Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why are you thinking about moving to houston ?
We cannot afford to buy where I am living now 30 19.74%
We are fed up with extreme weather and cannot tolerate snow 28 18.42%
We are moving-down and want to have lowest mortgage payments possible 9 5.92%
We want to invest in stocks more of our money gained on Equity by buying a less expensive home 4 2.63%
Job transfer 50 32.89%
Lower living expenses 51 33.55%
Houstonians are really nice and we want to be part of them 28 18.42%
Other 34 22.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:39 AM

35 posts, read 108,281 times

Advertisements

Flo-

that is easy. Here is what you can get in the OC for that amount of money.

Did you see that picture? No? Because there isn't one. You could not even buy a studio condo for that in Orange County...that is why I am almost out of here.....( 6 months and counting)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 07:39 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
Reivax,

Could you please post here what can you buy in Orange County CA with $149,900?

A new Mercedes and enough money left for lunch, right?

Old 08-27-2007, 07:41 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasnat View Post
Flo-

Did you see that picture? No? Because there isn't one. You could not even buy a studio condo for that in Orange County...that is why I am almost out of here.....( 6 months and counting)
that was funny

Old 08-27-2007, 08:18 AM

33 posts, read 125,623 times
You forgot a option on the vote questions:

"I am an unemployed illegal alien from Mexico with no future in my home country. I hope my plan to clean toilets and do construction will help my family back in Mexico and secure some kind of future since the conservatives in Mexico have decided I should be a wage slave".

Old 08-27-2007, 09:29 AM

268 posts, read 1,488,619 times
We moved to Houston 1 year ago because this is the 2nd highest cost of living adjustment for IRS employees after San Francisco. Crazy huh? Houston pays more than D.C., Chicago or N.Y. We had the choice of Jacksonville or Houston and hubby really wanted to move here for the higher pay since he'll retire in 15 years. I wanted FL again because we lived there for 3 years before living in Cincinnati and I missed the beach. Now that were here, I'm happy because we just bought a house and can afford for me to stay home for the time being. We live in Katy now and I think it's a nice place to raise a family. We won't be moving unless hubby gets a promotion to a city/state where housing isn't astronomical.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:12 PM

84 posts, read 354,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasnat View Post
Flo-

I wouldn't exactly say that you can buy nothing for $149,000. I DID see a few mobile homes at that price. So, I was wondering what you would actually have to spend to buy a studio condo in Orange County. I located this 682 sq. ft. 1 bedroom, 1 bath unit. Price of this handsome :::cough, cough::: unit, $249,900:

http://cfonde.smugmug.com/photos/188633527-O.jpg (broken link)

In Houston, I located THIS property that you can purchase for $10,000 less than the Orange County property. A sprawling estate of over 4,000 sq. ft. Asking price, $239,900:

http://cfonde.smugmug.com/photos/188633529-L.jpg (broken link)

This is fun!

Disclaimer: Sarasota_Blues is NOT a Realtor, nor do I play one on TV.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:53 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,431 times
Sarasota-

You have to be more specific with that building in Orange County CA.
The building looks OK but you`re not getting the whole building in the picture...inside that building there is ~600sq ft you actually buy for $239000.
I figured i have to be more specific since ppl in other parts of the country don`t really know how expensive So Cal is.

And all this for what?...Oh you`re right So Cal has nice weather...

Last edited by flo2900; 08-27-2007 at 06:14 PM..

Old 08-29-2007, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,837 times
I'm moving to be near my family in Livingston, Tx. I'm not quite ready to move back to the small, hometown. I'm still deciding between Dallas and Houston, though.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:45 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainluv View Post
I'm moving to be near my family in Livingston, Tx. I'm not quite ready to move back to the small, hometown. I'm still deciding between Dallas and Houston, though.
Houston's closer to Livingston....no mountains nearby no matter which one you do though.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:07 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
I am originally from Chicago. I moved with my wife to McAllen, Texas (the Rio Grande Valley) so she could finish her degree. If you are from Texas, there is little reason for me to explain why we left the Valley however one might wonder why we chose Houston over Chicago. The reasons are simple. Housing is much cheaper. Pay is not that much less. There is just as much to do. The weather is much better. The restaurants are just as good and I would argue many restaurants in Chicago such as Charlie Trotter's are overrated. Houston is just as diverse as Chicago and much more integrated. In Chicago there are still neighborhoods where a guy named Kolanski will get beat up by a bunch of guys named Hennessy for walking on the wrong side of the street.
I could go on for days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston