Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:08 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,115 times

Advertisements

Hi -- We're looking at a retirement move to Spring TX (vs. Rio Rancho NM)... My cousin tells me not to lease a house on the East side of I-45 in Spring. Since I don't live conveniently to that area, does anyone know anything derogatory about that area? (i.e. why we shouldn't lease a house in the Spring area east of I-45).

She also tells me that she has had problems with snakes (as well as rattlesnakes) in her neighborhood in Spring (west of I-45). She said that her dog was bitten by a rattlesnake in her back yard. Can anyone share their experiences regarding problems with snakes in Spring (and The Woodlands)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 07:40 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,607 times
It's Southeast Texas, there are snakes... Not too many rattle snakes, rather we see many non venomous snakes as well as copperhead's & water moccasin's.

As far as being East of 45 in Spring; there are many entry level homes/neighborhoods in that area. Take it for what it is and come to your own conclusion. I would stay in NM; lower property taxes, no humidity, fewer mosquitoes and fire ants.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 PM

799 posts, read 3,693,389 times
Snakes are a Texas thing, nothing to worry about..you will rarely see one although they are there.
As far as leasing on the east side, not sure what the problem is unless you have kids.The schools on the west side are better but there are nice lower end neighborhoods on the east side. I recently leased one out to my sons Air Force Sargeant. She's been there a year and is happy..I understand buying because of resale value, but not leasing. The Woodlands is very nice but you will pay more to lease out there..and there is alot more chance to see snakes since it is wooded everywhere! Dogs are commonly bitten by snakes here but not people..Snakes are a way over-rated fear..and I don't like them..I live in the country...lad,woods,all..and have only seen 2 snakes in 2 years..garden variety, however all my dogs have had snake bites..guess they search for them or something!
Anyway, I hope that helps..there are some nice lease homes in Klein(west of 45 in Spring) if that makes you feel better

Old 10-26-2010, 08:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Yes snakes are an overrated fear. Rattle snakes are really rare in this part of the state. Venomous snakes in these parts fear people. As a kid I lived and played in an area near a bayou and rarely saw cottonmouths and even more rare were copperheads. You just learn that they don't want to play like lizards and turtles do Snakes are more likely to sense you coming and head the other direction. Just don't go stick your hand inside a rotten log or a big pile of rotten leaves.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,134 times
For about the same price, stay on the West side of I-45. Its just a nicer area overall.

77379 on www.har.com

Old 10-27-2010, 04:05 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Spring in general is kind of haphazard with mixed neighborhoods. Some neighborhoods like Benders Landing are East of I-45 and have million dollar houses so it really just depends.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAnjel View Post
and there is alot more chance to see snakes since it is wooded everywhere! Dogs are commonly bitten by snakes here but not people..Snakes are a way over-rated fear..and I don't like them..I live in the country...lad,woods,all..and have only seen 2 snakes in 2 years..garden variety, however all my dogs have had snake bites..guess they search for them or something!
Is that a pretty serious thing when your pets are bitten by poisonous snakes? This is kind of shocking. I'm 61 and I've lived all over the U.S. (orig from TX) and I've never lived in a housing area that had a poisonous snake problem. Do people know in the Woodlands that there are snakes there? Wow.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:16 PM

799 posts, read 3,693,389 times
its not as serious as you would believe,.most of the time Benadryl takes care of it..this was learned after my husband took his dog to vet after being bitten by a copperhead..thats what the vet gave him and he recovered in days and 500.00 later..since then several dogs have been bitten and they always recover..now I do know my friends dog was bitten(a pit bull) and died that day,.so it depends on dog and where he is bitten..it appears smaller dogs, such as daschunds take it better..not sure why? They all have a better immune system then us...in short, I would say, most dogs survive without a trip to the vet..I don't take mine for bites anymore but can always tell when they have been bitten..

Old 10-28-2010, 09:33 AM

345 posts, read 1,078,081 times
I live in Spring just east of 45. I moved here from the Chicago area and didn't get to do much investigating. Overall, a decent place to live. I would, however, suggest that you look west of 45. By looking just a few miles west you'll get a nicer area in a better school district (IMHO). You may pay just a tad more but all in all I think you'll be happier.

So funny about the snakes. I was just like you... terrified of the whole snake issue. I moved down here December of last year and by Spring I hadn't seen one. I've got 0.5 acre and I love to garden, so there are lots of hiding places for those little guys.

One day the boys and I were going antiquing with my neighbour and I ran in the back to door to retrieve something I had forgotten. Coiled up on the patio taking a coffee break was Mr. Snake himself. I looked at him and he looked at me... I screamed and I think he did too... I got the hell out of there and he did too, lol! I'm not sure who was scared more, him or me! I purchased some Snake Away and put it down and I would tell you the outcome of that but I don't want to jinx myself

If you really want to come down here, I wouldn't let the snakes keep you away.

So far as the area goes, find yourself a great agent. My agent worked sooooo hard for me that I negotiated a bonus for her when the time came to close the deal. You can PM me for her name or check out Cheryjohns or Skyeanjel. They always give great advice and I am sure would work hard for you.

Welcome to Texas, best wishes, and get some Snake Away!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:13 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,134 times
All the snakes live East of I-45. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston