Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:59 PM

249 posts, read 561,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Actually, I do find Hispanic people to be polite but more family oriented beneath their exterior, customarily speaking, when it comes to doing business. It is impossible to adjust to Texas just as it would be impossible to adjust to a region the size of New England with Pennsylvania included.
Here is a rule of thumb. The closer one gets to the big city, the less people living there realize they have a foot in poverty. Yet, the poorest of west Texans can seem just as prickly as their indegenous cactus because resources out there are less plentiful. As southerners of the deep south are the nicest of people, remember that Texas isn't part of the deep south while East Texans are the closest people to it.
Indeed, to a large extent, Texas is fast becoming a state of jerks. Who won the battle at San Jacinto? Was it Sam Houston? Nope. Was it the Texas army? Nope. Then just who did win the battle? Why, it was the "Yellow Rose of Texas" who, in his tent, had Santa Anna's pants down as the Texans came storming into his camp.
This fact should forever keep us Texans the most humble of all Americans. Instead, we elect arrogant, bull**** Texans to run our government. On every Texas Independence day, to say thank you for our victory over tyranny, we Texans should present roses to every prostitute in the state.
Actually, Emily West (the yellow rose of texas) was an indentured servant. She was captured by the Mexican army during a raid of the plantation she worked on, and was forced into "service" for Santa Anna. She wasn't a prostitute, she was kidnapped and raped, and for you to suggest otherwise is frankly incredibly offensive.

Not to mention the fact that that had nothing to do with winning the Battle of San Jacinto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 03:01 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,980,819 times
People seem to be like this in most places of the country. California is one of them. Not saying everybody is like this but more than half of the population in the US is very narcissitic. They could careless and are not interested in helping anyone but themselves.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:06 PM

56 posts, read 113,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcash View Post
Do not get offended or think any differently about any of us. You started a thread asking if you will be able to adjust to Houston because no one will help you. The main reason for the entitlement comment I think stems from this statement.
Meaning that your issues are someone elses issues which they are not. If you said "I took my little girl to the doctors and the receptionist was terrible" I woould have to agree with you they are sometimes. If you said " I just got back from the DMV and the people are idiots what is the deal with getting a registration changed?" Most would say yeah they are a pain in the ass. To suggest that we are all mean and you are not sure you like us because you had a bad experience and we did not help you with your "issues" well.... that's just plain rude.

... just sayin
I wouldn't get a sense of entitlement from that but ok...

I didin't think it was someone else's problem to solve. I'm just shocked at the level of indifference when trying to get help - yes help for my problem (not sure why that's not getting through). It is just different from what I'm use to, that's all.

I am sensing from some comments that actually expecting a sympathetic reaction to a request for help is somehow freeloading, arrogant or having an sense of entitlement...

It's just a different mentality I guess, thats all. This will be hard to get use to.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Well some of the posts in here are coming from transplants from SoCal.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:36 PM

81 posts, read 230,507 times
There are friendly and helpful people everywhere just as there are jerks everywhere.

With a positive attitude, the OP should adjust just fine.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
+1

Old 09-02-2010, 03:52 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh1 View Post
I'm gald your wife agrees with you. I'm sure you're a real Prince.

Sense of entitlement??? Rushing to my aid???? Down here grownups are expected to behave as such?????

And I guess that man the good Samaritan helped should have never been on that road to begin with...

I'm beginning to notice a pattern here...

Nothing in my comments suggested such a thing. It was simply a comment about getting help or being pointed in the right direction because that's what helpful people do. Maybe it is not indicative of the majority of people here but that's why I asked. All you are doing is reinforcing my orginal experience, which is unfortuante becuase so many others on this thread started to change my mind.
What can I tell you, it must suck to live in such a place where so many people just don't understand "what helpful people do." Here's a free piece of advice - just carry with you a big sign that reads, "I'm from NYC and you better help me right now!" That way, the rude Houstonians at the DMV, clinic, interwebs, etc. will all know to be nicer to you. Why, it might just change your mind!

Old 09-02-2010, 03:56 PM

56 posts, read 113,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
What can I tell you, it must suck to live in such a place where so many people just don't understand "what helpful people do." Here's a free piece of advice - just carry with you a big sign that reads, "I'm from NYC and you better help me right now!" That way, the rude Houstonians at the DMV, clinic, interwebs, etc. will all know to be nicer to you. Why, it might just change your mind!
Who needs signs with everybody being as nice, thoughtful, considerate, hospitable and kind as you?

Old 09-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
The DMV workers are all from Cali.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh1 View Post
Who needs signs with everybody being as nice, thoughtful, considerate, hospitable and kind as you?
That's me!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston