Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:13 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
Take NASA and Galveston out of the entertainment equation for Houston and what do you have left?
The events at Reliant Stadium and Toyota Center (if we're going to mention Cowboys Stadium), not to mention everything else we ran down earlier.

It's pretty much the same as anywhere. If you can't pick up a newspaper or get on the Internet and find something going on, it isn't anyone else's problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 09:23 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
I am going to quote crbcrbrgv - because I like it and it's true:
I think more than any other city in America, Houston is what you make it.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:22 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,250 times
This is pretty sad news. But I've had the feeling it was coming for a long time.

The last time I went to the Angelika, for Agora, there was no A/C and everything looked in disrepair.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:29 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
I still don't know a single person who likes to go the Opera or Ballet. Borrrrrring.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
I still don't know a single person who likes to go the Opera or Ballet. Borrrrrring.
I don't know many people who like rock concerts, so what?

Different strokes for different folks. If *you* consider these things boring, don't go, but there are plenty of other things to do.

Of course, perhaps if you learned a bit about ballet or opera, they would be less boring to you. Have you ever seen some of the modern operas like The Telephone? Short and very funny. The Telephone, or L'Amour à trois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for ballet, I really don't know anyone who calls The Nutcracker *boring.*

Still, as I said before, to each his own.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:47 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I don't know many people who like rock concerts, so what?

Different strokes for different folks. If *you* consider these things boring, don't go, but there are plenty of other things to do.

Of course, perhaps if you learned a bit about ballet or opera, they would be less boring to you. Have you ever seen some of the modern operas like The Telephone? Short and very funny. The Telephone, or L'Amour à trois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for ballet, I really don't know anyone who calls The Nutcracker *boring.*

Still, as I said before, to each his own.
I'm not a 40 year old soccer mom with kids so I don't really get off on the Nutcracker. Sorry

Anyway, I still just am not interested in opera or ballet and don't know a single person who is. For me it my lack of interest in the type of classical music that goes along with it. For everyone else I know it is probably the same.

I just don't get boasting about something like an opera or ballet in Houston when 1.) pretty much every single urban area in America has them...and the exact same types of shows and 2.) when they really aren't even that popular to begin with. Don't get me wrong, it's nice that we actually have something like that...but I'm not spending my money to go see any of it.

I'm not saying that Houston has no entertainment...just that its offerings are not very diverse given the diverse people of the city and our massive size. And now the Angelika is gone, which is a great blow to the diversity in our entertainment. Let's not forget about KTRU (Rice radio) being sold, either. And people wonder why they say Houston is a cultural wasteland!

Last edited by glorplaxy; 09-01-2010 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-01-2010, 11:41 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
I hate Opera, but I really enjoyed Nutcracker.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:21 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
OK, glorplaxy, here's the dealio - I woke up on the right side of the bed today and it's a pleasant day in jfre81istan. Which is why I'm going to offer to help you out.

It's contingent on providing me with a little info - what do you like to do? Do you even go to local concerts? Name, say, three bands you like, could be local, local to another city, big national act, whatever. Bet you I've heard of them. Take advantage of this. If I wasn't in a good mood I'd not give a jolly damn whether you have anything to do or not. Or I'd tell you to go see the world and maybe spend some time in an honest-to-God "cultural wasteland." I did.

Or maybe you just need to create something to do. Remember when you posted J-Fest pictures and I said you were pretty good at that? I wasn't just saying that.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
I'm not a 40 year old soccer mom with kids so I don't really get off on the Nutcracker. Sorry

Anyway, I still just am not interested in opera or ballet and don't know a single person who is. For me it my lack of interest in the type of classical music that goes along with it. For everyone else I know it is probably the same.

I just don't get boasting about something like an opera or ballet in Houston when 1.) pretty much every single urban area in America has them...and the exact same types of shows and 2.) when they really aren't even that popular to begin with. Don't get me wrong, it's nice that we actually have something like that...but I'm not spending my money to go see any of it.

I'm not saying that Houston has no entertainment...just that its offerings are not very diverse given the diverse people of the city and our massive size. And now the Angelika is gone, which is a great blow to the diversity in our entertainment. Let's not forget about KTRU (Rice radio) being sold, either. And people wonder why they say Houston is a cultural wasteland!

I'm not a 40 year old soccer mom, either. Those are not the only people who like opera or ballet.

Film is not the only *culture* either. I love indy films. I am sorry Angelica closed, but... I bet you did not see My Name is Khan. It played here at the museum of fine arts. It was a sensation in London and it was a wonderful film.

There is an Indian Film Festival coming up in September which will be of interest to some, though not to everyone's taste

Indian Film Festival of Houston to Celebrate True Winners of Feature Films, Documentaries*|*Indo American News

We still have the River Oaks Theater, though I wish we had more venues. I came from an area where there were several venues for independent films.

River Oaks Theatre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston