U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:52 AM

101 posts, read 459,839 times

Advertisements

Hello. I was diagnosed with a protruding disk (L4, L5) & sciatica last Spring. I'm in my early 30's & not overweight. I have seen Physicians in Bellaire for Epidural injections & regular visits. The injections only last a week so I haven't had one since the early part of this year.

Plain & Simple:
If you are familiar with this condition, PLEASE recommend a good spine Dr. --- any part of town. This is now interfering with my career. I've had one Dr at Kelsey Main to tell me that there is nothing that she can do for me..."just do my best."

Thank You. Thank You. Thank You for ANY information.

Last edited by DeltaSigmaTheta; 09-28-2010 at 09:32 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 01:54 PM

3,333 posts, read 8,768,816 times
Bryan Williamson at Fondren Orthopedic Group.

http://www.fondren.com/bio.asp?principalid=50 (broken link)

Old 09-28-2010, 07:13 PM

637 posts, read 3,128,059 times
[quote=DeltaSigmaTheta;16063049]Hello. I was diagnosed with a protruding disk (L4, L5) & sciatica last Spring. I'm in my early 30's & not overweight. I have seen Physicians in Bellaire for Epidural injections & regular visits. The injections only last a week so I haven't had one since the early part of this year.

Plain & Simple:
If you are familiar with this condition, PLEASE recommend a good spine Dr. --- any part of town. This is now interfering with my career. I've had one Dr at Kelsey Main to tell me that there is nothing that she can do for me..."just do my best."

Thank You. Thank You. Thank You for ANY information.[/quote]

Nothing they can do??
It sounds as if you need a simple laminectomy at L4/L5 to remove the bulging disc off the nerve which is what's causing you pain. A good orthopedic surgeon can do this in their sleep. I had one done at L5/S1 about 5 years ago for a herniated disc.

Tried the chiro deal first, then tried the shots (lasted for about two weeks), finally contacted a Dr who specializes in these types of surgeries as it was unbearable by then. The pain from this was more than interfering with my career, it was debilitating to the point where I couldn't sit, stand, walk etc... Basically my life as I knew it had ceased; I wouldnt wish this on anyone.

I went to Dr. Kevin Moran. He has offices in Houston and The Woodlands; good luck getting through to his office though. I dont think he puts a lot of effort pursuing new business, must be lots of bad backs out there so he stays quite busy through referrals.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 PM

8,819 posts, read 18,827,442 times
Dr. Aldama is considered one of the tops in Houston

Alfonso E. Aldama-Luebbert, M.D. - NEUROSURGICAL GROUP OF TEXAS (http://www.neurosurgery-texas.com/aldama.htm - broken link)

Old 09-28-2010, 08:17 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,468,561 times
I sent you a PM, no matter who you choose do not let an orthapedic surgeon operate on your back. You want a good neurological surgeon, not an orthopedic surgeon.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:35 PM

125 posts, read 190,832 times
Three years ago I had horrible sciatic pain from an L5/S1 herniated disc. Driving for 10 minutes would be agony. My doctor referred me to a physical therapist and to one of the surgeons listed in this thread, who wanted to do surgery immediately. I said I want to see what therapy did first. My doctor also gave me this book:
Amazon.com: Treat Your Own Back (9780958269230): Robin A. McKenzie: Books
Three years later, I haven't had any surgery, and I have no sciatic symptoms. I believe this is due to the exercises in the McKenzie book, which are easy to do. I don't even do them very often now, about once or twice a week for 10-15 minutes.
If you go to a surgeon, they will want to operate. It is after all what they do. My advice - don't do it unless you've exhausted your other options.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:51 PM

125 posts, read 190,832 times
I would highly recommend my doctor - Camille Goff M.D. on Woodway. She is a general practitioner, and specializes in sports medicine. She was great. She instantly diagnosed my sciatica, discussed all the options with me, never pressured me, and encouraged me to read the McKenzie book which again I think is brilliant. There is a physical therapy group in her office. They were also very good, helped me develop an exercise program, which after about a month led to a dramatic improvement, and has kept sciatica away for three years even though I'm still overweight and still don't exercise enough. Every case is different. Physical therapy may not be the answer for you. But I would give it a good try first. You can always do surgery later.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:23 AM

101 posts, read 459,839 times
Thanks everyone for responding. This is NO joke. Last night as I was driving my leg got this really intense shot nerve pain, my ankles swell up from prolonged standing. Sleeping with a pill underneath or between legs aligns my back...keeping the spine from not hitting the nerve.

Not saying that he bad...I was seeing Dr. Francis & Dr. Chaudry at Spine
Associates in Bellaire. There were gracious enough to grant my short-term from work but they said that my case was not an easy one. No disrepect to them...I'm thinking that I should a neurologicl dr.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,171 times
Please visit www. SmpsClinic.com microdiscectomy may be your answer. However, a detailed neurological examination must be performed to arrive at an accurate diagnosis of your problem. Contact St. Michael's Pain and Spine Clinics in Houston at 832-448-0706. Best luck to you. Dr. Pappolla

Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,959 times
Default sciatica treatment in Houston

Try the neurologists at www.Smpsclinic.com . They took care of my pain without surgery after ten years of suffering with sciatica due disc degeneration and herniated discs. I had horrible low back pain and leg pain and failed 2 surgeries before. Hope this helps.

Last edited by RichardMathews; 01-31-2012 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: shows gibberish in postingee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston