Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:18 PM

52,593 posts, read 47,758,254 times

Advertisements

If the subject is "What have you done for me lately?", then Houston wins in week one of this regular season. The Texans did make a statement by defeating the Colts at Reliant with that elusive running game that they've so desperately needed. The Cowboys lost to the Redskins in Washington in a low-scoring affair, but I have faith that they'll get their marbles together. You can't really compare the two franchises based on all-time stats, as one started fifty years ago and the other is an expansion team which isn't even a decade old. You can forget about the Oilers, and I don't need to tell you what you already know about the Cowboys. Give the Texans a little time, and they'll finally make the progress of getting to the playoffs. It takes time to build dynasties and championships. At least, Houston's team has learned from their mistakes, and they've built through the draft, so if they can put together a decade-long run of excellence and be successful with it, then they'll be a winning franchise once and for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 01:21 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,228,701 times
I'm kinda with Matt on this one. I grew up in SE Texas. We were closer to Houston and New Orleans than Dallas, but we had so many bandwagon tee-shirt Cowboy fans. My girlfriend at the time told me about her friends husband, a grown man in his mid 20's, who had a Cowboys shrine in one of his rooms. I saw it and couldn't believe it. I had several guys in college (Lamar, Beaumont) razz me because I was a Houston fan. All my family was Cowboy fans (although I did have utmost respect for Tom Landry) I just got tired of being force-fed Cowboys from all the bandwagon fans.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:23 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,885,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I can't wait till Houston slaughters Dallas again in a few more weeks. Shut those Cowgirls up for good. They'll find another excuse though. They always do.
If Houston beats Dallas in Week 3, the excuse will be "it was the Texans' Super Bowl". Even though many claim the Texans' Super Bowl was against the Colts in Week 1.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:28 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,881,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
If Houston beats Dallas in Week 3, the excuse will be "it was the Texans' Super Bowl". Even though many claim the Texans' Super Bowl was against the Colts in Week 1.
The Texans weren't even a team long enough to make it to their own Super Bowl back in 04.

It was the Panthers Vs. Patriots.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:33 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,563,814 times
I am a fan of both teams. But two wins do not mean much overall. Hopefully the texans can get to the level of the cowboys overall but its not going to be easy to maintain that. Then of course they have how manyy championships;super bowl victories and appearances. I thought so.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:37 PM

52,593 posts, read 47,758,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The Texans weren't even a team long enough to make it to their own Super Bowl back in 04.
They could by 2014 if Houston is awarded another opportunity to host a Super Bowl, MM. I haven't heard the latest, though.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:54 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,881,139 times
I still think its funny the Dallas Cowboys used to be called the Dallas Texans & Houston snatched that name up real quick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Texans_%28NFL%29

LMAO

Kind of a slap in the face if you ask me.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:26 PM

634 posts, read 1,443,603 times
I am neither a Cowboys or Texans fan, but love to watch good football. I recorded both the Cowboys/Redskins and Texans/Colts game and must say that objectively-speaking, the Texans look like the most complete team. Whether the Texans' performance against the Colts is indicative of their having overtaken the Cowboys is a different question and should be laid to rest until more games have been played, in my opinion.

A few things I took away from the games:

Cowboys/Redskins

For me, there was something missing from the Cowboys' offense which presented itself toward the end of last season, and most specifically during their defeat of the Saints. The offensive line lacked discipline. True, injuries had placed them in an uncomfortable position, but these gentleman are being asked to play at a very high level, are they not? Even so, Romo, refrained from making too many mistakes, that ridiculous lateral notwithstanding. And that's important. Cowboys' fans will hope that he continues to show some poise in the pocket, make plays, but more importantly, get more points, even against aggressive defenses--which I believe was a fitting description of Washington's defense that night. The Redskins' offense was anemic, so even while Donovan McNabb showed he still has great arm strength and can even skidaddle out of the pocket for important yardage, I didn't see anything from the Redskins which should have resulted in the final scoreline. Dallas beat themselves.

Texans/Colts

What more can be said about Arian Foster? The man was on fire. The Texans did indeed need to beat the Colts at home if they are to be taken seriously in their division, much less the league. They appear committed to playing as a team (recall the commentator's mention of Johnson's willingness to focus on the run so long as it means wins), and that's huge to my mind. Schaub had moments of brilliance and appears in command of the offense. And Mario Williams was pivotal to creating confusion and making Manning uncomfortable in the pocket. Still, Manning did eventually throw for some 400+ yards if I'm not mistaken. But, well, we are talking about Peyton Manning. The Texans were efficient on both sides of the ball and they stuck to their game plan. They didn't look as confused as they have in seasons past. Perhaps Kubiak has finally found the pieces to the illusive puzzle? Who can say?

There's a reason why there is a whole season, is there not? And even the most zealous of supporter would be foolish to jump to conclusions on the basis of one game. As mentioned, I am not a fan of either team, but I look forward to seeing how they move forward.

Cheers!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:47 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,885,421 times
Remember this though, Manning threw for over 400 yards, but that was in garbage time. His last two TDs and his last 150 yards passing thrown were when the Texans were playing the Prevent defense (for the final seven minutes). Basically, the game was over. It's why the Colts onside kicked it twice (after each of Manning's last two TDs). Stats don't tell the whole story of the game. The Texans dominated.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:47 PM

882 posts, read 2,237,989 times
Can't forget about the Cowboys actually winning superbowls, though, can we, Texans fans. Also, even if the Cowboys only won 1 playoff game last decade, they've actually made the playoffs and had more than 1 winning season in the last decade, for those who say Cowboys haven't done anything since the last superbowl they won.

With that in mind, I am a Texans fan, and proud of it. Here's hoping for a great season. In a perfect world, can you imagine the Texans and Cowboys winning their conference titles? A Texans/Cowboys matchup at Arlington for the superbowl would be spectacular. Just dreaming though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston