,000 something) what happens when the $10,000 is used up? In doing the calculations $10,000 only lasts for about 5 months.

What happens to the other 7 months? Will benefits not be paid because the benefit year is used up or will there be some type of extension given on the monetary portion?

Yes, common sense tells me no additional money will be issued but I've been reading about the tiers of unemployment and hearing about extensions on unemployment but it only speaks of if you run out of weeks before November, you move on to other tiers, etc.

What if you don't run out of the monetary portion of your benefits until January? What happens to people in that situation?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 10:54 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post

If I am getting the max that Texas gives per week in unemployment ($406) and eligible for a year in benefits (the maximum per year is $10,000 something) what happens when the $10,000 is used up? In doing the calculations $10,000 only lasts for about 5 months.

What happens to the other 7 months? Will benefits not be paid because the benefit year is used up or will there be some type of extension given on the monetary portion?

Yes, common sense tells me no additional money will be issued but I've been reading about the tiers of unemployment and hearing about extensions on unemployment but it only speaks of if you run out of weeks before November, you move on to other tiers, etc.

What if you don't run out of the monetary portion of your benefits until January? What happens to people in that situation?

Thanks.
Go to plan B would be my guess.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:25 AM

295 posts, read 1,168,932 times
Quote:

Thanks.

wife had max unemployment (she works now).. anyway, after you used up $10,000 in say 5 months.. you will be on Federal Unemployment which about 20 weeks of benefit.. then another federal unemployment if you exhaust before deadline.. then another federal employent if you exhaust it before deadline..

refer to this link..

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/bnfts/benefitextensions.pdf (broken link)

Old 08-29-2010, 12:51 PM

I have looked at this document previously and from what I'm seeing everything says "if your benefits expire by November 10 or 27, 2010". Mine don't.......am I reading it wrong?

Old 08-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I have looked at this document previously and from what I'm seeing everything says "if your benefits expire by November 10 or 27, 2010". Mine don't.......am I reading it wrong?
the way i understand it.. i could be wrong.. you have to exhaust your benefit "before" the deadline.. in your case just wait for congress to extend the deadline.. they have done this a few times..

Old 08-30-2010, 12:46 PM

Hookthebrothaup......You don't have to answer a question with comment just because somebody posted something especially a smart comment like that, if you have nothing to contribute that isn't worth 2 cents, keep it to yourself....I have a "Plan B" so you could've skipped this question along with your response....

Thanks for the response Proud....I guess this document is updated depending on the extensions. I've heard about them but wasn't sure about how the extensions work.....

Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Hookthebrothaup......You don't have to answer a question with comment just because somebody posted something especially a smart comment like that, if you have nothing to contribute that isn't worth 2 cents, keep it to yourself....I have a "Plan B" so you could've skipped this question along with your response....

Thanks for the response Proud....I guess this document is updated depending on the extensions. I've heard about them but wasn't sure about how the extensions work.....
by november, near the deadline, you will know if congress will again extend the deadline for federal unemployment.. if they extend the november deadline to at least feb or march, you will qualify for federal unemployment tier 1

or even upto tier 2 or 3 depending on whether you exhaust it before the deadline or congress extends the deadline again..

Old 08-30-2010, 04:04 PM

460 posts, read 2,426,822 times
don't forget that unemployment compensation over a given amount ($2,400 last year) will be taxable. That may or may not be an issue depending on your financial situation. You can request that Fed taxes be withheld from the payments, if needed.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks tdhg......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: