Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:48 AM

471 posts, read 850,933 times

Advertisements

Good:

1. Solid fairly diversified expanding economy
2. Affordable and above average salaries
3. Variety of food
4. Most international in TX (more so than Dallas and Austin)
5. Good museums and arts scene

Bad:

1. Pedestrian unfriendly and spreadout (no real city feeling). Suburbs culture.
2. Unsophisticated night life (if you compare to NY, Miami, and L.A.)
3. Plain ugly for the most part (exceptions are Rice area, River Oaks, and parts of Montrose)
4. No pleasant surroundings and little to do on the weekend in terms of outdoors
5. Backward people's mentality about walking/public transport (you must be poor if you don't drive!). If you drive a scooter you must be gay.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:12 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
Pfffttt... A "scooter" in Houston is a Harley so don't even go there.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:25 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Ugly? You mean like Cinco, The Woodlands, New Territory, Memorial, Champions, Kingwood, the Heights, etc., etc.?

Houston is spread out and cars will always probably be a huge factor. I don't know how many threads it takes to finally come to that conclusion.

elnina is going to get on in any second and post about 25 links of things to outdoors here.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Ugly? You mean like Cinco, The Woodlands, New Territory, Memorial, Champions, Kingwood, the Heights, etc., etc.?

Houston is spread out and cars will always probably be a huge factor. I don't know how many threads it takes to finally come to that conclusion.

elnina is going to get on in any second and post about 25 links of things to outdoors here.
You are referring to places which are not even in Houston! Not to mention, a young professional won't find a cookie cutter suburb worth driving to.

Link as much as you like, people should know there are no mountains, hills, or decent beaches anywhere around. This place is not California or Florida. There is nothing to do on the weekends outdoor if you don't play golf.

One more good thing for Houston. You can fly to South Florida for cheap in 2 hours.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:40 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
You are referring to places which are not even in Houston!

Link as much as you like, people should know there are no mountains, hills, or decent beaches anywhere around. This place is not California or Florida. There is nothing to do on the weekends outdoor if you don't play golf.
Champions, Memorial, and the Heights aren't in Houston? And I thought I knew this town! I also thought we annexed Kingwood, on December 11, 1996.

Nope, you are right - we aren't in Florida or California.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Champions, Memorial, and the Heights aren't in Houston? And I thought I knew this town! I also thought we annexed Kingwood, on December 11, 1996.

Nope, you are right - we aren't in Florida or California.
I love it how you and others consider places to be "in the city", just because they carry a Houston address. It's not the same thing. That's what people rely on to say Houston is the "4th largest city" in the country. They don't mention that San Francisco for instance is a much bigger "city" properly.

Houston is a medium size downtown with a huge suburban sprawl. Heck even Midtown feels suburban.

Not to mention, there is nothing special about Memorial and Heights.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:02 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Need high-income yuppie jobs before any nightlife or outdoors or decent dining
Attractive young ladies tend to migrate to wherever money, not the cool and penniless, congregates

Only places with many yuppie jobs are SiliconValley and Manhattan, followed by SF, Dallas, Houston, Chic

Very few yuppie jobs in economically weak LA/OC region; FL has a joke of an economy, much like LV's

Weather/outdoors suck in NYC and Chic, no better/worse than TX

SiliconValley is workaholic, car-centric, suburban sprawl...but world's wealthiest, most highly educated corridor w/lots of wealthy yuppies...lots of outdoor stuff and natural beauty but no real nightlife, even in SF (people just visit nearby LA/LV on wkend when seeking nightlife and playtime)

Every region/industry offers a series of trade-offs based upon one's talent and career ambitions: Houston is global epicenter for energy industry much like SV is global epicenter for tech industry....easy enough to retire to wherever in one's 30s after earning one's money, to choose whatever lifestyle of leisure

Old 09-16-2010, 12:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
I love it how you and others consider places to be "in the city", just because they carry a Houston address. It's not the same thing. That's what people rely on to say Houston is the "4th largest city" in the country. They don't mention that San Francisco for instance is a much bigger "city" properly.

Houston is a medium size downtown with a huge suburban sprawl. Heck even Midtown feels suburban.

Not to mention, there is nothing special about Memorial and Heights.

If the Heights and memorial are not in Houston then Japan is on the moon.

People who can't find things to do here are either too lazy to look or too stupid to be able to. Houston is what you make of it. I am not a beach person, the waters in the US are too cold and clammy for my tastes. I don't do mountains, hell, I don't even do hills (so annoyed by those bumps in SA and Austin)
There are 49 states that are not California, and the same number that is not Florida. And you know what, I AM GLAD THAT ITHEY AINT.

who the hell would want a country that is 50 Floridas? Variety is the spice of life hunny, and I am glad that there is some place for everybody in the US.

If I want Miami I visit Miami. If I want LA I visit LA. I choose to live here because I like it here. IF the young professionals like FLA and Cali so much they can go find a job there.... whoops they can't. Well no place is perfect, places just have different priorities, and I tell you what, Houston fits my priorities just fine.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Attractive young ladies tend to migrate to wherever money, not the cool and penniless, congregates

Only places with many yuppie jobs are SiliconValley and Manhattan, followed by SF, Dallas, Houston, Chic

Very few yuppie jobs in economically weak LA/OC region; FL has a joke of an economy, much like LV's

SiliconValley is workaholic, car-centric, suburban sprawl...but world's wealthiest, most highly educated corridor w/lots of wealthy yuppies...lots of outdoor stuff and natural beauty but no real nightlife, even in SF (people just visit nearby LA/LV on wkend when seeking nightlife and playtime)

Every region/industry offers a series of trade-offs based upon one's talent and career ambitions: Houston is global epicenter for energy industry much like SV is global epicenter for tech industry....easy enough to retire to wherever in one's 30s after earning one's money, to choose whatever lifestyle of leisure
I agree with most you said except that:

The place with by far the highest concentration of attractive young ladies is Miami.

Miami/South FL is by no means Las Vegas in terms of economy. Huge financial center, commerce, and operations HQ of Latin America. Not to mention tourism is a huge factor, probably more so than in LV.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:17 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post

props to you my friend. They are over in SF complaining how they can't get any decent home over 600 square feet for less than half a million, so they move to Houston and the same amount of money got them a 3000 sq feet house with money left over to take 4 vacations a year, and all they do is complain that there is nothing to do. well take your sorry ass back to SF where there is lots to do and live in your cramped house, or stay here, and enjoy your big house with extra money to go on vacations and shut the hell up. The reason why you require lots of things to do in SF is because the COL is so damn high you can't afford to go anywhere.

If you have noyyt noticed, cities with walkable areas and fun things to do are overpriced, high strung hell holes. Leave my Houston alone, I don't want it becoming anything like Manhatten or SF. I like being able to leave SF or Manhatten when it gets too much. I am glad that not every city in the US is like that, and people have the choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston