Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 12:42 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by am350z View Post
Thanks to anyone who offers their opinion. I know it is a personal choice but would love to here opinions on where to live. We are currently renting in Sugar Land (Telfair) but will be buying in the next 6 months. Our dilemma is I work in Clear lake, Medical Center, and Katy.
How often do you need to commute to Clear Lake? The commute from west Memorial to Clear Lake is really far. And from there to the Med Center isn't so convenient because there's no straight-shot route to get you there (like Hwy 59 or Hwy 90 from Sugar Land.) I could see why you'd be considering West U, it's more centrally located among the three work locations you mention, and you'd have reverse commutes. Have you looked into Bellaire as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 01:09 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
We will look into west memorial. Only problem with 500k fixers is we don't have a ton of cash for remodeling and I am sure home improvement loans are hard to get these days withOut any equity.

You said 500-800k was your price range, so I thought that meant you were liquid to remodel.

Anywho, it's not that hard. Get the mortgage, buy the house, then pull an equity loan.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:45 PM

13 posts, read 31,668 times
Big salary, small savings!

Commute pretty equal amount between clear lake and katy, med ctr less often! Makes it tough to figure out where to live.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:58 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,886 times
Big salary, small savings? -Uh oh...

If you have to go to clearlake during rush hours, I'm with AK123. I would not want to go from west memorial. Id stay clear of 610W during rush hour, it brings out road rage in me! If you decide to live in that west memorial area, I'd stay near bltway 8 so u can use that route. (I'm pretty sure deep memorial/tanglewood is out of your budget for newer construction with large yard. West memorial is nice, great place to live, highly reccomend it esp with the new city centr development; but with your commute, I would not want to live there. That's just me though)

Old 10-18-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Big salary, small savings!
Oh then disregaurd my equity loan advice.

um...have you even been pre-approved for that price range? Even people with excellent credit,high salary, and 20-30% down are having a rough time getting mortgages for the upper-middle price range.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
How often do you need to commute to Clear Lake? The commute from west Memorial to Clear Lake is really far. And from there to the Med Center isn't so convenient because there's no straight-shot route to get you there (like Hwy 59 or Hwy 90 from Sugar Land.) I could see why you'd be considering West U, it's more centrally located among the three work locations you mention, and you'd have reverse commutes. Have you looked into Bellaire as well?

Bellaire is a great location except, you landlocked by traffic most of the day. It's impossible to get to in the evening and out in the morning. At least 10 moves.

West U would probably be the best location, just have to forgo the yard and put up with the congestion.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 PM

Houstonfan, why uh-oh? I am a fairly young, highly educated professional, just starting my career. No need for uh-oh!! Not a spend thrift.

amused, preapproved to close to 7 figures. No down, no pmi. Credit score is 815 though.

Back to locale since everyone wants to assume the worst about my finances and ability to get a loan! I also love the comment I received that I would "You might fit in better ina Master Planned community. West U and Memorial have major bank." I can afford it so back off and most of my colleagues and friends live in west u.

So if west memorial is to far commute to clear lake I am back to west u. Bellaire is okay for me inside loop, but outside I just cant get over the huge mansions next door to run down houses. Guess I am back to west u or suburbs/sugar land again.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:46 PM

You're going to find new next to old all over the areas close to and inside the loop, and not just residental either. If that's something you don't like, you may want to consider newer parts of the Metro. But I think Sugarland to Clear Lake might be a major strain.

What about Pearland? At least it would be a reverse commute out to Katy, close to TMC, your friends in West University, and it's mostly new.Glad you are pre-approved with 0 down, you are very lucky.

About Western Memorial, it just depends how often you have to go to Clear Lake. I think it's about 40 minutes. But if you don't like new mansions and old houses next to each other, that's kind of the vibe of the place.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:59 PM

Sugar land to clear lake isn't bad. About 45 minutes via sam houston, with little tollway traffic. Only traffic is 59 getting to tollway. Commute to clear lake between 1-3 times per week on average. What is everyones opinion on spending this kind of money in the burbs like sugar land. Maybe okay in Sweetwater area?

Pearland definitely is the most central. The upscale communities there though I haven't heard good things about. Bad smell from dump and bad traffic on 288.

Also idont mind old next to new but some of bellaire has ryn down next to new where in west u it seems even the older ranches have been updated.

Last edited by am350z; 10-18-2010 at 04:13 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 04:35 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
Quote:
Sugar land to clear lake isn't bad. About 45 minutes via sam houston, with little tollway traffic. Only traffic is 59 getting to tollway. Commute to clear lake between 1-3 times per week on average. What is everyones opinion on spending this kind of money in the burbs like sugar land. Maybe okay in Sweetwater area?

Pearland definitely is the most central. The upscale communities there though I haven't heard good things about. Bad smell from dump and bad traffic on 288.

Also idont mind old next to new but some of bellaire has ryn down next to new where in west u it seems even the older ranches have been updated.
I don't agree at all with that evaluation of Bellaire. Bellaire is probably 80% gentrified with fewer and fewer of the old working class housing stock. Nowhere is it ryn(sic) down. Have you even visited Bellaire in the last 25 years?! It's one of the more sparkling neighborhoods/small cities in the Houston area.

Those 20% of the Bellaire housing stock in old bungalos is actually a plus. West U. is completely gentrified and has smaller potential for rapid price appreciation compared to Bellaire which will experience more of a bump as it completes its gentrification. ... or at least it will when this recession is over!

Pearland is only affected by that dump on the few blocks adjacent the dump. Most of the upscale areas are fine. However, those outer suburban-type towns just don't appreciate like "inside-the-loop", at least over the last 50 years or so. You kind of have to decide on "more for the money" or "make more money". I'd go for Bellaire vs West U. and Pearland. More upside, slightly bigger yards than West U., more upside by far than Pearland, just less house for the money but if you don't have a passle of kids I'd go for quality than quantity. You'll impress your new co-workers more too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston