Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:06 PM

131 posts, read 298,465 times

Advertisements

I'm a 31-year-old single white female with liberal-leaning views. I've lived in Ohio my entire life and I despise it. I'm currently looking to move to a REAL big city (Cleveland, OH doesn't count!) with a vibrant young, single set and thriving downtown scene. Does Houston meet this criteria?

I need some hardcore, very truthful answers. I'm thick-skinned, so feel free to be blunt! Here are a few more questions:

1.) I'm aware that Houston is hot, but is it humid? The Midwest is extremely humid in the summer months, but I'm not sure how it compares to Houston in this regard. How often does it rain? Does Houston have many days of plentiful sunshine?

2.) Are there job opportunities in Houston for people in the public relations field?

3.) I've heard that Houston is quite a cultural mecca, and that it is rising in the ranks. Would you say there are plenty of cultural/artistic entertainment options in Houston?

4.) I have a small dog (15 pounds). Is Houston a dog-friendly city? Would I be able to find decent/nice apartment complexes that allow small dogs?

5.) How does the cost-of-living in Houston compare to other major cities? For example, L.A., NYC, Chicago, Boston. What is the average rent for a decent/nice one-bedroom apartment located in or very close to downtown?

6.) How close to the ocean is Houston, in hours? Are there any lakes in or near Houston? Living near the water is extremely important to me.

7.) Is there racism and/or racial segregation in Houston? Again, I'm liberal and very open-minded, so the less of the above, the better.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 08:34 PM

25 posts, read 53,436 times
I'm a 31-year-old single white female with liberal-leaning views. I've lived in Ohio my entire life and I despise it. I'm currently looking to move to a REAL big city (Cleveland, OH doesn't count!) with a vibrant young, single set and thriving downtown scene. Does Houston meet this criteria?

I am a Houston native and have lived all over the city. While the city is primarily conservative there are areas such as Montrose, The Heights and other inner city areas that are very liberal.

I need some hardcore, very truthful answers. I'm thick-skinned, so feel free to be blunt! Here are a few more questions:

1.) I'm aware that Houston is hot, but is it humid? The Midwest is extremely humid in the summer months, but I'm not sure how it compares to Houston in this regard. How often does it rain? Does Houston have many days of plentiful sunshine? Extremely Humid!!!!

2.) Are there job opportunities in Houston for people in the public relations field? Not sure

3.) I've heard that Houston is quite a cultural mecca, and that it is rising in the ranks. Would you say there are plenty of cultural/artistic entertainment options in Houston? Yes, plenty to do and much more affordable than the other Big Cities!

4.) I have a small dog (15 pounds). Is Houston a dog-friendly city? Would I be able to find decent/nice apartment complexes that allow small dogs? Yes, shouldnt be a problem. Check out MidTown, they even have some apartments that allow large dogs.

5.) How does the cost-of-living in Houston compare to other major cities? For example, L.A., NYC, Chicago, Boston. What is the average rent for a decent/nice one-bedroom apartment located in or very close to downtown? Not even close, 1/2 the price of those you have listed.

6.) How close to the ocean is Houston, in hours? Are there any lakes in or near Houston? Living near the water is extremely important to me. 1 Hour but not much to see, it is water though....

7.) Is there racism and/or racial segregation in Houston? Again, I'm liberal and very open-minded, so the less of the above, the better. Racism/Segregation, sure it exists in every city, I would say that Houston has made great strides in the right direction. If your living in the inner city where most of the "free thinkers" live, it wont be an issue.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:36 PM

734 posts, read 1,081,340 times
1) Yes; it gets humid! even in the shade you try to catch a breeze and all you feel is more hot air. You can feel the weight and moisture in the air as soon as you walk outside.

2)Not too sure; but by the looks of it, there are better Job oppurtunities in Houston than most places.

3)I dont know about cultural Entertainment; But Cultural Food... Lord Yes; there are so many different restaurants iin Houston we have achieved the fattest city in America Award

4)Houston is dog friendly; depending on what Neighborhood you live in

5)Houston is Cheap... Very Cheap... I recently visited Chicago and the rent over there for a one bedroom equals the same for a 3 bedroom apt. here! I would say you could get a really nice decent place for around $800/mo. However YOU WILL NEED A CAR; so being "close" to downtown is all relative.

6) YOu can Drive to Galveston in about an hour-hour and a half. But trust me the "ocean" here is not pretty... not pretty at all!

7)There is some racism; but thats everywhere.. so dont expect people of different races to be completely mixing with each other but... for the most part there is no "segregation".

IF your looking for a REAL big city... then you might actually want to look somewhere else; Houston doesnt fit that description.

Your a mature professional so you would fit right in with Houston's single crowd; there are hardly any college aged people or young people in general around the bars and clubs so your OK.
Most of the younger crowd go to the more "cosmopolitan" cities; whereas Houston attracts the working class down to earth people.

Hope that helped

Old 06-25-2009, 09:09 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times
1.) I'm aware that Houston is hot, but is it humid? The Midwest is extremely humid in the summer months, but I'm not sure how it compares to Houston in this regard. How often does it rain? Does Houston have many days of plentiful sunshine?

Very, very humid. When it rains, it pours, but we have had drought like conditions lately. There are tons of days with sunshine.

2.) Are there job opportunities in Houston for people in the public relations field?

PR isn't my field so I don't know for sure but since Houston is the 4th largest city in the country, I imagine there are opportunities. PRSA members could give you the inside scoop.

3.) I've heard that Houston is quite a cultural mecca, and that it is rising in the ranks. Would you say there are plenty of cultural/artistic entertainment options in Houston?

Absolutely, especially museums and theater.

4.) I have a small dog (15 pounds). Is Houston a dog-friendly city? Would I be able to find decent/nice apartment complexes that allow small dogs?

Probably...it will just be a bit harder to find a place than if you were pet-free.

5.) How does the cost-of-living in Houston compare to other major cities? For example, L.A., NYC, Chicago, Boston. What is the average rent for a decent/nice one-bedroom apartment located in or very close to downtown?

Definitely less cost than those cities. Rents vary quite a bit depending on how luxurious the complex is.

6.) How close to the ocean is Houston, in hours? Are there any lakes in or near Houston? Living near the water is extremely important to me.

The Gulf of Mexico is about an hour away. People like to bemoan the lack of scenic beauty but it still means something to live near the water. If you are willing to drive farther, you can find beaches that are just fine. Use Google images to view Port Aransas and South Padre Island, for instance. They are both within driving distance.

7.) Is there racism and/or racial segregation in Houston? Again, I'm liberal and very open-minded, so the less of the above, the better.

No more than any other large city where all types of people have all types of views. And I don't believe that the Inner Loop is the only place with liberal and open minded people, as some would have you to believe. There are some of us in the 'burbs as well.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:33 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,741,755 times
If you want the ocean its either a 13 hour drive to the Atlantic or a 21 hour drive to the Pacific.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:42 PM

734 posts, read 1,081,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
If you want the ocean its either a 13 hour drive to the Atlantic or a 21 hour drive to the Pacific.

HAHAHA nice one

Old 06-25-2009, 10:02 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,123,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Or a 5 hour drive down the coast line past Corpus Christi.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:07 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,274,061 times
My girlfriend is from Cincinnati. While she speaks fondly of Ohio, she says she would not leave Houston for Cincinnati. Also she says the Houston heat is easier to deal with than the Ohio winter.

Speaking of lakes - look up the Texas Hill Country. Or here Texas Hill Country Tourist Guide There are a few nice lakes there, and it is very scenic country. You are about a 4 hour drive from that. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:27 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,220,437 times
Word of caution....either have a job lined up, or bring sufficient cash to survive for a year if you are coming this way. Jobs are not as plentiful as they look and things will be getting alot worse around here if this latest CO2 bill passes.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:31 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,491,466 times
1) No way to sugar-coat it, Houston's humid. Houston's very humid. But, for about nine months out of the year, that makes it a very pleasant place to be. Right now? Not so much. Also, it rains here regularly, especially in the spring and fall. We are smack in the middle of a sub-tropical climate zone, but if you're worried there might not be enough days of sunshine to satisfy you, worry no more. We have plenty of sunny days.

2) I couldn't tell you, but as others have suggested, come with either a job already secured or with a healthy savings account. Even though we were a bit insulated from the effects of the recession, we weren't completely immune.

3) Yes. We have some of the most visited museums in the country. Our theater district is the second largest concentration of theater seating outside of New York's Broadway district. Live music is readily available at of number of bars and clubs and major music venues. Not only are these things available, you can often find many things to do for free. On the weekends, my family and I are rarely in our home. We're too busy at the parks or at the beach or the museums. I never get bored (except during the week while at work - guh).

4) No problem. I rent and my dog weighs around 50 lbs. Some places charge higher pet deposits than others. Some won't charge anything. Just do you research and don't be afraid to comparison shop.

5) The cost of living is considerably less in Houston than either of the other cities you list. Considerably. Don't let anyone tell you different. Sure, you can spend a ton here, but it isn't even remotely necessary to do so in order to live well.

6) Houston's downtown is 45 miles away from Galveston. Yeah, it's silty, but it's better than nothing, and it still ain't exactly the worst beach I've ever seen. I've never spotted any used syringes, nor have I torn my feet up on rocks. And as far as lakes go, we've got Lake Houston, Lake Conroe and Lake Livingston all within short drives. Watersports are big in a city this hot.

7) As others have noted, racism is everywhere. It's no worse than any other place, but it's better than most. It's truly the most integrated of all the large cities in Texas, and it ranks near the top in the US. You'll be fine. But, one caveat, if you leave the city and venture into the country, most especially East Texas, you may encounter some atavistic types, the remnants from an earlier time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston