Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:21 AM

385 posts, read 967,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
phoencia market? if they don't have what you are looking for you should be able to find something equally yummy
I saw persimmons in the Downtown Phoenicia. They were the big variety, not like the smaller ones in the Asian Markets.

Viet Hoa on the west belt has them also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:21 AM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,832,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Here's the Upick farm info. It's far for you, but if you love persimmons that much, u may make the trip:
PickYourOwn.Org link to a farm website at http://www.mattfamilyorchard.com
Matt Family Orchard persimmon trees were impacted by the drought this year. The fruits were smaller and not as plentiful as usual. There aren't much left by now and I'm not sure if they're still open for the season.

If you go to their website and register your email, you will get notices of their seasonal fruits. They also have fresh honey and will soon start having blueberries to pick. Maybe next year or so.

The drought in Texas this year had forced many local farmers markets to close early. Hope for a better rain season in the coming year.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny57 View Post
I've had a persimmon tree in my front yard for years but was told the fruit wasn't edible...just an ornamental tree...is this possible?

Why?? Persimmon needs to be harvest when ripe.
Please read here:
When Is a Persimmon Ripe? | eHow.com
then look at your fruit, and decide if you want to try a little piece or not.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:39 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
I'm getting a tree this weekend. We looked around several places in Clear Lake, even tried Maas. Nobody had the hachiya (astringent) that I know of. That's the type I want. I even saved some seeds from last year. So this Saturday we plan to go to a place in Richmond that shows hachiya persimmon trees on their website. Also found a place in Mexia that will ship a tree. I bought a few persimmons from HEB this year, but they were LAME! It's worth it to me to get a young tree and wait 3-4 yrs for it to produce than all this hit or miss I have experienced

Old 12-01-2011, 07:43 AM

543 posts, read 1,386,614 times
There's 2 kinds of persimons. The soft kind, needs to eaten when ripe.
You can harvested before riping but you need to let it ripe before eating.

The hard kind - which in my opinion , tastes better when it's not yet fully ripe and turn soft. Some people let it turn ripe (soft) but many other just eat them as soon as they turn color and still hard.

-----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why?? Persimmon needs to be harvest when ripe.
Please read here:
When Is a Persimmon Ripe? | eHow.com
then look at your fruit, and decide if you want to try a little piece or not.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:52 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Right now H-Mart has them on sale. They taste really good. Had few yesterday
http://www.hmart.com/company_new/coupon_event_sale_print.asp?loc=TXH&num=&lan_type= eng (broken link)

Old 12-03-2011, 01:59 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Big Fuji Ones at Costco yesterday.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:21 PM

By the way I got a hachiya persimmon tree last spring (the ones that make your mouth pucker if not ripe). I am on my second one because I accidentally killed the first one but luckily Houston Garden had a 70% off sale so it was easy to start over and try again

I have a reminder on google tasks for this time of the year to 'get persimmons.' Last fall Kroger in Friendswood must have had a big pricing mistake or they needed to clear some inventory - fuyu persimmons were 10 for $1. I left with a few bags, and came back again for more. (There are some nasty, mushy ones at HEB right now for over $2 a piece I think)

Old 10-11-2013, 02:48 PM

543 posts, read 1,386,614 times
There are two markets on Scardale that have them now that they're in season. Try My Quang and Hong Kong 2 markets on Scardale
They're selling for about $1.49/lbs right now.
Yes, there are many varieties. The ones that you're finding in Asian markets now is Fuju (spelling?) persimmons.
The soft, hearted shape persimmon is more expensive.

Also, why not buy a tree and get plenty of them yourself. I saw a few persimmon trees that are so full of fruit in the Clear Lake area.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:48 PM

Scarsdale isn't far from home. Thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston