Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:42 AM

72 posts, read 338,401 times

Advertisements

We are a young family in our early to mid 30's moving to Texas next summer - just a few more months.... I'm so excited . Can anyone please tell me a website that I can visit for school ratings please? My step-son will be in the 9th grade when we move and we are looking for schools first, then a place to rent. The areas that we've looked at in order of preference are Richmond, Missouri City, Stafford, Sugar Land (we find it expensive but we know it's the place to be), and maybe Katy or Cypress. They are just areas that we like - my hubby lived there years ago. His sister still lives there but we really would like to do this all on our own as she is really not that dependable - that's just the way it is. Thanks for your help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 07:43 AM

407 posts, read 1,729,074 times
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) is the organization that assigns the accountability ratings to school (ie Exemplary, recognized, etc). Here is the link to that site where you can look up the ratings:

Texas Accountability Rating System

You can also use this web site. It's national.
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Lastly here is another site with high school ratings but you need to understand how these ratings were determined. This list puts a higher weight to schools with a higher percentage of economically disadvantaged students. It's trying to show which schools are doing a good job with all students. It also does not included high schools that don't have a 9th grade. That's common here to reduce the number of students. The high school will have a separate 9th grade campus. It does not include schools that have been recently opened. I include it because it seems to get posted on these boards a lot.

Houston | CHILDREN AT RISK

Good luck. Remember the ratings are not the entire story and don't worry about the ratings for the entire school district focus on the specific school. If you narrow down your search, someone can probably answer specific questions. In general there are good schools in most (or all - not sure?) of all the areas you mentioned.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:50 AM

407 posts, read 1,729,074 times
I just looked over the methodology of the children at risk ratings. They now include schools with a separate 9th grade campus as long as that campus feeds directly into the high school. But since your child is in 9th grade it's good to know that some districts do use a 9th grade campus. Also the school must have been open for 4 years.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 AM

75 posts, read 209,268 times
also try Texas School Performance Maps

zoom into the different areas you are considering and click for more detailed info on each one

Old 11-24-2010, 11:18 AM

Wow, this is very helpful, thanks so much!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 02:54 PM

23,731 posts, read 14,834,604 times
HAR.com will give you the TEA information in a little different format. Just click on schools. You can compare different districts and schools.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:13 PM

225 posts, read 594,904 times
I like schooldigger.net in addition to the ones jane already mentioned.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:51 PM

262 posts, read 647,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_jane View Post
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) is the organization that assigns the accountability ratings to school (ie Exemplary, recognized, etc). Here is the link to that site where you can look up the ratings:

Texas Accountability Rating System

You can also use this web site. It's national.
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Lastly here is another site with high school ratings but you need to understand how these ratings were determined. This list puts a higher weight to schools with a higher percentage of economically disadvantaged students. It's trying to show which schools are doing a good job with all students. It also does not included high schools that don't have a 9th grade. That's common here to reduce the number of students. The high school will have a separate 9th grade campus. It does not include schools that have been recently opened. I include it because it seems to get posted on these boards a lot.

Houston | CHILDREN AT RISK

Good luck. Remember the ratings are not the entire story and don't worry about the ratings for the entire school district focus on the specific school. If you narrow down your search, someone can probably answer specific questions. In general there are good schools in most (or all - not sure?) of all the areas you mentioned.
I'm a teacher, and those are exactly the websites I was going to recommend to you. Don't just look at the overall ratings - look into attendance and graduation rates, as well as AYP issues.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks everyone!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 AM

9 posts, read 21,347 times
I also like newsweek's list: America's Best High Schools 2010 - Newsweek

I am not sure why such a narrow measure matters, but I have had 2 go through HS in different schools, and although they had the same greatschools ratings, newsweek rated one quite a bit better, and that one would also be the one I would have rated better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston