Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:28 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times

Advertisements

I can see why Telfair residents are upset with FBISD:

Homeowners upset Fort Bend ISD schools they had been led to believe would be built aren't coming | abc13.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:15 PM

99 posts, read 367,506 times
My wife is at the FBISD town hall tonight and says that it's overflowing and that there are news trucks and reporters on hand. This is becoming a big story.

Although I still think that FBISD is at fault if they actually did make a commitment or set aside the funds, my neighbors are selling me on the notion that Newland and the builders bear a lot of blame for misrepresenting the situation as part of their sales pitch.

I know that when we first started looking around here, ALL of the builders claimed that the schools were done deals and one saleslady even claimed that they had already picked out a name for the high school. (Riiiiiight.) So, I am beginning to be somewhat sympathetic to the anti-Newland argument now, too.

My guess is that it gets worked out in the end. Newland can't afford for the uncertainty to influence future sales and FBISD truly does need the new schools in this area.

Check out this map:

http://www.fortbend.k12.tx.us/about/...20Capacity.pdf

As someone on another website pointed out, Telfair sits right at the epicenter of high school crowding in the district and a new high school here would alleviate crowding at Kempner and Austin and relieve some of the pressure on Travis, too.

They could easily and practically rezone all of New Territory, Telfair, and the Lakes into the new high school.

FWIW, Elementary school capacity is a bit more complicated:

http://www.fortbend.k12.tx.us/about/...20Capacity.pdf

Old 11-04-2010, 08:21 PM

My husband is at the town hall meeting, too. I stayed home with our children.

Cottonmather0, I hope they do build a new high school and zone Telfair, New Territory and the Lakes to it - we have a lot of friends in Telfair and that would be a nice solution. I'd much rather drive to a high school near Telfair than one in the opposite direction out in Richmond.

If they don't get this sorted out in a good way, I may have to move. I'm not wild about the Middle School #14 / Travis combo. If I wanted to spend a bunch of time in Richmond, I would have moved to Richmond.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:14 AM

239 posts, read 638,847 times
Situations like this are exactly why I only buy homes in established neighborhoods. I want to know exactly what is there, not what some developer/salesperson "promises" me will be there. Even promises in writing can be broken in cases of things like the developer's bankruptcy, etc.

Promised parks too often have away of instead becoming strip centers. Planned "nature preserves" have a way of being sold off to some big box store chain. The walking trials you were promised somehow become a 4 lane road. The fire station planned for the community too often ends up a gas station.

If the developer was serious about the quality of life they sold you, they would donate the land necessary to ensure the fulfillment of their promises. If they don't do that or the facility isn't built before you sign, consider yourself effectively baited and caught. You can't blame a district for something a developer promised you.

Last edited by GettaClue; 11-05-2010 at 12:26 AM..

Old 11-05-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettaClue View Post
You can't blame a district for something a developer promised you.
This is quite true.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:17 AM

My wife's report from the town hall was that the FBISD officials were rather adamant that district was under no obligation to do anything and that the whole situation was "buyer beware" and the fault of Newland.

That said, my wife also reported that every single one of the officials that she spoke to privately indicated to her that it was likely going to get worked out, likely to the residents' satisfaction, and that this is all part of a negotiating song and dance with Newland.

The fact is, the district is overcapacity and growing they need to relieve the overcrowding in this area. They're going to have to build even more schools and it doesn't make much sense not to build the schools here, or at least not to put a plan into motion to resolve the situation in the next few years.

One interesting thing that was said to my wife last night - and that was mentioned in reports on Channel 2 last night and Channel 13 this morning - was that the high school site is too close to the airport. I had never heard that publicly before as a reason for them not buying the land, although I have personally wondered about the high school site being right under (or next to) the approach path.

On the other hand, Cornerstone Elementary is also right under the approach path further south and there seem to be no problems there.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonmather0 View Post

One interesting thing that was said to my wife last night - and that was mentioned in reports on Channel 2 last night and Channel 13 this morning - was that the high school site is too close to the airport. I had never heard that publicly before as a reason for them not buying the land, although I have personally wondered about the high school site being right under (or next to) the approach path.

On the other hand, Cornerstone Elementary is also right under the approach path further south and there seem to be no problems there.
Cornerstone is a safe distance from the final approach to the runway. The proposed land is NOT. This is not good. I'm thinking that Newland proposed this site because no one would want to buy a house at the feet of the runway.

Last edited by Topaz; 11-05-2010 at 06:06 AM..

Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 AM

174 posts, read 488,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
My husband is at the town hall meeting, too. I stayed home with our children.

Cottonmather0, I hope they do build a new high school and zone Telfair, New Territory and the Lakes to it - we have a lot of friends in Telfair and that would be a nice solution. I'd much rather drive to a high school near Telfair than one in the opposite direction out in Richmond.

If they don't get this sorted out in a good way, I may have to move. I'm not wild about the Middle School #14 / Travis combo. If I wanted to spend a bunch of time in Richmond, I would have moved to Richmond.
do you happen to know when they make the final decision on middle school 14? if they pick the plan they said they would then my son has to switch middle schools too.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPEP09 View Post
do you happen to know when they make the final decision on middle school 14? if they pick the plan they said they would then my son has to switch middle schools too.
FBISD originally said they wanted to make a decision by the end of 2010, but last night they said they were reconsidering the time frame. If you care about the Middle School #14 issue, get involved with the parent group fighting the rezoning.

http://groups.google.com/group/bbezone

There is a community meeting on Sunday at 3 pm at the Sports Complex on New Territory Blvd.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:50 AM

377 posts, read 1,345,666 times
I think , I heard the Newland guy saying that he is ready to give the land for $1 per sq. ft. Isn't it ?

There must be a new school somewhere that area..ISD Collect Tax money and they must find a school. And, if no school comes up there,,FBISD has to do some major re-zoning for high schools including Clements and Austin..and it will be another chaotic scene than the current Sartartia / MS14 issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston