Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 12:30 PM

543 posts, read 1,384,038 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how bad the layoffs at the space center and its impact on the Clear Lake area? I'm anticiating that other companies that doing work for JSC will be laying off people. I read on the news that today is the last day for many people there. I know the Clear Lake area heavily dependent on JSC but I don't know to what extend. Are we expecting an economic downturn in the area?

I'm looking at a potential employment in Clear Lake area, near by JSC so I'm bit nervous. What would the area be like with all these layoffs? Are we expecting houses to be on sale, etc...

Is there a robust base of other businesseses in the area to make up for the lost of NASA funding? I'm in software so I'm wondering if the area has good employment opportunities for software.d

Last edited by MNCold; 10-01-2010 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Adding more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 02:10 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,638,718 times
I don't know if this is any indication, but on our street on the northmost side of the area, I'm only aware of one NASA worker and one contractor. The rest work in oil/gas/EPC, pharmacists & aspiring doctors (PA's), UTMB/UTHSC PhD's, engineers or superintendent-types at the plants from Pasadena to Baytown, airline professionals (Hobby) or own their own businesses. I'm not sure if this is indicative of the entire area, though, but I believe it is fairly diversified as far as professional/educated jobs go. I think there will be an impact if the whole bottom falls out of NASA, but the news of these 300 layoffs likely will not put much of a dent in the area right now. In the future, it could be a different story but we don't really know yet. So far the worst thing happening is local right wing radio hype, and loud-mouth Tea Partiers going off the deep end who keep claiming govt doesn't create jobs, our job market is imploding and property values are plummeting. Most of us (hopefully) understand this is mostly BS, but I'm afraid it will eventually turn into a case of ''say it enough and it eventually becomes true.'' These are the guys who are currently stagnating our property values IMO.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:31 PM

225 posts, read 596,232 times
MNCold - Houston does have software jobs. I work for a software company (in the web hosting industry) and we have quite a few other tech companies in town as well.

Probably not as many as Seattle or Silicon Valley, but there are jobs. My company is actually hiring. PM me if you want a link to the site.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:59 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,244,664 times
Yeah nobody knows yet. As of right now, it doesn't appear to be as bad as predicted. One news article I read said Clear lake would be a ghost town, but I haven't noticed anything remotely different.

I work in software for one of the contractors. We lost one person 2 weeks ago out of our group of about 30. And that was it. We are expecting layoffs on the order of 30% in April. However this was before the news of the NASA bill last Wednesday. For the past 8 months or so the news has been up and down.

I am told Houston has plenty of software jobs if you have the requisite experience.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:21 AM

8,893 posts, read 19,941,736 times
Even w/the layoffs I don't think Clear Lake/League City will ever become ghost towns - they are very nice areas to live in with a good quality of life. People are willing to drive a few miles to work if they can live in a good area.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:12 PM

543 posts, read 1,384,038 times
Thanks to those who responded. I also have the impression that the impact of the layoff is not very bad but I wanted to get local opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston