Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 14,657 times

Advertisements

We are possibly moving to Houston and are trying to decide the best place to live. I grew up there, so I do sort of know where things are, but I honestly know nothing about Friendswood or Clear Lake and it's been almost 20 years. My husband will be working near the Johnson Space Center and I know that Clear Lake and Friendswood are much closer, but he's used to a 45 minute commute, so that's why we'd also consider parts of Sugar Land--I do know what that area looks and feels like (nothing about the schools though). We have children, so schools are important and we can spend up to 350K on a house. I'd love some input; what those communities are like, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 12:58 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,994,493 times
Clear Lake and Friendswood are GREAT areas in which to live and the schools are great as well. I can imagine anyone wanting to take a 45+ minute commute to work when the area they are working in is also a great place to live. Unless you just have a specific reason to like Sugarland over the other two, I would say hands down that you need to concentrate your home search near his employer.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:14 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
For 350k I'd look in Bay Forest, Pine Brook, or Brookwood. 10 minute commute to JSC.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:47 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,317 times
The schools are great. I work there, and know people who commute from Sugar land to Clear Lake. Several people. I'm told it's a 45 min commute IF you catch the right window of time. I would take a 10 min commute over that any time.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
For 350k I'd look in Bay Forest, Pine Brook, or Brookwood. 10 minute commute to JSC.
right , i also think he said maybe fit you..

Old 10-18-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
The schools are great. I work there, and know people who commute from Sugar land to Clear Lake. Several people. I'm told it's a 45 min commute IF you catch the right window of time. I would take a 10 min commute over that any time.
When you said that the schools are great, where are you referring to? Thanks so much for your help!

Old 10-18-2010, 07:53 AM

543 posts, read 1,386,854 times
I have been to Sugarland twice and I'm actually in Clear Lake/Friendswood now to check out the area. My potential employment is also near by SJC. My #1 priority is also school. I actually saw couple houses yesterday at Brookwood, Pine Brook (zip 77059). The Brookwood and Pine Brook residential area looks really nice. The houses are older but in great shape and are so big. Pricing is around ~280K-350K in these two areas.
The Clear Creek school district is expemplary. I don't really know what that means compare to where I'm from but it's the top ranking here in Texas so you can't get any better than that. The Brookwood and Pine Brook communities are zoned to the best schools within Clear Creek district (Brookwood elementary, Space Center Intermediate and Clear Lake High School). The houses was in 80's and 90's but looks in exceelent shape. The houses are so big (~2700-3000sqt) which made me wondering why Texans need such a big house. I feel like getting lost in the house.

Like I said, 77059 is a good zip code. However, it is a bit far from the free way. It takes about 15 min from there to Highway 45. I'm going to check out zipcode 77062, 77058 and League City today. I also drove by Webster area where the Baybrook mall and the residential area that is close to I45 and there's a lot of shopping choices. It doesn't look as nice as 77059. If you can afford it and don't mind the commute, definitely go with 77059.

As far as the overally feel of the area, I like Sugar Land better. Sugar Land seems greener, cleaner, more organized and more upscale (just my feeling and perception, don't know the truth to it). If it's not for the commute, I would definitely go with Sugar Land.

I'm going to check out close by zip code 77062, 77058 and League City today, schol, daycare and library today. I saw Clear Lake park yesterday and it seems really nice. I plan to stop by today. I'm not a fan of Armand Bayou Nature Center nor SJC.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:32 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,317 times
Sugar land had a lot of explosive growth in the 90's, hence it will look newer. Clear Lake was established for the JSC community around the 60's I believe. 77059 is a very short drive to JSC, at least a short drive by Texans standards

Here's a description of Texas school rankings:
Texas Education Agency accountability ratings system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
When you said that the schools are great, where are you referring to? Thanks so much for your help!
I meant the schools in Clear Lake. Nearby Friendswood is a smaller community with great schools, too. The average income for Friendswood is pretty high, too.

Clear Creek ISD (which is the school district in Clear Lake) garnered an exemplary ranking.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM

115 posts, read 396,580 times
I would move to Clear Lake. There are many nice and established areas there. Don't forget to check out subdivisions along South Shore & Marina Bay. Living close to your workplace is always a big plus since you are only few minutes from your house/family. Another plus would be that you are about 30 minutes from both downtown and Galveston so there will be more options for entertainment.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
I have been to Sugarland twice and I'm actually in Clear Lake/Friendswood now to check out the area. My potential employment is also near by SJC. My #1 priority is also school. I actually saw couple houses yesterday at Brookwood, Pine Brook (zip 77059). The Brookwood and Pine Brook residential area looks really nice. The houses are older but in great shape and are so big. Pricing is around ~280K-350K in these two areas.
The Clear Creek school district is expemplary. I don't really know what that means compare to where I'm from but it's the top ranking here in Texas so you can't get any better than that. The Brookwood and Pine Brook communities are zoned to the best schools within Clear Creek district (Brookwood elementary, Space Center Intermediate and Clear Lake High School). The houses was in 80's and 90's but looks in exceelent shape. The houses are so big (~2700-3000sqt) which made me wondering why Texans need such a big house. I feel like getting lost in the house.

Like I said, 77059 is a good zip code. However, it is a bit far from the free way. It takes about 15 min from there to Highway 45. I'm going to check out zipcode 77062, 77058 and League City today. I also drove by Webster area where the Baybrook mall and the residential area that is close to I45 and there's a lot of shopping choices. It doesn't look as nice as 77059. If you can afford it and don't mind the commute, definitely go with 77059.

As far as the overally feel of the area, I like Sugar Land better. Sugar Land seems greener, cleaner, more organized and more upscale (just my feeling and perception, don't know the truth to it). If it's not for the commute, I would definitely go with Sugar Land.

I'm going to check out close by zip code 77062, 77058 and League City today, schol, daycare and library today. I saw Clear Lake park yesterday and it seems really nice. I plan to stop by today. I'm not a fan of Armand Bayou Nature Center nor SJC.
Thank you so much for all of your input. I do love the Sugar Land area as well and that's why my husband might be willing to commute. Plus my parents live closer to that area than to Clear Lake. But, I'm sure my husband would like the 15-20 minute drive to work that Clear Lake and Friendswood would afford. I am all about trees and need to live somewhere (especially in Houston) where there are mature trees. I didn't really "see" trees in the listings for Friendswood. I also do not like the look of the area near the JSC, but we didn't go looking for houses, we just went to the Space Center for the day. Not sure if it looks better if you get out of the main area. I'd love your opinion on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston