Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:05 PM

73 posts, read 132,016 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Being an non-resident of Houston, I generally don't know much about Houston from personal experiences.
I have got admitted in UH & am hoping to live off-campus somewhat nearby UH.
While searching for Apartments off-campus I have come across many such complexes which looks very attractive & decent enough to stay.

BUT (This but is a big one)

Every Apartment I have chosen have been literally raped in terms of reviews & ratings in Apartmentratings.com
The kind of negative comments includes robbery,car theft,murder,sex offense,terrible management,roaches,poor condition of complexes & a lot of other stuff.

I'm really worried as the places which are given moderate to good ratings (above 50%) are very expensive, which being a student, I can't afford to stay.

I want to ask that is Apartmentratings.com really trustworthy ? Is so then please suggest me some apartments.

I want to live in an Professionally Maintained Property, which includes : (Single Apartment - No Sharing)

Furnished Room
Internet
Parking Lot
Washer/Dryer/Dishwasher
....etc....

My budget is about 600 - 650 USD, which includes the food & house rent.

I want an apartment which is nearby UH & is safe enough ,has all the amenities & is within my budget.

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 10:21 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default Believe it....

Not unique to Houston, any apartment complex will try to sell itself by hiring a reputable photographer to take the "best" shots of the complex. Of course, they will also say they have a great environment, close to everything. They are not going to say they are located next to a ghetto.

The best way to find out where to live is to do exactly what you did today... ask the residents of Houston. And let me be the first to say, almost all apartments around UofH are not good, many ghetto. Those that are nice will have a higher cost usually. If you cannot live on campus, then you might move further out where you can either ride the bus in, or have just a short drive, and especially where other like minded people live.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:28 PM

739 posts, read 2,136,610 times
The area surronding U of H is not the best of neighborhoods. Normally, I would suggest you live on campus but there have been a couple of rapes and murders (or attempted murders) on the university owed apartments.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:33 PM

This has been discussed in other postings. See

Houston's Third Ward and University of Houston area??? (Dallas, Waco: crime rate, houses)

Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 PM

Crime near campus concerns University of Houston

Jun 11, 2009 1:06 PM
From The Houston Chronicle: After several robberies and the fatal shooting of a homeless man [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]on [COLOR=blue! important]campus[/color][/color][/color] this spring, the University of Houston is tackling both the reality of crime and the perception of danger in the surrounding neighborhood. The school has appointed a task force to help improve campus [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]security[/color][/color].

Old 09-12-2010, 10:36 PM

32 posts, read 77,311 times
forget about ApartmentRatings.com. I've lived in some apartments that I really, really loved, and after moving out, I looked on ApartmentRatings.com and was very surprised to find such bad reviews from other people. I was glad I didn't see that before moving in, otherwise I may have never given them a chance, and I was very happy I did. My best advice would be to actually go in person to see and visit apartments. You can be the judge, and by seeing with your own eyes the area, apartment, and speaking with the people in the leasing office, you'll get a vibe for what places to avoid.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the replies !

I selected a few apartments, which are like 6-9 miles away from UH, like

Indigo Falls Apartments
Broadway Square Apartments
Pavilion Place
Red Pines
..etc..

The time shown in Google Maps for traveling from those apartments to UH is like 10 mins. Is that correct estimate ?

Unfortunately these apartments have terrible ratings, which claims how many murders etc have taken place here.
The rent is cheap & the area looks decent from the search I did on the net.
Since I'm a non-resident it's not possible to visit these places in person until & unless I come to UH when my semester starts.

My question is which would be a decent neighborhood to stay(less crime,etc) ? How far can it be ? And what about the rent per month ?

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:54 PM

983 posts, read 4,443,006 times
The best thing to do is to use an apartment locator service. They do not charge you and they know the areas very well. All they ask is that you put them down as the referral so they can get paid. I prefer promove and have used them a couple times. Not sure if they are in Houston but there are others.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
The best thing to do is to use an apartment locator service. They do not charge you and they know the areas very well. All they ask is that you put them down as the referral so they can get paid. I prefer promove and have used them a couple times. Not sure if they are in Houston but there are others.
I have tried almost all the apartment locators in Houston, this is the place from where I got so many apartment suggestions, but apartmentratings.com simply ruins it.That's the reason I posted this thread to get direct unbiased reviews from the locals.

Anyways...as I can't completely ignore the terrible ratings, it would be great if some1 could suggest me some apartments based on my criteria above

Thanks.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 AM

No Replies ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston