Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:45 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,287,717 times

Advertisements

I have never understood how she keeps getting re elected.... SJL is a joke. After the Michael Jackson funeral stunt I was completely confused. She is so inept its a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 03:34 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Contact your Republican redistricting committee. There was once a reason to not dilute the minority. It has long since past. They gerrymander these districts to assure their guys always win. If they would just use geography instead of demographics, a lot of this rancor we have seen the last 15 or so years would be gone. If there was a need to cooperate perhaps people would be more civil acting.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:35 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
According to the wiki entry about her district, it is about 37% white, 40% black. She focuses strongly on race issues. How does she get 70%+ of the vote time and time again?

I have read some of her positions, seen some of her talks, and I find her ridiculous.
The answer is obvious, but people are afraid of the Politically Correct Police...

The Sheila always wins because of the majority of the not highly educated, sometimes illiterate, and/or ignorant constituents she has. Of course, not all of her constituents are this way, and they must feel stuck I am sure.

I think this may be remedied somewhat for some of her constituents in the coming redistricting, now that the GOP has assumed control.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 11-05-2010 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-05-2010, 04:02 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
The answer is obvious, but people are afraid of the Politically Correct Police...

The Sheila always wins because of the majority of the not highly educated, sometimes illeterate, and/or ignorant constituents she has. Of course, not all of her constituents are this way, and they must feel stuck I am sure.

I think this may be remedied somewhat for some of her constituents in the coming redistricting, now that the GOP has assumed control.
You do know that Sheila's district includes, Downtown, midtown, Montrose, Heights, Memorial, University of Houston Main, University of Houston Downtown, Rice, St Thomas University, Texas Southern University, All of the medical center, HCC, etc.

I would not say Sheila's district is uneducated, a huge chunk of Houston's professionals live in her district. It is highly incorrect to say her constituents are uneducated and illiterate.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:35 PM

40 posts, read 101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You do know that Sheila's district includes, Downtown, midtown, Montrose, Heights, Memorial, University of Houston Main, University of Houston Downtown, Rice, St Thomas University, Texas Southern University, All of the medical center, HCC, etc.

I would not say Sheila's district is uneducated, a huge chunk of Houston's professionals live in her district. It is highly incorrect to say her constituents are uneducated and illiterate.
Her district does NOT include Memorial. I don't believe it includes Midtown, the medical center, or Rice either. West U and Bellaire along with the above mentioned are in District 7 (John Culberson).

Old 11-05-2010, 04:37 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
It's very simple. She relates to her populace, which is generally poor. Since we are not poor and can't relate, we cannot figure out what they see in her. Although it is in ways most of us don't like or don't understand it's hard to argue that she doesn't fight for the people in her district quite often.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:41 PM

Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Yes, because of the gerrymandering that's happened in the past, Sheila has some very affluent constituents, however, she still has a majority who vote for her that are not in that voting bloc.

Also, I'm not so sure she has all those areas you listed, there is no way in Hell she'd be in office if so.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy2931 View Post
Her district does NOT include Memorial. I don't believe it includes Midtown, the medical center, or Rice either. West U and Bellaire along with the above mentioned are in District 7 (John Culberson).
you can choose to believe whatever you want to believe (sure sign of dementia tho), but here is Sheila's district:

it clearly shows that Memorial, Midtown, The Med Center and Rice are in District 18. you do know how to find these on a map don't you?

Old 11-05-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Yes, because of the gerrymandering that's happened in the past, Sheila has some very affluent constituents, however, she still has a majority who vote for her that are not in that voting bloc.

Also, I'm not so sure she has all those areas you listed, there is no way in Hell she'd be in office if so.
look at the map:

Old 11-05-2010, 04:45 PM

Default Meh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
It's very simple. She relates to her populace, which is generally poor. Since we are not poor and can't relate, we cannot figure out what they see in her. Although it is in ways most of us don't like or don't understand it's hard to argue that she doesn't fight for the people in her district quite often.
Try this... go to work on Monday, ask your co-workers if they know who she is, then ask them to name you three things she's done for the people, and see what looks you get, or how long it takes you to get three legit answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston