Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:31 PM

571 posts, read 1,282,096 times

Advertisements

Iron Steel City wants to be the new Energy Capital - EnergyWatch

Anybody out there in the energy industry? (HA! In Houston, that's like mooing at a farm and being surprised when a cow turns around).

What are your opinions on this? Could Houston undermine Pittsburgh's businessmen and somehow gain access the Shale area without losing companies to the north?

I just thought it'd be an interesting discussion. I think Houston will ALWAYS be the energy capital of the world (at least the U.S). That said, I think a lot of energy companies based in Houston will be taking advantage of this. To get them to move to Pittsburgh is a bit of a stretch, especially given how friendly Houston is to business...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 03:12 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Marcellus shale is hot but there are shales all over the country, and E&P isn't going to uproot to PA just over that. I am sure they might get some satellite offices.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:45 PM

225 posts, read 597,458 times
Pittsburgh wants to step to this?

Let 'em try.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 PM

17 posts, read 48,603 times
Chevron Gas pays big bucks (billions) to have a piece of the Shale. This story was in today's paper.
Chevron buys into shale gas

I am actually well versed in the Marcellus Shale industry here in Pittsburgh. I do not work in the business, but have reported on it for other publications. This particular shale deposit is the 2nd largest in the world--with the biggest portion in PA. There are already 52 large companies (many with a worldwide presence) that have offices here in Southpointe PA (Canonsburg.) There are companies located locally elsewhere as well. Natural gas drilling is growing so fast that employers can not keep up with the demand. People from Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, etc are moving here for the jobs.

Yes, Pittsburgh is officially on the energy map.

Last edited by happy2Baim; 11-10-2010 at 08:26 PM..

Old 11-10-2010, 09:54 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Eh. Not that big of a deal and I think Houston showing effort in all things energy will help Houston keep that title. But it's great to see Pittsburgh trying to rebound. The potential is there.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Baim View Post
Chevron Gas pays big bucks (billions) to have a piece of the Shale. This story was in today's paper.
Chevron buys into shale gas

I am actually well versed in the Marcellus Shale industry here in Pittsburgh. I do not work in the business, but have reported on it for other publications. This particular shale deposit is the 2nd largest in the world--with the biggest portion in PA. There are already 52 large companies (many with a worldwide presence) that have offices here in Southpointe PA (Canonsburg.) There are companies located locally elsewhere as well. Natural gas drilling is growing so fast that employers can not keep up with the demand. People from Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, etc are moving here for the jobs.

Yes, Pittsburgh is officially on the energy map.
But really though, Pittsburgh is NOT going to overtake Houston as the energy capital in America. Pittsburgh's energy industry pales in comparison, and last time I checked, the Houston area is adding a lot more jobs than Pittsburgh, so I don't know how many people are moving from here to Pittsburgh. Having said that, I like the rebound Pittsburgh has had. Unlike its sister cities like Detroit and Cleveland, Pittsburgh is on the way up.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:07 PM

17 posts, read 48,603 times
Yeah, I am not here to say it will take over Houston...but I am saying it is a player now. There is no doubt about that!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:38 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Baim View Post
Yeah, I am not here to say it will take over Houston...but I am saying it is a player now. There is no doubt about that!
And I can agree with that. I'd put it on the scale of a Tulsa or Denver for now.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:52 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times
It's because the McClintock well in not so far away Titusville still produces 1 barrel of oil a day! That definitely gives us "leader" status. lol!

Even though the shale gas reserves are huge, it's only one component of the energy industry in Pittsburgh.
There is Westinghouse the world's leading exporter of nuclear energy.Westinghouse certainly is not a new company and has been in the 'Burgh since the mid 1800's when George Westinghouse worked with Nikola Tesla on alternating current electricity.
There are also renewable energy companies like Plextronics who has developed the most efficient solar energy conversion technology to date thus increasing the affordability of solar energy panel systems.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 PM

108 posts, read 233,107 times
All of the experienced oil and gas personnel is in Houston. Houston, OKC and Denver to a lesser extent is where most of the nation's experience in domestic production is situatetd. From any of those cities you can work an asset located anywhere in the U.S. Of course, there will need to be professionals working in the field offices but they are largely being recruited from Houston. A good oil and gas person from Houston can go to PA and make $500 a day with all expenses paid for and one week of the month to go back with airfare paid for. They are willing to pay that because PA doesn't have the expertise in the state so it must be brought in from outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: