Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why are you thinking about moving to houston ?
We cannot afford to buy where I am living now 30 19.74%
We are fed up with extreme weather and cannot tolerate snow 28 18.42%
We are moving-down and want to have lowest mortgage payments possible 9 5.92%
We want to invest in stocks more of our money gained on Equity by buying a less expensive home 4 2.63%
Job transfer 50 32.89%
Lower living expenses 51 33.55%
Houstonians are really nice and we want to be part of them 28 18.42%
Other 34 22.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:29 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times

Advertisements

Hey, we moved from Chicago too. Actually we moved to the New Orleans area first (3 years ago) and moved here in July. I voted other in the poll because while my son's move is job related, we moved to stay near the grandchildren.
(Hubby is retired).

While Charlie Trotters may be over rated, Chicago has many little ethnic restaurants that are wonderful. We lived in Evanston and Cross-Rhodes is a wonderful little Greek Restaurant. For Sushi, you can't beat Kuni's Japanese Restaurant. For Vegetarian fare, The Flat Top Grill and Blind Faith are wonderful. Chicago Hot Dogs at Mustard's Last Stand are phenomenal. The 1800 Club offers a night club setting with live music. Lupitas offers great Mexican food - they even did a Like Water for Chocolate theme for a while. Mandarin House offers Chinese food (haven't been there since it is new since we moved, but there was a great Chinese restaurant in downtown Evanston when we lived there). Kendall College has a dining room for it's Chef's school that is quite a nice place too.

All of this was within walking distance or biking distance of my home in Evanston or an easy train, bus ride if you don't walk or bike.

While I like Pearland for the people, I must say the weather here is awful. The heat is unbearable for 6 months of the year and my allergies go on all year round here. You don't have to evacuate from snow, you just stay inside. You can layer up in the winter, but you can't take off enough to be comfortable here in the summer. That said, it's better than Louisiana, if only because the neighborhood is walkable and the people are lovely. We do have a community pool and a park within walking distance, just not shopping. I wish Houston would extend the rail line to the south border of the city. It would be lovely if they would put a commuter rail in the center of 288 like the one we have in Chicago on the Dan Ryan too. Oh, well, you make the best of things wherever you decide to live.

You are right about Houston being much more integrated, btw, though it's NOT more integrated than Skokie, IL where we moved after we sold our Evanston home. Pearland reminds me of Skokie in lots of ways except that we don't seem to have any Hasidim here. We do have African Americans, Indians, Pakistanis, Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, other Hispanics and various Caucasians living together in what seems to be harmony here (I'm too new to know if there are tensions under the surface)

Dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Houston's closer to Livingston....no mountains nearby no matter which one you do though.

I was raised in Livingston through jr. high and high school and all my mom's family is there, so, I know I'll be coming back to the humidity and piney woods near Livingston with no mountains in sight. It will be worth it to be nearer to my parents (my dad lives in Amarillo) and family. I haven't seen the Rockies first hand, so, I'll take a trip up there one day.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:50 PM

36 posts, read 124,479 times
Hello, I moved from Minneapolis due to the extreme cold temps. We wanted to choose a fairly large metropolitan area close to the coast. That gave us the option of California (which I love, but waaaay too expensive) Florida or Houston. Florida is nice, but at the time Houston just had a more favorable job market.

I knew Houston had a lot to offer from previous visists, but I am still blown away by the culture, diversity, cost of living and the short distance to the coast.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:31 PM

36 posts, read 103,636 times
I'm currently near Detroit & I dont have to tell anyone from this area why I might want to relocate. As for those of you who have never been to this area.... The summers are short & can be very humid & hot. This past summer we had many days 90 +, and very humid. We have no issues with hot/humid weather & can easily escape to A/C.

I have friends that just moved to Cary, NC & other friends that moved to Houston. Both sets of friends are pleading their case for their perspective new cites. I have been through NC, but never Texas. I dont have a great job here, & I'm not being transferred by a company. The friend that moved to Houston worked with me here in MI at a Ford dealership for the last 10 years or so. He says he's making great $$$ at a Toyota store doing the same thing as he did in MI. He says its definately hot/humid but makes a good point that its better than the extreme cold. I'm also told that the housing market is well below that of MI. Nice homes at affordable prices.

Now, I would like to hear from others that have moved from my current area & have made it work.

Thanks!

Steve

Old 06-18-2009, 10:23 AM

12 posts, read 27,056 times
Living in Houston 9 years. Good things:1.) great place to get your career started 2.) great place to buy first home and car 3.) great place to meet first significant otherBad things: HOWEVER... very bad place for a young single professional who is looking for advancement you will soon meet the popular "GOOD OLE BOYS CLUB". Far too conservative, live in the 1950's with stepford wives (for real), and somewhat intolerant to diffrent cultures at the top levels of society. Don't want to be mean but want to tell the truth. I will be moving to California, got a better job there.Tiffany....

Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany Holmes View Post
Living in Houston 9 years. Good things:1.) great place to get your career started 2.) great place to buy first home and car 3.) great place to meet first significant otherBad things: HOWEVER... very bad place for a young single professional who is looking for advancement you will soon meet the popular "GOOD OLE BOYS CLUB". Far too conservative, live in the 1950's with stepford wives (for real), and somewhat intolerant to diffrent cultures at the top levels of society. Don't want to be mean but want to tell the truth. I will be moving to California, got a better job there.Tiffany....
Where exactly do you live? Don't just tell me "Houston."

Old 06-18-2009, 03:09 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
I moved from San Jose, CA to Houston, TX back in 2003. Mainly because of low cost of living vs salary expenses.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:42 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,138,191 times
I want to move to Houston to be near my adult son and to hopefully find a better job with health insurance and benefits. I lived in a small town north of Dallas for about 11 years (originally from Missouri-where I now live) and I miss Texas. I am tired of the cold winters with snow and ice. I'm tired of minimum wage jobs in this rural area. My only concern is finding an apartment I can afford because I've only done office-type work most of my life. But like my son says, sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:19 AM

99 posts, read 292,968 times
We are a young family with kids and graduate degrees (lawyer and elementary school teacher). I have always liked Texas. Houston has diversity and career opportunities for both of us. Housing market is more than affordable. The city has culture and a great variety of things to do. Exposure to the big city and its amenities is something we think kids should naturally have while not being forced to grow up in the innercity like I did. Generally, Houston is a centrally located city in the U.S. so traveling to other places should be somewhat easier to do. We love to eat...well at least I do. Houston has every major professional sport along with ballet and broadway. I want to give my wife and kids the best life imaginable, and this appears to be the city where I can make it happen.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:02 AM

61 posts, read 142,159 times
Quote:
I'm moving for quality of life; not only for me, but my children.. more house for your money, better weather.. lower cost of living.
same here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston