Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 11:18 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times

Advertisements

...was literally as big as Los Angeles. Would they be identical in terms of lifestyle? Would they have the same problems?

...wasn't in Texas. Would it still be the economic powerhouse that it is today?

....was developed amongst lush green hills. Would it still be infamous for ugliness and sprawl?

...was as dense as New York City. Would it still be viewed as city with low density.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 12:48 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
What if Houston was in Greenland? Would it still be 87 degrees in the middle of October?

Old 10-22-2010, 12:49 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
...was literally as big as Los Angeles. Would they be identical in terms of lifestyle? Would they have the same problems?:
Yes, any city of that size in the Sunbelt would have the same problems. Traffic, congestion, smog, and air pollution comes from the layout of these cities. It cant be helped unless we invest greatly in mass transit, which we are. So there is a possibility that Houston might not be that way. But no one ever knows. Its way to far out of the way.
Quote:
...wasn't in Texas. Would it still be the economic powerhouse that it is today?
No it wouldn't be a powerhouse (in my opinion) a lot of the reason Houston flourishes economically is because of the business regulations that Texas carries out. Texas is Houston's map. Without it, Houston would be lost.
Quote:
....was developed amongst lush green hills. Would it still be infamous for ugliness and sprawl?
Okay what the eff, I am so sick and tired of people coming out with these "its ugly" nonsense. Yes there are ugly parts, its a freaking 579 square mile city, its bound to be more visible than cities smaller than it. But Houston has a lot of pretty parts also. And for the record the Metro Area has rolling hills in the Northwest side of it. The Houston Metropolitan Area has the most diverse landscape of any in Texas. That is a fact, the Houston area can utilize some of the best natural resources. Houston is beautifying even its plazas and shopping areas. Its come a long way, and people need to back off and give it the credit it deserves (in my opinion).
Quote:
...was as dense as New York City. Would it still be viewed as city with low density.
Well you answered this question yourself. Houston is a city within a city, the inner loop is the densest area in the sunbelt outside of Los Angeles & Miami. And to add to that point with a decade of infill of nearly 64,000 people inside inner loop, it is becoming more denser by the day. I have also personally calculated Houston's population in the same city boundaries as Dallas city limits, it has 1.57 Million people. Go figure it is the larger city between the two but to be fair its because Fort Worth steals a lot of attention from Dallas. It is what it is. I should make my "Houston placed in comparative boundaries as Dallas thread". Because I've seen others here say Houston would be the same population as Dallas given the same land area from 579 square miles to Dallas's land area, and that cannot be further from an illogical assumption. I have done the math, I have the maps, I have the links, I will make the thread this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: