Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:09 AM

441 posts, read 1,326,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
As per title, some utter scumbag has abandoned a rather cute cat which now spends its time sitting in the hedges next to my house. Not only that the vile pig in question has also had it's claws ripped out so it cannot hunt or defend itself.
Being an animal lover I've paid it some attention, made sure it's fed etc but I cannot in all fairness take the cat on. I travel a lot and am going to be leaving the US as soon as my contract ends and won't be able to take it with me.

I also don't want to hand it in to some animal place like BARC who I believe kill the 'rescued' animals after a period of time.

So the question is does anyone know of any other options that don't involve the friendly feline's demise?
Don't wallow in mediocrity Grunn, Chinatown is the solution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 05:57 AM

912 posts, read 2,556,410 times
Not sure I like the cat throwing or eating comments on here but it's absolutely correct to suggest just leaving the poor thing and feeding it isn't really an option.

I'm pretty sure it's over a year old and it started off looking very healthy. A week later the cat doesn't look so good. I've done my best to make sure it's fed, watered and has somewhere warmer to sleep- albeit outside.

It also keeps giving me reproachful and pathetic looks whenever I see it which just breaks my heart.

Wish I could get my hands on the people that disowned it

Old 12-06-2010, 06:05 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,459 times
Quote:
Not sure I like the cat throwing or eating comments on here but it's absolutely correct to suggest just leaving the poor thing and feeding it isn't really an option.

I'm pretty sure it's over a year old and it started off looking very healthy. A week later the cat doesn't look so good. I've done my best to make sure it's fed, watered and has somewhere warmer to sleep- albeit outside.

It also keeps giving me reproachful and pathetic looks whenever I see it which just breaks my heart.

You assume they disowned it. It may have gotten out of the house when they weren't looking. Ours have done that before. Now mind you only once in each in the 10 years we have had them but it still happened. The only thing they did was go in the backyard and laid down o the patio chairs.
Why don't you leave your garage door up a tiny tad and leave a soft blanket or towel in there for it with food and water. That way it will begin to trust you and you can get it to somebody who help find it a home. We adopted both of or cats from the SPCA. Another option is to get it to trust you and then take to Petsmart and they will adopt it out.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:30 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumperson View Post
It would be more humane for you to give the cat to the shelter than to leave it outside. Without claws it won't be able to fend for itself. A neighbor of mine has an outdoor cat and the poor cat looks worse every time you see it. Other cats and animals prey on cats in Houston.
I think the fact that a declawed cat continues to be alive day-after-day is evidence that the cat has not been abandoned and should not be collected. Perhaps the most humane thing to do would be to leave the cat alone.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:52 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,500 times
Have you tried putting an ad on craigslist? Just be careful about screening the prospective adopter, because some people get free animals to feed their pythons. Out here in FL, they'll also use kittens for shark bait. :-(

Old 12-06-2010, 09:01 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:

I wish I could take it in but my bf is currently taking care of the 7 that he has rescued.plus two needy dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
Have you tried putting an ad on craigslist? Just be careful about screening the prospective adopter, because some people get free animals to feed their pythons. Out here in FL, they'll also use kittens for shark bait. :-(
that is just horrid

Old 12-06-2010, 11:00 AM

53 posts, read 128,882 times
Try running a search on No Kill Animal shelters in the Houston area. The first one that comes up is Noah's Ark Animal Sanctuary.

I was in the same situation here when I moved in to my house. Previous owner had an outdoor cat and just abandoned her here. I would have taken her in, but she refuses to be picked up and won't come past 5 feet inside the house. I thought about taking her into a shelter, but since all the neighbors here have been taking care of her as well, I just leave an automatic feeder outside.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
neither here nor there, but a declawed cat CAN hunt.....

i second the suggestion of a no-kill shelter.... unfortunately, shelters are filled to overflowing these days..... so offering to provide a large bag of kibble and making a donation could help in finding him a spot....

do you have any way of contacting the neighbors that left the kitty?? just on the off-chance that it did get loose during the move.......

Old 12-06-2010, 01:02 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
be careful that you find a rescue or a sanctuary. Those are the real no kill ones. If I am not mistaken all shelters kill.

For me the first one that pops up in Google is Friends for Life. I like their quote:

Quote:
A true shelter should be a place where life is affirmed, both in teaching and in practice, not a building permeated with the odor of death. Talented and well-trained volunteers are the key to the four principal components of effective outreach.
but like others have said I think the cat may be someone's pet turned escape artist. I wonder if anyone is looking for it?

Old 12-06-2010, 01:22 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,706 times
If you're not sure that the cat is actually abandoned I would first check on craigslist for lost pets and check with vets and shelters to see if anyone reported her lost. If not I would call rescues:

Friends For Life Animal Shelter & Sanctuary
246 West 19th
Houston, TX 77008
Phone: 713-863-9835

Buster's Friends
camijacobs@hotmail.com - there's no number listed for this one, but I adopted my cat from them, they're awesome!

HOPE Homeless and Orphaned Pet Endeavor
713-622-HOPE (4673)

Here's a list of all the rescues in Houston on petfinder Petfinder.com - Animal Welfare Organizations Near You=

Is there a way you could bring the cat inside your house temporarily? I agree with the others; it's dangerous for the kitty to be outside on it's own without claws. Perhaps one of your other neighbors could take the kitty in temporarily if you're unable to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston