Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:17 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Yeah another Walmart that is going to end small businesses around the area.

Stop supporting Walmart.

Small businesses that sell the exact same things Wal Mart does but at higher prices. Honestly..who wants that? Small businesses are good but in order to work in America they need to offer something special that you can't get at places like Wal Mart for much cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:25 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,066 times
I'm not shallow enough to care about paying a premium to help Americans. I'm not going to spend hundreds more but I'm not going to blink about spending one extra dollar for jeans or a shirt if it means it was made in the USA and not Korea.

Walmart is hurting this country period.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,649 times
Korea? Why would Wal Mart have clothing made in Korea? S. Korea is a very rich and industrialized nation.

Stuff made in America is very overpriced, if you haven't noticed, because you are paying for more than just the item..you are paying the high wages that people earn from manufacturing them.

Anyways, if you don't like the way Wal Mart works then become a communist. Capitalism is the reason why Wal Mart has become what it is today and capitalism is the reason why our companies produce so many goods in countries other than America. So, by your logic, capitalism is hurting the country, not Wal Mart. If it wasn't Wal Mart it would be someone else under a capitalist system.

How about this: you go and get a job working in a sweatshop for 12 hours a day making jeans if you really want to bring manufacturing jobs back to America.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,637 times
Quote:
I'm not shallow enough to care about paying a premium to help Americans. I'm not going to spend hundreds more but I'm not going to blink about spending one extra dollar for jeans or a shirt if it means it was made in the USA and not Korea.

Walmart is hurting this country period.
If the majority of Americans felt that way we wouldn't be paying $25 for checked luggage. The fact is that the all important factor for most poeple is the price. It IS possible for a small business to compete against Wal-Mart, or Costco or bigger stores; they simply need to offer something that is in demand that hte big store does not. It is the same formula that has been around since ancient times. The "something" doesn't even need to be a physical good. It might just be something like "good customer service" it might be "time". Who hasn't run in to a convenience store to buy something at 150% the price of a bigger store just to be in and out in 1/10 the time? Wal-Mart is successful because it gives the American public what it wants. Anyone who competes with Wal-Mart must do the same thing. Anyone who wants to BEAT Wal-Mart must do it better.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:29 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
It's plenty to get excited about for people who live in near this Wal Mart and cannot find a job in this current economy. 450 jobs means 450 less unemployed people. Who cares if the people who work there won't be able to buy Audis and town homes? Are you that shallow?
I'm beginning to sense an inferiority complex with this one.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:32 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,941 times
Quote:
Yeah another Walmart that is going to end small businesses around the area.

Stop supporting Walmart.
But they increase my standard of living (isn't that their motto?)! If you can't compete in a global economy you need to take a time out and develop some valuable skills -- it's been heading this way for 20 years now, no more excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: