Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:20 AM

239 posts, read 638,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azamsharp View Post
@GettaClue,
Good question! Maybe FINE them or give them a warning! I am pretty sure HOA is not going to do a darn thing.
Isn't that what the police are for though? HOA's being used as "police" for non-property maintenance issues makes about as much sense as calling the HOA instead of the Fire Dept. if your house winds up ablaze from errant fireworks. Neither situation is bound to end well, you know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 12:46 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
azamsharp - I'm glad no one (especially your baby) was seriously hurt!

I just have to ask: where did OP say that the neighbor's child shot the bb gun? I've seen several references to "giving a child a bb gun" but wasn't it an adult neighbor who irresponsibly shot in OP's window?

Maybe not a police incident now but I would definitely document with the HOA so that there is something in writing; at least ask if there have been any incidences like this in the past and if so, was anything done. The HOA may not be able to do anything at all but having it on record that this incident happened can't hurt.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:52 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Um, yeah...

I am all for guns (have 5 myself), but shooting onto someone's property has got to be a crime, and their asses should be handed over to the police. You want to wait till something really bad happens? Clearly these people have no regard for public safety - I think a strong message needs to be sent here.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:50 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
HOA's wouldn't handle that. It would be a police matter. If they are good neighbors and you have a good relationship w/them find out what happened exactly. Was it a one-time incident .... did someone get the gun that shouldn't have had it......is the bb gun kept unloaded in their home and will only be used offsite at a remote area or will they allow someone to target practice in the backyard? If they plan to target practice, will they notify you when they plan to do so....

Old 12-05-2010, 08:40 AM

401 posts, read 1,732,767 times
Hello Everyone,

First of all this is a one time incident. We never had trouble with them. They were target practicing and missed the target and it came through the fence and broke our window. I do not want to create awkward relationships with my neighbor hence calling the police is the last resort.

I will get an estimate on the window replacement and installation and tell them that this is the bill. If they hesitate with the amount of the bill then I will definitely call the cops.

Thanks for all the advice! I love this forum!

Old 12-05-2010, 04:17 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
They shouldn't be 'target practicing' in their backyard. Sorry...that's immensely irresponsible.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:04 PM

108 posts, read 233,027 times
You need to file a police report. This is the only way to stop this from happening twice. The "adults" here are not adults and only if there are real consequences to their actions will they modify their behavior.

I know you don't want to call the police, but **** awkwardness with the neighbors. They aren't your friends. They don't respect you. You have an obligation as a man to protect your family.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:50 PM

847 posts, read 1,751,193 times
i think if you don't file a police report, then they will continue to "practice" in the backyard, and eventually miss again....who knows what the damage will be then,,,, maybe another window?, maybe someone will simply be standing in your backyard and get hurt?, etc etc..... by only paying for the repairs, there's no "real" consequence for their actions. they'll just think it's ok to continue and think "eh, i'll just pay for another window if it breaks"

i think you should mention to them that they shouldn't be "practicing" in a subdivision because it's ILLEGAL and let them know that if you find out they're still doing it, that you will report them to the police.....plain and simple.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 AM

Hi,

While doing some yard work yesterday I closely examined the broken window (It is not completely broken!) There is a small hole in it. Anyways, I checked the windows from the outside and the netting (The net is outside) has at least 7-8 tiny holes in it. This means at least 7-8 shots hit the window. I called the window company and they said they replace the hold window and not only the glass. It seems like we need to replace the whole window since there are holes in the netting which can grow bigger over time.

Once, I get the estimate I will talk to my neighbor.

Thank you everyone!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:14 AM

I just called a window replacement company and it takes at least 4 weeks to get the window from the manufacturer. Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston