Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:29 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
From what I hear, the 290/610 interchange is stage 1 of the expansion starting 2011. You can't expand the top when the bottle neck hasn't been expanded. Bit backwards any other way.

Current estimates is over is higher than that of the expansion of I-10. Problem is there is no available funding. Everyone is broke. Local metro broke, Texas has budget deficits, and federal level Is beyond broke.
They have had some bandaids (longer fourth lane inside the Beltway, longer exit/entrance lanes, etc.). They've helped with traffic flow a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Unfortunately, building the Parkway will likely lead to paving and developing way too much of the Katy Prairie. Wonderful new starter home developments - sigh...Mother Nature loses again...

Then in 15 years we will say - Wow - look at all these homes - sure was a good thing that we built this Parkway.

There is much that I love about Houston-think, but this ain't one of 'em.
Of course it will. In fact, there are MANY new communities and businesses planned in between I-10 and 290 from 99 over to Fry Road. This includes the continuation of many roads in Katy up to the 290 area (Mason, Westgreen, etc.), as well as the E-W roads. Nice grid setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Wait your building more highways but you don't have enough to build a decent rail system. I guess the oil companies still control you guys down there , how pathetic.... I don't think Houston will overtake Chicago in terms of population at this rate since your not offering an alt to driving....
What are you talking about? The oil companies control us? Look, the people are going to move to Houston anyway, and we can't be ignorant enough to think that they'll all move into the dense "urban" type environments. Freeways are needed just as much as rail (which is being expanded by the way). Actually, there will be a commuter rail stop at 99 and 290. There is a reason why Houston is the only major American metro to reduce ongestion since 2000, and that's with the population boom. Your area of the country's congestion increased, and that's with all that rail. You have to build both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 09:09 PM

404 posts, read 1,030,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
They have had some bandaids (longer fourth lane inside the Beltway, longer exit/entrance lanes, etc.). They've helped with traffic flow a lot.

Of course it will. In fact, there are MANY new communities and businesses planned in between I-10 and 290 from 99 over to Fry Road. This includes the continuation of many roads in Katy up to the 290 area (Mason, Westgreen, etc.), as well as the E-W roads. Nice grid setup.

What are you talking about? The oil companies control us? Look, the people are going to move to Houston anyway, and we can't be ignorant enough to think that they'll all move into the dense "urban" type environments. Freeways are needed just as much as rail (which is being expanded by the way). Actually, there will be a commuter rail stop at 99 and 290. There is a reason why Houston is the only major American metro to reduce ongestion since 2000, and that's with the population boom. Your area of the country's congestion increased, and that's with all that rail. You have to build both.
So let's build both then. Why is rail construction lagging so much? How large is the Houston metro now? 6 million and growing? I don't know of another metro area of its size that has no decent public transportation.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:50 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
So let's build both then. Why is rail construction lagging so much? How large is the Houston metro now? 6 million and growing? I don't know of another metro area of its size that has no decent public transportation.
But both are being built. Rail has just had more roadblocks from two Houston area congressman and Metro's lack of leadership. Still, rail transit is just one part of public transit. If Houstob's Park and Ride system was a commuter rail system, it'd be among the most riden in the country.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:00 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
How much is Houston spending on Rail for this decade?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,113,448 times
Quote:
How much is Houston spending on Rail for this decade?
Depends on what gets approved, the economy has really changed many things. Furthermore, many freeways and rail projects are both being put on hold or scaled back across the nation.

This project being talked about is a tollroad, so it will ultimately pay for itself, unlike freeways/highways and rail, and is viable to build even in this economy.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:51 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,915,672 times
Quote:
Wait your building more highways but you don't have enough to build a decent rail system. I guess the oil companies still control you guys down there , how pathetic.... I don't think Houston will overtake Chicago in terms of population at this rate since your not offering an alt to driving....

Yeah.

I've been to New Jersey (lived in The City for 3 years, plus frequent trips for business).

You've got a lot of nerve lecturing us, chief.

Houston's got NOTHING on New Jersey in the "Screwed up roads" department. And I'm not just talking about that cesspool across the Hudson from the City, I'm talking about downstate as well. Overall, your roads are shockingly lacking.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:33 AM

404 posts, read 1,030,566 times
^That's kind of like saying Texas has crappy roads since a lot of them out of the cities ARE terrible. What's the point of attacking another place in the US? This thread is for Houston, not New Jersey. I'm sure you can find a place to criticize their highways on their part of the forum.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:47 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,915,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
^That's kind of like saying Texas has crappy roads since a lot of them out of the cities ARE terrible. What's the point of attacking another place in the US? This thread is for Houston, not New Jersey. I'm sure you can find a place to criticize their highways on their part of the forum.
Have you ever read any of my posts on here? No? Gee, I've never seen yours, either.

I'm retaliating for the nasty gibe about Houston's roads (which I personally consider pretty good) being owned by the oil companies, from someone in New Jersey, which that New Jersian put ON OUR FORUM.

Get all the way over yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston