Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 AM

9 posts, read 21,543 times

Advertisements

Can anybody tell me if Reagan High School is a good school? How about the technology magent program - is it good? Are there certain circumstances where the school is good where it might not be otherwise (e.g. it is good if you take honors/AP classes but not so good for regular classes).

How about Waltrip HS?

How do either of those compare to Lamar HS?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 12:41 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
IMO they dont compare to Lamar. Lamar has the IB program and a strong prescence from the upperclass inner loopers. Waltrip may be changing due to the growth of Garden Oaks and Oak Forest but I still think its a little rough.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:23 PM

687 posts, read 2,127,745 times
Agree with westres1. Although Lamar HS is also very diverse, as it draws students from a large catchment area, in addition to West U and River Oaks, I think it has more to offer than either Reagan or Waltrip.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:58 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,102 times
agreed, neither of those other schools are in the same tier as Lamar.

Lamar, Bellaire and Westside are honestly the only "traditional" HISD high schools I would consider sending my kids to.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:22 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
And I would chose Westside over Lamar these days. It's always changing.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:50 PM

635 posts, read 1,704,269 times
As an ex Lamar and Waltrip alumni, they are totally different schools. At Lamar you find rich kids rejects that were not able to get to St. John private school and Waltrip tends to be more middle/working class environment.

I agree with above post, it seems that Westside is the new "acceptable" HISD school that "white" folks are sending their kids to for public education.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:54 PM

In my opinion middle/working class kids can get a good education at a good school. Although that means the culture of Waltrip is different, can a kid stay safe, have fun, and get a good education there?

Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions. It appears that Lamar and Bellaire are the better choices.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:10 PM

29 posts, read 52,224 times
Go to the schools websites...check out the demographics...the test scores....the blogs about the school from parents...that's what I did when choosing for my son. Also I called the school principles and asked if they have any openings...if I wasn't in the zone. They were all very nice and informative!

Old 10-22-2010, 03:20 PM

687 posts, read 2,127,745 times
The schools should also have a director for the magnet program. Talk to that person. Re: school demographics, some sociologists make the case that low SES is more of an indicator of school performance than race/ethnicity. Look for the % of kids on free or reduced lunch. Of course, look at the test scores too. However, realize that even large and well-known schools will have their bright spots (AP classes, IB programs, lots of language options and other extracurricular activities), there are also challenges (i.e. bullying, drug use, etc...) Schools are just a microscosm of the students' worlds. I think talking to school administrators is most helpful. Come in with a list of questions from school life to academic, physical and social activities. All the bells and whistles won't do any good for your child if she/he doesn't qualify for the program, or can't attend those activities. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: