Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 12:44 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,167,452 times

Advertisements

So we moved into SCR in June and yesterday I received a nice (good paper) Homeowner Bill of Rights from our HOA manager. Very nice paper with a response card titled "How Are We Doing"? Now I'm all for giving feedback, but what were they thinking when they sent this solicitation of feedback and I have to pay for the postage to send it back? WTF?

In response, I sent an email to the President of the HOA management firm indicating to her that I thought that was a bit ballsy and that her response rate would skyrocket if they'd pay for their own solicitation responses.

Ronnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 12:52 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,554,550 times
D'oh. You're paying the postage either way.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
D'oh. You're paying the postage either way.

My point exactly. It's included in my $850 per year.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:29 PM

115 posts, read 396,302 times
You're missing the point. Most HOAs do not want feedback from homeowners because feedbacks are usually negatives anyway. By them receiving your feedback means that they are obligated to "change" and HOAs do not want to change unless the HOAs get the benefit, not the homeowners. By not paying for return postage just tells you that they are not too eager to receive them, but at least they can say that they sent out the form, giving you the impression that they really care, which they do not. I know because I know someone who works for an HOA.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:34 PM

239 posts, read 638,627 times
15% is considered a good rate of return for any mailed solicitation. Even if you doubled that, pre-paid postage would still mean that your HOA would be throwing 70% of the postage down the drain. Given that level of waste, as a homeowner, I'd far prefer to pay for my own stamp and thank my lucky stars that my HOA didn't spend on predictable waste like that.

Moreover, anyone who doesn't think that standing up to have his or her opinion counted is worth buying a 28 cent stamp... is probably right about the value of their opinion and should perhaps best keep it to themselves.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettaClue View Post
15% is considered a good rate of return for any mailed solicitation. Even if you doubled that, pre-paid postage would still mean that your HOA would be throwing 70% of the postage down the drain. Given that level of waste, as a homeowner, I'd far prefer to pay for my own stamp and thank my lucky stars that my HOA didn't spend on predictable waste like that.

Moreover, anyone who doesn't think that standing up to have his or her opinion counted is worth buying a 28 cent stamp... is probably right about the value of their opinion and should perhaps best keep it to themselves.
Speaking of getting a clue.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston