Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,181 times

Advertisements

I filled out an app at some apartments in Houston, Westheimer/ Hilcroft area, they said they needed $95 to hold the apartment. I was a bit concerned with their broken security gates but I was told I would get 703, right near the office in the front so I felt better about that. Then, I was told a week later, that one would not be available on time, they assumed for some reason I was moving in much later than I put on my app! I asked for a map of the new location and pictures of the apartment. I am out of state and could not go look at it in person. They said OK they would get tem sent that day, never happened. I did finally get a map but never the pictures they agreed to send and all I was told is it's the same layout. I was moved to the back of the complex, down stairs, right next to the broken gate that was not going to be fixed. I was also hung-up on about 8 times, put on hold and forgotten about twice. With the unprofessionalism and the fear of security I decided I did not want the back apartment and I did want a refund, they refuse. Is this legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 08:49 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
The back of the lease application, at the top, is where they fill out the pending lease information. In other words the info that will transfered over to fill in the blanks on the boiler-plate lease form. If that information included a specific move in date for a specific apartment number, and they were not able to meet that, then they are in default, not you.

Do not waste time arguing with the on-site staff. Demand the name and contact number of the Regional Director and explain that the apartment you contracted for could not be delivered, therefore, they are in default. You can get into the other issues as well with the Regional Director.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 PM

128 posts, read 130,085 times
They rarely put that in writing. Safe to say you lost that deposit. Unless you can talk them into refunding it.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:06 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
You might need this info:

Houston Apartment Association
Resident Relations 713-595-0300 x 4

Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HilaryC View Post
They rarely put that in writing. Safe to say you lost that deposit. Unless you can talk them into refunding it.
All of that should have been filled out on the back of the TAA lease application. That is standard practice, not a rarity. The only time they wouldn't is if it was a "floating" deposit on a floor plan that was not readily available to assign it to and you are waiting for a specific floor plan to come available.

The HAA line can provide a resource for resolution, but it is a lengthier process. Going directly to the property supervisor will probably yield much quicker results.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:25 PM

They rarely put in writing which apartment you will get..

Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
I thought the application was address specific. If not, management there isn't good.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
You are absolutely wrong. It is written on the back of the TAA application. It has to be in order for them to know who is getting what apartment & to update their systems. I spent 20 years in the apartment business, I know.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:13 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Write a letter?

Does anyone actually write anymore? Many, many years ago I had an apartment management company keep my deposit. The company counted holidays, and weekends when their office was not staffed as business days. They made it clear they would not deal with me, but I did not stop there.

I found out who the parent company was and their corporate office address and wrote a cursive letter to the company explaining why I thought it was wrong of them to keep my money, and the only response I got was a check issued in my name for the deposit.

Good luck.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
You are absolutely wrong. It is written on the back of the TAA application. It has to be in order for them to know who is getting what apartment & to update their systems. I spent 20 years in the apartment business, I know.

No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston