Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:05 PM

913 posts, read 4,343,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allappliance View Post
thanks for the great illustration and insight about solar screening. that is a great solution to minimize energy bills and health issues as well.

Actually, I have changed my mind since then. I think Solar Screens are MORE COST EFFICIENT than solar/ tinted film. I can say it based on my experience. Screens are cheaper and protect from heating better than the film, since they also have an air cushion.

If I did it again, I would go just with the screens. Film cost was around $1200 for a house. The screen cost was around $700 for the same (I can check receipts)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,559 times
Hands down solar screens are a better product (SunTex). I've paid alot of money on tint and it did not do the job. We place solar screens with grids and my bill during the summer went down $80.00. ($300 to 220 average) Not only did my bill go down it cover old windows making them look new. I used a company called TX Energy Savers. Good Luck All

Old 12-10-2014, 07:43 AM

40 posts, read 66,396 times
I am just picking up on this post as I just moved to Spring Area and am leasing a house. It may have been mentioned in the pages upon pages of post, but I will just ask and maybe someone who is familiar with the post can re-post it.

I like the look of the Tint, but I dont know how effective it is. My concern and what I have notice is that most of these houses do not have screens. I am interested in the screens so I can open my windows and not worry about bugs and lizards crawling in the house. What do you all do in that case, opt for screens over tint?

Do any of you do a combination of both, tint in the front of the house and screens in the rear?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:25 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,994,493 times
Are you planning to buy a home, If you are leasing, the owner would have to do that, if they wanted it.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:53 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layitdown33 View Post
I am just picking up on this post as I just moved to Spring Area and am leasing a house. It may have been mentioned in the pages upon pages of post, but I will just ask and maybe someone who is familiar with the post can re-post it.

I like the look of the Tint, but I dont know how effective it is. My concern and what I have notice is that most of these houses do not have screens. I am interested in the screens so I can open my windows and not worry about bugs and lizards crawling in the house. What do you all do in that case, opt for screens over tint?

Do any of you do a combination of both, tint in the front of the house and screens in the rear?

Thanks in advance.
Most homes have insect screens on the part of the window that opens. I suspect that your house had them, but since a prior renter probably damaged them, the landlord may have removed them all since very few people in Houston ever open their windows and need the screens.

The solar screens cover the whole window, not just the part that opens, and are usually screwed into the window frame while the insect screens fit in the window recess of the part that opens. They are two different things.

If you wanted insect screens, ask your landlord about it. If they don't have them stored somewhere, you can make your own with parts from Home Depot if you are handy. It is not too hard to do.

As for solar screens, most people get them on the windows that face the sun, not all windows unless they want them just for the appearance.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Most homes have insect screens on the part of the window that opens. I suspect that your house had them, but since a prior renter probably damaged them, the landlord may have removed them all since very few people in Houston ever open their windows and need the screens.

The solar screens cover the whole window, not just the part that opens, and are usually screwed into the window frame while the insect screens fit in the window recess of the part that opens. They are two different things.

If you wanted insect screens, ask your landlord about it. If they don't have them stored somewhere, you can make your own with parts from Home Depot if you are handy. It is not too hard to do.

As for solar screens, most people get them on the windows that face the sun, not all windows unless they want them just for the appearance.
Thanks for the info. I'm from the Mid-West. Most homes have insect screens on the houses. Some of the older homes and buildings don't.

I appreciate the idea of creating my own insect screens, (will youtube this). I have noticed that many of the homes here don't have the insect screens. I figured people don't get them because it may distract from the appearance of the window features. That would be my concern. I do plan to buy a home in the near future, so finding out about this is helpful. I would want some natural fresh air to flow through the house. I don't want to run the A/C all the time. Its kind of strange running it in October when it is cool enough to allow the outside air in.

If appearance becomes a concern, I would just get the insect screens on the windows towards the rear of the house. IMO - the solar screens; while they are the least expensive option, they seem to draw more attention to them opposed to the whole house itself. I think they are more noticeable on lighter colored houses.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:26 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layitdown33 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm from the Mid-West. Most homes have insect screens on the houses. Some of the older homes and buildings don't.

I appreciate the idea of creating my own insect screens, (will youtube this). I have noticed that many of the homes here don't have the insect screens. I figured people don't get them because it may distract from the appearance of the window features. That would be my concern. I do plan to buy a home in the near future, so finding out about this is helpful. I would want some natural fresh air to flow through the house. I don't want to run the A/C all the time. Its kind of strange running it in October when it is cool enough to allow the outside air in.

If appearance becomes a concern, I would just get the insect screens on the windows towards the rear of the house. IMO - the solar screens; while they are the least expensive option, they seem to draw more attention to them opposed to the whole house itself. I think they are more noticeable on lighter colored houses.
You don't always have the AC on for the temperature. It's for the humidity. Which is why people generally don't open their windows here.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You don't always have the AC on for the temperature. It's for the humidity. Which is why people generally don't open their windows here.
Got cha, was more or less referencing the cooler nights in late Sept. & Oct. to where its not humid and its a nice breeze.

I surly appreciate your response.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:37 PM

392 posts, read 754,623 times
I'm looking for recommendations for solar screens installation. Want to call different places to get estimates. Thank you guys.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,520 times
Default Warning about tint.

I know this is an old post but just wanted to advise everyone of one thing. A lot of window manufactures are only fabricating insulated glass now for their windows (dual pane glass with gap between them). Most of these same manufacturers (like the one I work for) state that any tint (inside or out) voids the warranty on the glass. Please check your warranties before considering tint for your windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston