Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why are you thinking about moving to houston ?
We cannot afford to buy where I am living now 30 19.74%
We are fed up with extreme weather and cannot tolerate snow 28 18.42%
We are moving-down and want to have lowest mortgage payments possible 9 5.92%
We want to invest in stocks more of our money gained on Equity by buying a less expensive home 4 2.63%
Job transfer 50 32.89%
Lower living expenses 51 33.55%
Houstonians are really nice and we want to be part of them 28 18.42%
Other 34 22.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:31 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,092,487 times

Advertisements

hi all LOL
yeah SCCA racing is where the commoner gets to duke it out with the country's best cars and drivers. kinda like the US Open for drivers. Theres a bunch of national (more like regional) events and once a year 2000+ drivers from the east coast to the left coast and even from canada make the trip to topeka for the championships (1 or more events). I dont think I can haul a car for 3 days one way so I've been itching to go for 8 years. so here we are
this is a huge deciding factor for me plus i have some family here. anyway, i'm building my wife a japanese garden (nevermind HOA rules) so I think she'll understand. I've been a good husband since we got to houston! i only work on the car once a month now
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 08:49 AM

20 posts, read 91,433 times
Default Weather, Job Opportunities, More Culture

We are relocating to Houston for the reasons above plus lower real estate costs, better schools and I hear the people are nicer than those here in Siberia a.k.a. West Michigan

Old 07-03-2007, 09:14 AM

377 posts, read 1,341,376 times
Thanks for everyone sharing their views..

I was so fed up with folks from east/west saying "Houston is a dry place", "Its a desert" and all crap like that. From the comments of folks who moved to Houston from there, it appears that we do have better climate than them. We may have a hot summer but we do enjoy nice weather Oct-April where most others have to deal with snow and freezing.

One more thing is Hurricane. Media made a big deal about RITA and the evacuation nightmare. (I think Houston Mayor should have handled it better by telling WHO should evacuate -zip code- rather than shouting GET OUT to everyone). but anyways, that is the only one major weather related issue in the recent past. But still, folks elsewhere try to use that to trash Houston.

Well, it appears they do not know what they are missing.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:15 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,633,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretogo View Post
Thanks for everyone sharing their views..

I was so fed up with folks from east/west saying "Houston is a dry place", "Its a desert" and all crap like that. From the comments of folks who moved to Houston from there, it appears that we do have better climate than them. We may have a hot summer but we do enjoy nice weather Oct-April where most others have to deal with snow and freezing.

One more thing is Hurricane. Media made a big deal about RITA and the evacuation nightmare. (I think Houston Mayor should have handled it better by telling WHO should evacuate -zip code- rather than shouting GET OUT to everyone). but anyways, that is the only one major weather related issue in the recent past. But still, folks elsewhere try to use that to trash Houston.

Well, it appears they do not know what they are missing.
Houston is a dry place? Seriously? First time I've heard that! I thought they prided themselves on being so much more educated... sounds like they don't know their geography.

Houston always gets bad press. From the cheerleader mom murders to Enron to Andrea Yates to the crazed jilted astronaut, it never fails...

Haha, he did! He advised the folks in harm's way in the southeast to clear out first, but people from all over Houston panicked and flooded the freeways before Clear Lake, League City, and the rest could even make it to the city. Katrina had just happened... can't say that I blame them. I evacuated for a hurricane shortly after moving to Louisiana and the traffic was just as bad. Took me six hours to get from NOLA to Baton Rouge, normally an approximately one-hour drive! Any way you slice it, evacuating millions of people ain't gonna be easy.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:10 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,384,201 times
Yeah, he did do that. Houstonians just left regardless. Same thing happened on the way back, too. There was heavy traffic on both I-10 AND I-45 like a day or two after the hurricane.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,254 times
Default Most of the Above!

It seems like a great city - housing costs are reasonable, low unemployment, and no snow - more than I can say for Michigan!

I'm assuming you're an Houstonian. Can you tell me if the demand for teachers is as strong as I hear it is, or is it overhyped by the media? What other jobs are hot? Also, what is the snake/scorpion/spider situation?

Thanks for the info!

Old 07-04-2007, 10:41 AM

8,852 posts, read 11,641,249 times
What about rain and flooding? A friend whose daughter lives in Katy told her it's been raining non-stop for about a week in Katy. Is that true? Not that it's bad or anything. I am just curious.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:53 PM

75 posts, read 195,482 times
Talking AZ has become another CA

I just bought a house in 529 area for 1900+ sq ft house for 134k
Where we live in Phoenix (Ahwutukee) it would be 350-375k.
In Scottsdale 425-475k, In SD or south Orange County 725k on up.
The only draw back to Harris country is those dang ole property TAX!

Old 07-04-2007, 04:38 PM

75 posts, read 195,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
What about rain and flooding? A friend whose daughter lives in Katy told her it's been raining non-stop for about a week in Katy. Is that true? Not that it's bad or anything. I am just curious.
It sure seemed that way, it rained everyday we were there ...HARD.
For 8 days. It rained more in one hour than Phoenix gets all year.
We are moving from the driest place in earth to the dampest....seems that way...

Old 07-04-2007, 10:10 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,384,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
It sure seemed that way, it rained everyday we were there ...HARD.
For 8 days. It rained more in one hour than Phoenix gets all year.
We are moving from the driest place in earth to the dampest....seems that way...
That is a good thing. That keeps Houston so lush and green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu2u View Post
It seems like a great city - housing costs are reasonable, low unemployment, and no snow - more than I can say for Michigan!

I'm assuming you're an Houstonian. Can you tell me if the demand for teachers is as strong as I hear it is, or is it overhyped by the media? What other jobs are hot? Also, what is the snake/scorpion/spider situation?

Thanks for the info!
With the rate Houston is growing, there is always a need for teachers in the new schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston