Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:08 PM

429 posts, read 1,116,931 times

Advertisements

Hey. I'm about to graduate in May of this year and I totally want to get out of South Carolina. If the economy requires me to stay here, I'll head to Charleston, but that's a last resort.

But I digress. I am considering Texas. I'm hearing a lot of good things about it. Weather, nightlife, job market, etc. Really diverse too. Houston is an international city, and i really like that. Austin I heard is a really artsy but fun city and I'm into that too. I just can't pick. I plan to travel this xmas break and see all the cities I choose from this forum.

Just a few questions.

I'm Nigerian American and there's a huge lack of Nigerians in my area. Are there a lot of Nigerians in Austin or Houston and if so, what neighborhoods?

Tell me about the crime in both places. Which is safer?

Which city has the better all night nightlife? I'm single and 20 so I really want to explore the scene

What's the avg rent in both places? Which will tax me to death?

How's traffic?

Now, I'm not a fan of bigotry towards anyone, gays, blacks, religious groups, what have you. I heard some BAD things about Texas, like they discriminate or will lock you up if you're black and driving on the road, and lots of things. Should I worry about those things? Are they gross exaggerations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 01:42 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,741,755 times
Racism is not very bad in the cities, but can be out into the rural area. Property crime is high in both cities but much more violent crime in Houston. If your 20 I would say Austin will be more your scene, but it can be harder to get a job there than in Houston. Both places are becoming harder to get jobs in with the energy sector falling off a cliff.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:18 PM

756 posts, read 1,883,398 times
I have worked with and currently work with Nigerians. Houston has a sizeable Nigerian community and you will definitely enjoy the city. Austin is young and a party town, not very diverse, but not racist either.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:41 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Austin is a fun town but its harder to make decent cash there. Houston is nice for a large city, rent is reasonable and it is an international hub. In terms of diversity H-town has more. Move to midtown or near the Galleria that seems to be the areas w action.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:56 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,484,637 times
Houston has a HUGE Nigerian community. I met ONE Nigerian (although I'm sure there are more) when I was a UTer in Austin. Also, I think Nigerians are thought of with a lot more respect, even reverence, in Houston ... Akeem Alajuwan and Imobi Ikoye are basketball and football Ikons here. Lesser known are guys like Mr. Lawon of Camac International who owns the second largest black-owned corporation in America which has large Nigerian Oil and Gas production and cement-import/export through the Port of Houston. He is so widely respected by the greater business community that he was elected to the Board of Directors of the Port of Houston. Houston is a good place where Nigerians are thought of as high-achievers, not e-mail scam artists.

I'm not knocking Austin - it's a great small city. It's just not the Nigerian capital of the south with approx 60-100K Nigerian and other West Africans. You'll enjoy Houston - big Redeemed Christian Church, Mosques (incl the one Akeem got married in), Anglican/Episcipal Churches, W African social clubs where live WA bands are brought in, warm humid Niger Delta climate, mosquitoes (but no Malaria!), restaurants with Goat Pepper Soup , Fu Fu, Pounded Yam, even a fast food place with Suya Chicken! Austin's more of a government, hi-tech electronics, 2cd-scale movie industry, hippie/slacker town. (all of which can be good BTW depending on where you are in life). Houston is more of a go-go international business town with great classic culture (world-class theatre and museum district, ballet, symphony) and world-wide diversity of entertainment in the smaller clubs and venues on the side.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:29 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,887,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Houston has a HUGE Nigerian community. I met ONE Nigerian (although I'm sure there are more) when I was a UTer in Austin. Also, I think Nigerians are thought of with a lot more respect, even reverence, in Houston ... Akeem Alajuwan and Imobi Ikoye are basketball and football Ikons here. Lesser known are guys like Mr. Lawon of Camac International who owns the second largest black-owned corporation in America which has large Nigerian Oil and Gas production and cement-import/export through the Port of Houston. He is so widely respected by the greater business community that he was elected to the Board of Directors of the Port of Houston. Houston is a good place where Nigerians are thought of as high-achievers, not e-mail scam artists.

I'm not knocking Austin - it's a great small city. It's just not the Nigerian capital of the south with approx 60-100K Nigerian and other West Africans. You'll enjoy Houston - big Redeemed Christian Church, Mosques (incl the one Akeem got married in), Anglican/Episcipal Churches, W African social clubs where live WA bands are brought in, warm humid Niger Delta climate, mosquitoes (but no Malaria!), restaurants with Goat Pepper Soup , Fu Fu, Pounded Yam, even a fast food place with Suya Chicken! Austin's more of a government, hi-tech electronics, 2cd-scale movie industry, hippie/slacker town. (all of which can be good BTW depending on where you are in life). Houston is more of a go-go international business town with great classic culture (world-class theatre and museum district, ballet, symphony) and world-wide diversity of entertainment in the smaller clubs and venues on the side.
Really good post. I'm in Austin and your post makes me want to move to Houston sooner than later.

To our Nigerian friend: You would be welcomed either place. We do have a Nigerian population in Austin but there is no particular Nigerian neighborhood. Our crime rate is quite low, and Houston's violent crime rate is low compared with many large cities (e.g., homicides per 100,000 people). There have been some highly publicized racism cases of violence in a rural area or two in recent years, but in reality it hasn't been a big problem. Still, attitudes in the big cities are better. That's probably true anywhere in the country. Regarding traffic, both Austin and Houston have horrendous traffic. I would actually rather drive in Houston.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:25 AM

429 posts, read 1,116,931 times
that's really good to know!! I even recognize a lot of the names. They're from around my parents' neck of the woods, so I wouldn't feel too out of place. Neato!! Houston seems like a definite spot then. Traffic though sounds horrible.

The main reason most of my friends want to go to DC is because of the transportation but IDK, Houston seems just as big as DC, with an awesome nightlife, there's more to do it seems like as well. And I'd be used to the weather, which is a big thing for me. Houston is on the list then

Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 PM

8 posts, read 51,745 times
Austin is a lot more open minded and tolerant than Houston. It is very diverse in culture with tons of nightlife. Houston of course much larger, has a lot more crime. NW/NE Austin is growing and is very nice. As far as business growth, it depends on your industry, if you are in tech or a business related field Austin is doing very well. Houston as you have seen in the news has been hard hit by recent layoffs. So I gotta also throw this out to you as well...have you checked into Portland, OR or Seattle? They both are VERY diverse and have a huge Nigerian population. The nightlife and people in general are much more liberal than here in Houston. I am from the west coast and really miss certain aspects of life there. Houston is different, nice in a lot of ways, lots of trade offs. Just visit and do LOTS of homework before moving so you make the right choice for yourself...

Old 12-05-2008, 10:35 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post

They have a few Nigerian grocery stores (basically like Kroger) in Southwest Houston along Bissonnet. I love getting some meatpies over there. Timmy Chan's is across the street, so you can't beat that place either.

And to the OP, Houston has the largest concentration of Nigerians in the world outside of Nigeria itself and London, if that helps.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:38 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msanna View Post
Austin is a lot more open minded and tolerant than Houston. It is very diverse in culture with tons of nightlife. Houston of course much larger, has a lot more crime. NW/NE Austin is growing and is very nice. As far as business growth, it depends on your industry, if you are in tech or a business related field Austin is doing very well. Houston as you have seen in the news has been hard hit by recent layoffs. So I gotta also throw this out to you as well...have you checked into Portland, OR or Seattle? They both are VERY diverse and have a huge Nigerian population. The nightlife and people in general are much more liberal than here in Houston. I am from the west coast and really miss certain aspects of life there. Houston is different, nice in a lot of ways, lots of trade offs. Just visit and do LOTS of homework before moving so you make the right choice for yourself...
I wouldn't say Austin is more open minded than Houston. I would say they are about the same, but Austin just has a bigger stereotype. Houston has never had a Republican mayor, and the city is overwhelmingly Democrat. Also, Houston led the nation in job growth again this year (for the third year in a row), so the job market is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: