Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your thoughts on Houston's loops?
Houston's road infrastructure is great, if only their mass transit was too 23 82.14%
Houston's road infrastructure needs impovement 1 3.57%
Houston's road infrastructure and mass transit are terrible 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:54 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

I love Houston's Skylines! I also like Atlanta's too. But I like my hometown Chicago's best! But thats needless to say that Houston, Atlanta, Los Angeles, New York City, & Miami have impressive skylines of their own.

Downtown Houston:
http://www.baldheretic.com/pics/houston/sabinehdr.jpg (broken link)

Texas Medical Center:

Uptown Houston:

Greenway Plaza:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
have you guys seen this beauty?

525 Megapixel Panoramic Photo of Downtown Houston - Houston Architectural Photographer by Custom Minds Photography

Old 10-12-2010, 12:17 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
HA HA LOL! We've got several of those ATL too!

Old 10-12-2010, 12:21 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
I like that second one, it looks very green and beautiful too. Both cities have a nice skyline in general.

Here's our combined skyline:

Old 10-12-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Is the condition of Atlanta's economy noticeable there? Like if you were to go to Atlanta would you be able to say, by looking at it that the city has fallen to some economic hardships?
Naw, not really. I mean, there's noticeable maintenance things that were cut from budgets, like grass and weeds being cut alongside highways, etc. And some street projects have been delayed. Downtown has a lot of torn up pavement right now because they're redoing all the sewers, I think. But that's been going on for years.

The biggest thing is some really major construction projects have been put on hold or canceled all together. Trump Towers Atlanta was canceled I'm pretty sure, as were a few other planned high-rise condo towers in Midtown. But still others are being built so i don't know. It depends on who the developer / financier was.

The biggest project that's been stalled is Streets of Buckhead, this huge four-square-block redevelopment of Buckhead Village that will include like 8 condo towers, hotels, shops and restaurants all built around a central plaza. They've signed some of the most exclusive retailers in the world for that place but construction halted about two years ago and they've been trying to get it going ever since. So yeah, if you came to Atlanta and drove around, you'd see some stuff like this:

Here's what it's supposed to look like:

Also, Mandarin Hotel Midtown has been put on hold:

Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Atlanta has pretty high office and condo vacancy rates in its core, so a lot of things were put on hold and a lot were actually canceled. Atlanta did get a lot of new buildings from the boom, but like I said, the occupancy rates haven't been very good at many of them.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:52 AM

You are right. In fact, several luxury residential towers were already under construction before the recession hit were finished out and taken off the market, but have recently started selling again. They include The Atlantic in Atlantic Station, which is selling ... at bargain prices, but at least they are selling. This is a VERY VERY good time to buy real estate in Atlanta. Though overbuilt, the market will eventually rebound. They probably won't ever build all that was announced (Trump Towers has been canceled for good I hear) but the stuff that was already starting to come out of the ground should be finished one day. I don't think they're just going to leave a bunch of big empty holes all over Midtown. Midtown real estate should do very, very well for many years to come. The market potential there is still far from being maximized. These are all recently completed residential projects, so stuff is still happeneing in ATL:

THE ATLANTIC, ATLANTIC STATION

ALLEN PLAZA DOWNTOWN

LOWE'S MIDTOWN

TERMINUS BUCKHEAD:

THE MANSION ON PEACHTREE, BUCKHEAD

Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
HA HA LOL! We've got several of those ATL too!

could you explain what is what in that 2nd pic?? where is downtown/midtown/uptown??

I know Houston has more tall ones but Atlanta has a pretty impressive skyline..as a whole I like Houston's innerloop skyline all together..but I feel Atlanta takes more unique chances when it comes to designing there buildings..it's a few of those stand out buildings that puts Atlanta skyline UP THERE..we need less box buildings in Houston

Old 10-12-2010, 06:26 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
From which "ring" of Houston can one view it's impreesive skyline? Is the Grand Parkway too far to view the skyline?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
From which "ring" of Houston can one view it's impreesive skyline? Is the Grand Parkway too far to view the skyline?

lol, why don't you come visit more and find out

anyway, GP is too far out there to see anything good.

You get good views from 610, 288, 59, westpark tollway, 45, and I10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston