Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why are you thinking about moving to houston ?
We cannot afford to buy where I am living now 30 19.74%
We are fed up with extreme weather and cannot tolerate snow 28 18.42%
We are moving-down and want to have lowest mortgage payments possible 9 5.92%
We want to invest in stocks more of our money gained on Equity by buying a less expensive home 4 2.63%
Job transfer 50 32.89%
Lower living expenses 51 33.55%
Houstonians are really nice and we want to be part of them 28 18.42%
Other 34 22.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:41 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Tornado View Post
Left Texas thinking I could get away from my problems........... little did I know you can run but you can't hide. Finally solved my probs and now I want to come HOME
Boy, does that sound familiar and....oh wow, you're in the Carolinas?

You sure do appreciate Houston now, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 10:02 PM

43 posts, read 216,066 times
Default I need a change

Why am I thinking of moving to Houston? The quality of life in NYC is terrible if you're not wealthy. Apartments are small and most are not in good shape and ridiculously expensive. Real estate prices are astronomical. Between parking and insurance, owning a car is cost-prohibitive. People here are not particularly friendly. And this city has lost its edge, which is mainly why I moved here in the first place. Oh, and did I mention terrorism? And what evacuation here would be like under any circumstances (weather-related or otherwise)? Impossible.

I know that Houston is not perfect and all places have their problems, but in Houston it seems like it would be possible to have a better quality of life than it is here. (I don't intend to spend all my time in traffic, either; I would live in the Inner Loop or quite close to it.)

Old 08-23-2007, 10:17 PM

43 posts, read 216,066 times
So is the reason you left NC because of the overall cost of living there? I have never been to Raleigh but I read a lot of the posts and it seems like it is an expensive area compared to the salaries (unless you get lucky with a job transfer or a really good IT job). It seems that relatively inexpensive real estate is the draw for a lot of people to move to that area (and it seems like a beautiful area) but between the 35% pay cut and the fact that it doesn't seem to be an inexpensive place to live, they wonder why they're not getting ahead. And a lot of people seem to have trouble finding work there.

Would you agree with the above? Houston seems to be a better fit economically for a lot of people (and it might be for me also). And I know there are other things in life besides money, but money is important . . .

Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 PM

I was told on their forum that if I made $50K at RTP and wanted to own a house I need to commute all the way from Clayton, which is not far from where I lived. You might as well be commuting from Katy to downtown here, especially as more people pile into Cary and North Raleigh and onto 40 going to RTP. Houston does not have a better public transit system than most large metros, but it beats the Raleigh area. Though you will not get to experience the whole city, it is possible to live and work in Houston and still have access to some things to do. It just takes a little more legwork than most people are willing to put in, especially given the summer heat. (That is an issue in both places)

Old 08-24-2007, 12:13 PM

84 posts, read 354,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretogo View Post
It may be intresting to find out, why many folks are thinking about moving to Houston. Please vote and share your comments.

A random sampling of Sarasota, Florida, and what you can buy here for $149,900:

http://cfonde.smugmug.com/photos/187403779-O.jpg (broken link)

A random sampling of Houston, Texas, and what you can buy there for $149,900:

http://cfonde.smugmug.com/photos/187403781-L.jpg (broken link)

Get the picture?

Old 08-24-2007, 01:08 PM
MxL

92 posts, read 509,937 times
Default Job caught our attention, but learned much more since

Originally my fiance was offered great jobs in medicine in Tuscon-AZ, Lexington-KY, Detroit-MI (our current area), and Houston-TX. We've always thought casually about how much we'd like to live in Texas someday, so when that offer popped up it drew our attention immediately. After doing some research it became clear that Houston was by far the best place out of those 4. We'll miss our home turf in the Detroit area but I think we're going to love it in Houston. After all I think I'll be able to get Michigan football and the Pistons on satellite so I'm all set!

What most sold us on Houston is the weather (long humid summers and beautiful winters beats short humid summers and long blizzard-filled winters every time!), activities near-by (including year-round golf), the Medical Center, beautiful communities (ie. West U), the great things we've heard about Texas hospitality, great apartments for the money, and potential to buy or build in the future for a much lower price than we could have here. Having the ocean/gulf just a road-trip away doesn't hurt either.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:56 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeIsGood View Post
We were fed up with the bad schools in our coastal area in CA. We had a tiny yard and were growing cramped in our home. We couldn't upgrade to a bigger home because it would cost us 750K..and still in a bad school district.
In Houston we could upgrade in a better neighborhood with better schools (where ART, MUSIC, P.E. is provided in public schools).

I have met four other transplanted famillies in my commuinity and I've only been here two weeks!

I'm so enjoying it here...where we see deer on a daily basis. My kids have seen so much of nature living in Sienna Plantation..they love it. And the water park rocks! This was our dream---that could never have taken place in CA.
Pretty much sums up my story, except we've chosen Kingwood to live in.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:44 PM

96 posts, read 370,948 times
For those of us migrating from the Northeast, Houston is a much welcomed change. Summers are hot and humid, but the winters are great. Golfers can pretty much play 9 months out of the year. Job opportunities are outstanding in Houston compared to the Northeast. Combine that with the cost of living, the diversity, the opportunity to do just about anything you could do in NYC or Philly (for cheaper), and it's a perfect fit. The schools seem amazing too.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:18 PM

You can play golf just about year round here; you just have to be careful with the summer heat.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:25 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,939 times
Reivax,

Could you please post here what can you buy in Orange County CA with $149,900?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston