Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 PM

51 posts, read 119,321 times

Advertisements

Ultrasound can be off by as much as 15% or so in either direction.
Find a new doctor, get a second opinion, and by all means, research and become as informed as you can. There can be no informed consent without accurate and unbiased information.
Please note that a second opinion should be someone not in the same practice as your current doctor.
I, personally, prefer a midwife, and use Jackie Griggs out of Pasadena. I believe had backup OB is Dr. Milner... on Bayshore in Pasadena, if you still prefer an OB.

Please know, that born that early, on the advice of a dr going purely of ultrasound, which has shown its self time and again to be inaccurate even in the best of situations, the baby would likely be in NICU for several months. Unless there is proof of the baby not growing AT ALL over several months, it would be far better off in the womb than out.

Now here is my CYA disclaimer: I am a childbirth educator and professional labor assistant. I am well educated on pregnancy and birth HOWEVER- PLEASE NOTE that my opinion should not be considered medical guidance or a professional medical opinion.

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 02:09 PM

543 posts, read 1,387,025 times
I don't know if it's fishy. Here's what I would do if I were in your situation.
1. Ask your Dr. to share the sonogram/ultrasound with other Drs in the same clinic. They are a team so they can do a team diagnostic.
2. At the same time, I would also get 2nd and even 3rd opinion from another clinic. DO IT FAST. I would drop whatever I'm doing, be on the phone and calling around to other clinics.

Taking a baby out of the womb is a big deal and should be evaluated with care.
You're right to be concerned. I would be.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:12 PM

543 posts, read 1,387,025 times
By the way, I would also evaluate the diet. Have you been eating rights for you and your baby? Eating is a quick way to increase baby's weight gain (my personal experience).

Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,159 times
WHY DO YOU PEOPLE POST THESE THINGS ON THIS FORUM? Post it on a medical forum or something!!!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 PM

222 posts, read 720,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
WHY DO YOU PEOPLE POST THESE THINGS ON THIS FORUM? Post it on a medical forum or something!!!
Because the OP recognizes that people from Houston are a lot smarter than the average person so our opinions count a little bit more.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:26 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
I see what you're saying but OP has received advice and information about doctors HERE in HOUSTON which is part of what she needed.

Many people ask for Houston-area doctor recommendations here.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:33 AM

404 posts, read 1,245,184 times
First post, worried about a baby on the way, sees Houston forum...and posts - not the biggest infraction in the world. No need to refer to others as "YOU PEOPLE."

Old 09-21-2010, 12:14 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
First post, worried about a baby on the way, sees Houston forum...and posts - not the biggest infraction in the world. No need to refer to others as "YOU PEOPLE."
Made me think of Chapelles "Mad Real World" skit.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:39 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,404 times
Back in the day mothers were told to keep their weight down during pregnancy so I did just that. I lost weight during my first trimester and then only gained 7 pounds. I'd like to know how your doctor could explain the fact that I gave birth to a daughter weighing 9lb. 4oz. Nutrition is the key, not quantity of food so to my mind uping your food intake would only serve to put pounds on you, not on your baby. Get a second opinion.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:21 PM

51 posts, read 119,321 times
It works the same with me being 26 weeks pregnant with twins and until a month ago not gaining a pound. My babies are large (as have all my previous babies, with no weight gain). I am slightly overweight though, so basically they fed off of me. The baby will always take what it needs, unless mom is lacking in that from the start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston