Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 08:54 AM

9 posts, read 19,554 times

Advertisements

I've just found out that someone applied credit cards under my name without my permission and knowledge. The credit cards now have a big oustanding balance but the credit card companies already closed the cards since it is way over due.

This is new to me and I don't know what to do. Does anyone know a really good lawyer in the Houston area that can help me? Any good lawyers with strong experience with Identity Theft, Credit Card Fraud, and dealing with Credit Card Companies and Credit Reporting Bureau? My credit score is now destroyed because of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 09:04 AM

381 posts, read 1,234,114 times
You have to make a police report, make an affadavit, submit to credit card companies. You will be assigned a case number, which is very important.

A lot of times, you will also have to submit an affadavit to each store to jerk charged at.

Sorry this happened, but the credit card companies have seen this alot before, and they probably have a fraud department.

In regards to your credit score, these credit companies need to be given affadavits and a copy of the police report as well. They will then direct you how to handle.

This sounds like alot of work, but you have to do it. Keep a file with all records of who you talk to and fax confirmation sheets.

I know this, because I have been there, but due to checks. When we moved 3 years ago, we ordered new checks ( new adress) - and they were stolen out of the mail.

BEST OF LUCK!

Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Thanks BrownyBaby,
Do I need to get a lawyer to help me out or just do everything myself?

I called the credit card companies already and learned that the credit cards are registered to an address in Los Angeles. Can I just go to my local police station in Houston to file report or do I need to go to police station in LA to file report?

Old 10-22-2010, 09:28 AM

381 posts, read 1,234,114 times
Call the hosuton police, non emergency line, they will connect you to fraud. Get a case number. Tell them all the infromation, and they will prompt you.

I would also call the credit card hey were using's fraud departments. They will tell you what necessary steps need to be taken to get your name cleared.

Explain to the cops and fraud department you have the address in California, and they maysend investigator.

Just be as calm and clear headed as you can be. This happens often now (unfortunatly) and there will be alot of calls to make to get things settled.

Oh- also -call the big 3 credit companies (experian, eqifax and trans union) let them know as well.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:55 AM

Hi brownybaby,
Is it better that I get a lawyer who knows all the necessary steps that I need to do and to assist me?

Old 10-22-2010, 12:57 PM

377 posts, read 1,346,067 times
Sorry to hear that. But, I can direct you to a good forum..CreditBoards.com
Go there and read thru the threads...You may not get an answer if you post a new topic there as similar issue is discussed a million times there....
Good luck.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:42 PM

295 posts, read 1,169,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asus100 View Post
Hi brownybaby,
Is it better that I get a lawyer who knows all the necessary steps that I need to do and to assist me?

NO you dont need to hire a lawyer.. as scary as it maybe.. it can be fixed without a lawyer.. actually in my case it was fixed even without a police report..

mine was actually fixed i think if i remember right within 2 months..

just check your credit report which ones are fraud.. then call the credit card/bank..
they will connect you to their fraud department and will also direct you to the credit bureau..

also the credit bureau will help you "clean up" your credit score..
when it happened to me a guy from transunion was helping me remove all the fraud in my report.. he sent me some paper works to fill up.. he will also put your credit in a 7 year fraud alert.. which is a good thing..

also if transunion decide that it's fraud.. they will inform the other 2 bureaus.. just check your credit report from these 3 bureaus to be sure..

those who did the fraud was caught in my case.. they did it to others also.. and i get updates from time to time from the govt who handle about the case..

Old 10-23-2010, 06:49 PM

295 posts, read 1,169,174 times
just a precaution from now on, subscribe to at least 1 credit report.. it will save you headache later..

Old 10-24-2010, 05:59 AM

Thanks for all your advise. I have a lot of work ahead to fix this problem.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM

240 posts, read 808,067 times
If you file a police report then you can request that the three large credit agencies put a freeze on your name and information so this will not happen again. It is free if you are an identity theft victim. I went ahead and put a freeze on my name with all three agencies (Experian, Trans-Union, and Equifax). It cost me $10.00 per agency but I didn't have a problem with it. I did it because I have been an identity theft victim in the past. The freeze is supposed to make it impossible for others to apply for credit using my name and information. You can also file a report to have your identity theft discrepancy removed. This is just fyi but you can lift the freeze if you need to apply for a loan, etc. I rarely apply for a loan so that is why I went ahead and put the freeze on my information. Nothing irks me more than the scum trying to steal my identity! Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: