Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:08 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You are talking about 99. And yes, it is needed. The segment from I-10 to 290 will be heavily traveled when the work on 290 starts in a year or two. Instead of sitting on 290 in the middle of construction, go out I-10, jump on 99 up to 290, and voila, shave an hour off your commute.

Oh wait, there is no segment from 10 to 290. Build it already!
This depends on how far north of I-10 you live. Another note, they've started the freeway to freeway ramps at the Katy Freeway and 99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It isn't needed the whole way around. On the west side, yes. The rest of it is what tstone supposes it is.
The West side is needed, as well as the northern section between 290 and 59. This is especially true if the new ExxonMobil headquarters is built near Spring, and Earth Quest Adventures near New Caney. The Grand Parkway would run near both of these developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 04:12 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Yes they are.

And its very much so needed in the West side, as evidence, its very convenient to come home from Austin and to go back to Austin for school because of that and many others feel that way too. Over the last few years the traffic on SH-99 has increased dramatically, and there are more cops on there now.

Its also needed in the North side of Houston where Houston is developing the most rapidly. Montgomery County is supposed to top 1 million this decade and nearly double in its current population. This will be a good reliever system set and ready.

Also in my opinion its needed in the South side too, access to Galveston will become a thing of the past this will speed things up quite dramatically. Also currently Southwest, and the south sides of Houston are the most heavily populated areas in the metropolitan areas. This will be a good reliever system for this area as well.

I don't think the East side needs it right now, even though East downtown is developing rather fast the actual further out East side itself hasn't seen such a dramatic explosion of developments just yet. So they can take their time with that side.

Houston will have three loops and one semi-loop kind of thing once all this is done:
- Interstate 610 (loop)
- Beltway 8 (loop)
- Highway 99 (loop- under construction)
- Highway 6 (semi-loop)

Now they just need to show this kind of dedication to their mass transit, which is has a decent plan but could be improved upon.

But the other three sides of 99, lets get this thing done ASAP!

Also I agree with those that said Highway 6 forms a semi-loop in the middle of SH-99 & Beltway 8. It really does, the only inconvenience is the stupid traffic lights! That really slows everything down!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,066 times
Default NOT headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
[This is especially true if the new ExxonMobil headquarters is built near Spring, and Earth Quest Adventures near New Caney. The Grand Parkway would run near both of these developments.
Just a minor clarification: Exxon is NOT moving HQ from Las Colinas(sp?) in Dallas-Ft Worth area for Spring. They are building a big district office to absorb the folk in the old Mobil headquarter that housed a lot of corporate support and downstream people in Virginia. I think they are closing much or all of that complex over the next 2-3 years from what I've heard (no official source, just XOM acquaintances' rumor mill) The big hats at HQ's aren't going anywhere. Will be some nice salaries added to the Houston area economy and excess housing absorbed to keep real estate prices stable.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:30 PM

404 posts, read 1,031,019 times
It's needed, but what's needed more is light rail. Highways can only get so big...

Old 09-04-2010, 11:15 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
It's needed, but what's needed more is light rail. Highways can only get so big...
If you are trying to get around Katy and the surrounding area, you need light rail. If you are trying to get around the metro area, you need heavy rail.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:37 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Just a minor clarification: Exxon is NOT moving HQ from Las Colinas(sp?) in Dallas-Ft Worth area for Spring. They are building a big district office to absorb the folk in the old Mobil headquarter that housed a lot of corporate support and downstream people in Virginia. I think they are closing much or all of that complex over the next 2-3 years from what I've heard (no official source, just XOM acquaintances' rumor mill) The big hats at HQ's aren't going anywhere. Will be some nice salaries added to the Houston area economy and excess housing absorbed to keep real estate prices stable.
I know that. It's a possibility that the HQ could move from Irving (after all, they are building a shiny new campus). Fairfax is oming for sure, and that's thousands of jobs to the Spring area.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:58 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Just a little information about the sort of thing that gets destroyed by a project like this:
Katy Prairie Conservancy

FYI.
Unfortunately, building the Parkway will likely lead to paving and developing way too much of the Katy Prairie. Wonderful new starter home developments - sigh...Mother Nature loses again...

Then in 15 years we will say - Wow - look at all these homes - sure was a good thing that we built this Parkway.

There is much that I love about Houston-think, but this ain't one of 'em.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:25 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Wait your building more highways but you don't have enough to build a decent rail system. I guess the oil companies still control you guys down there , how pathetic.... I don't think Houston will overtake Chicago in terms of population at this rate since your not offering an alt to driving....

Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 AM

221 posts, read 611,387 times
wow I hope they stop building that garbage, it'll only encourage more people to drive

Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 AM

958 posts, read 2,573,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
Plans for 290 expansion seem too little--just the 290/610 interchange. Will it be enough?Work to begin soon on congested 290-610 interchange | abc13.com
From what I hear, the 290/610 interchange is stage 1 of the expansion starting 2011. You can't expand the top when the bottle neck hasn't been expanded. Bit backwards any other way.

Current estimates is over is higher than that of the expansion of I-10. Problem is there is no available funding. Everyone is broke. Local metro broke, Texas has budget deficits, and federal level Is beyond broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston