Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:51 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

My impressons of Houston.

My only REAL impression:
I drove through Houston once...I went to the NASA Museum...then drove into the city...went through the downtown and it was very nice but looked dull, clean, quiet, and boring. Then I drove around on regular streets outward and got lost in what looked like a nice neighborhood next to downtown. I found my way on to a freeway, and drove westward seemingly with a large city feel going on forever with some rather large pickup trucks here and there (but not overwhelmingly), but just enough to feel like a TX feel to it...but not overwhelmingly so.

For the most part I didn't think much about it and was actually more interested in San Antonio and Austin. Both of which left me underwhelmed as much as they get talked about as being great cities, they seemed to just be alright cities. Then I drove westward out of Texas, loved it the more westward I got because of the scenery and drove out of the state.

PART II
However, familiarizing myself with city-data and looking up photos of all kinds of cities...I am still underwhelmed with San Antonio and Austin. I ended up regretting I bypassed Dallas, but not extremely so. BUT, I find HOUSTON to be amazing in photos. I fell in love with the many Montrose photos first. The odd shaped buildings and colorfulness and eclectic feel to it. Later I learned of 'no zoning' and became an instant plus..perhaps adding to the nice eclectic look of a place like Montrose.

Then I looked at skyscraper type photos and found it looked pretty good from that point...nice buildings. Having driven down there, I didn't think too much of it remembering it was kind of quiet though. But then I heard of all of the many underground stores and shops...and realized there might be a whole other world down there...and looking at the few photos I've seen of it, not a bad one.

Next I started looking at the demographics...and found a nicely balanced city...like 1/3 latino, 1/3 african, 1/3 white...interesting...and sizeable enough Asian population...with several chinatowns...and it seems like a decent size Vietnamese presense to feel it - I saw their are at least 1 or 2 radio stations in Vietnamese and enough youtube clips verifying perhaps something on TV as well, a network or shows. (I'm white, but lived in Asia for years, so Asian communities, food, restaurants strong appeal to me), and Vietnamese cuisine happens to be my #1 favorite bar none.

Additionally, having lived in SF & NYC...and incidently I felt SF was a bit too small after having lived in NYC...so when I look at the SIZE of Houston, it is VERY appealing. Combined with low real estate, a low cost of living and large city amenities...sounds like it'll certainly be NYC-similar enough, as much as a city could anyways without being a Chicago or Philadelphia or Boston (which actually don't appeal to me at all by the way), just NYC does.

HOWEVER...Houston has the WARM HOT climate...STRONG PLUS. Plus looks like the trees and plants that grow are quite varied...sounds like you can put anything in the ground within reason, and it has the potential to thrive there...combined with the many palms...and WOW. Incidently, I wonder if palms have had any discussion to make them more prevalent like they do in other sunbelt-cities - vegas, phoenix, los angeles, etc.

CONCERNS. I was a bit concerned with a very 'churchy' baptist feel. Yet, I was one who inquired if Houston had a churchy feel. I also asked this question in other southern cities trying to get a feel for it. I have nothing against church/religion/etc...but I fall more in-line with Catholic, and interested in Buddhism, and a whole range of stuff..and I've always found Southern Baptist to be a bit too much personally. Incidently, Houston passed with flying colors on my test...people described it as anything goes in Houston, it is there, but so is everything else, which is what I like. As long as it doesn't squeeze out everything else and takes away from the diversity and interesting aspects of other religions mixed in. I also did this same test in cities like Dallas and JAX and Raleigh...all of which failed quite miserably with at least a strong sense it was to be at least expected there on a regular enough basis. (I apologize beforehand if there are some great Baptists out there reading this who are offended by that).

Anyways, I'm still 'feeling' out the city...but the positives are really lining up. I still have a few other things I'm concerned about, but will save it for other threads/posts...I realize Houston doesn't need to accomodate my needs/interests whatsoever, it is more matching my interests with what a city offers, and Houston seems to keep adding up the plusses in my book.

Incidently, I'm American NOT living in the U.S. right now, but always examining my options for when I get back. I've been examining almost every sizeable city throughout the U.S., and the mass majority of places I have to keep writing off as I more thoroughly examine them. I have a few I'm already biased towards in the positive that are nothing like Houston, people would be surprised I am still considering them. However, amazingly Houston keeps 'hitting them out of the ballpark' with the majority of factors, I can't dismiss it and write it off my list either!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 05:05 AM

56 posts, read 144,693 times
ohio go ziemos tiger beer. i agree with you as an Am who has traveled wide and far, expect ME/Africa and i'm a native Houstonian. Houston is has just enuff big city-ness and low-profile downtime spots. Enjoy Japan!!

Old 04-24-2009, 10:38 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Great comments. I can see where you are coming from with the churchy/baptist feel as this is the South and Houston is known for its mega-churches. Due to its large Hispanic and immigrant population, Houston is a majority Catholic in reality.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:03 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
You won't get the churchy vibe in Montrose or parts of town nearby. It's largly a suburban vibe. That said, neither the Baptists nor anyone else will likely be beating a bible against your temple even if you were next door to a super church. I'm sure you'll find the occasional itinerant street preacher maligning your soul here, but that's no different than NYC or SF.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:19 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Lots of church attendence in the city and suburbs but I have yet to experience any North Texas style pushiness in either place. If you don't bring it up, it likely won't ever be brought up.

By suburbs, I'm talking about SW Houston, Sugar Land & Clear Lake. There is a decent amount of diversity in these areas, with a lot of different places of worship. People are generally respectful here. Some other suburb, I suppose your mileage may vary. Back in town there is plenty of church attendance including the world-famous Lakewood mega-church.

The mega churches are usually non-denominational and widely used for networking / business contacts.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:08 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
The mega churches are usually non-denominational and widely used for networking / business contacts.
Funny but true!

As far as Caltholic churches go you can find one in pretty much any part of town.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:01 PM

687 posts, read 2,127,745 times
There's a strong Buddhist community in Houston as well. Check out Vietnam Buddhist Center (http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/555377328WwuUXe?start=0 - broken link), one of several Vietnamese Buddhist temples. There are Shambhala Meditation Centers, Ligmincha Institute, Jung Center, etc... The Dalai Lama visited Houston about 3 years ago. There's also a Friends group in the Heights, very active with peace activities...

The roving bands of Mormons have all been very nice, and kind, even helping with a lot of yard work after the hurricane.

Also check out the beautiful BAPS Shri Swaminarayn Mandir (Hindu temple) in Stafford, constructed of 33,000 pieces of marble and limestone, all exquisitely fitted, without a single nail. The people are very warm and friendly, and quite happy to share their beliefs with visitors.

Last edited by karuna95; 04-28-2009 at 01:10 PM..

Old 04-30-2009, 09:20 AM

254 posts, read 464,342 times
Tiger Beer, I enjoyed reading your post. I grew up in Houston but now live in Philly. I can honestly tell you that I would move back to Houston in a heart beat! I love visiting my parents in Houston because it is everything you have said and more! When you explore the states again, link up with people from this forum. They will show you all of the great things in this great city! I think you will find that Houston is one heck of a city!

Old 05-01-2009, 05:12 AM

211 posts, read 566,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

CONCERNS. I was a bit concerned with a very 'churchy' baptist feel. Yet, I was one who inquired if Houston had a churchy feel.
I wouldn't be concerned with Houston's having a 'churchy' feel. I honestly don't think it does. I grew up in Houston. I'm Jewish. I was totally ensconced in my little Jewish life there. My point is, if you're looking to avoid the 'churchy' crowd, you can easily do that.

Scott

Old 05-01-2009, 03:50 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Great comments. I can see where you are coming from with the churchy/baptist feel as this is the South and Houston is known for its mega-churches. Due to its large Hispanic and immigrant population, Houston is a majority Catholic in reality.
I wouldn't say it is majority Catholic. I think you can find a pretty good mix of all religions here. Yes, there are a lot of Catholic churches but there are a lot of other ones as well. Don't think any of them are going to bug you though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston