Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:44 PM

471 posts, read 850,933 times

Advertisements

I wonder why Europeans don't buy vacation houses in Part Aransas or anywhere else on the TX coast

Old 09-17-2010, 12:52 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
What do people do at the beach? What kind of question is that? The most popular type of vacation by far is going to the beach.
stop being daft I did not ask what people do at the beach, I asked what do you do that you get bored so quickly?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:11 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,267 times
Quote:
What do people do at the beach? What kind of question is that? The most popular type of vacation by far is going to the beach.
Then why would you care if Destin is the "Redneck Riviera" (very cliche, by the way) if the attraction is the beach? Travel forums show visitors from all over the place. That's it - not going to debate Florida's beaches, its strengths or shortcomings as it doesn't move me one way or the other...whatever bloats your goat. For others, who are maybe not quite as limited in their thinking, a little more spontaneous, and willing to seek out places a 3-1/2 hr. drive from Houston - one of the very nice advantages of living here - our beach towns are fun. As for me, I can just hop in the car, roll down the windows, put on my music and enjoy the drive taking the coastal route just as much as the final destination, but that's what makes horse races.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:32 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
I hate the term "yuppies", don't know why...And I don't see the bad thing about the "suburbs culture", it's an efficient model, just not adapted for people in their twenties, but they're not so important (I'm 23) because they'll change in their thirties !

Old 09-17-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I hate the term "yuppies", don't know why...And I don't see the bad thing about the "suburbs culture", it's an efficient model, just not adapted for people in their twenties, but they're not so important (I'm 23) because they'll change in their thirties !
Not really. Who says that you need to live in the suburbs when you are older?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:45 PM

249 posts, read 561,840 times
Quote:
Try it out on google maps. Let's say the Randalls on Lousiana St and Hadley to El Tiempo on Washington. 14 minutes.
I'm not talking about Google Maps[mod edit- vulgar]I'm talking about what it actually takes because I LIVE IN THE HEIGHTS and drive it every day. Everyone who has ever used it knows that google maps SEVERELY overestimates travel time to anywhere. And you should be taking 45 to 10 from there anyways, much faster.

Also, I think it's funny that the "downtown" spot you picked is in Midtown and the "Heights" place you picked is in Rice Military.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:46 PM

249 posts, read 561,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I actually kind of like the term yuppie. A lot of people say it pejoratively, but I wear it as a badge of honor. I don't apologize for being a young adult that makes a ton of money. I worked hard for my yuppiness.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstaffor View Post
I actually kind of like the term yuppie. A lot of people say it pejoratively, but I wear it as a badge of honor. I don't apologize for being a young adult that makes a ton of money. I worked hard for my yuppiness.
It's not really the problem, I'll become a yuppy after my studies too , but the term is a little bit ridiculous, I don't see the uselessness to give a name to this category, it's too much !

Old 09-17-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Not really. Who says that you need to live in the suburbs when you are older?
Oh yes they'll change.It's a classic trend : At the beginning these young people want an urban lifestyle, but after when they have a family they want a more peaceful lifestyle, and go to the suburbs.
In the recent polls,48% of the Generation Y people say they will live in a suburb, it's more than previous generations !

Old 09-17-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Miami isn't a cosmopolitan global city
More so than Houston:

Global Cities 2010: The Rankings | Foreign Policy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston