Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 10:18 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Univ_Texas_Alum_30 View Post
The light rail and the other proposed expansions (proposed by people on here) just serve a handful of people in-town at great financial cost to the public at large as well as actually killing people by being placed at street level.

First of all, saying that lightrails inside of the city of Houston proper would only benefit a "handful" of people is really, really ridiculous. It makes me think that you have never really experienced Houston's public transportation (or, at best, you have a very, very misguided view of it). Metro buses alone racked up over 90,000,000 rides in one year. How could much faster, much more efficient rails POSSIBLY only serve a "handful"?! There are thousands and thousands of people in this city who use public transportation on a very daily and routine basis, and there are many people who would love to use public transportation if only it were more efficient (ie: light rail).

Secondly, do you think people don't die in subway trains? Do you think that people don't die on those highways you drive to and from work every day? Have you EVER been inside of a hospital's emergency room? Have you seen how many people die every single day from horrendous, gruesome, terrible, bloody car accidents? Their limbs get smashed and lacerated by twisted metal and their brains are busted and filled with bone fragments and these people get their lives ruined ..if they aren't killed...and this happens on a DAILY basis with many, MANY people in our city...and you're worried about a LIGHT RAIL? Which would actually REDUCE car traffic?

Listen, I am not a "liberal" nor am I "conservative". Wanting a light rail to make your city more accessible does not mean that you have to have a certain political affiliation or bias. I have lived in innercity Houston almost my entire life and I know that a light rail would make things so much easier for many, many people and it would make it much easier to get out and do things in Houston without a car.

About %50 of Americans do not own a car. Think about how many people in Houston proper do not have a car (or do not want to use one) and how this rail would help them and stop being selfish and wanting everyone to accommodate the way of life that you chose for yourself out in the suburbs, miles and miles away from where the most people actually live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 10:26 PM

108 posts, read 233,107 times
I'm not going to re-type my previous posts, because each time you come up with a new logical fallacy. This fallacy is that you are lumping buses in with rail. The light rail are essentially buses with millions of dollars worth of track making them less flexible. I already addressed that issue. Secondly, we were talking about the safety of light rail. It doesn't make sense to introduce a new danger to houston traffic even if existing options carry danger. Finally, dude, we have addressed ad nauseum the argument that rail only benefits a few. It is only in walking distance for a few select apartment complexes, it doesn't make sense to drive from the burbs and get on a train, and finally, it costs the same or less to park downtown.

YOU: buhbubububububububub, RAIL.
ME and OTHERS: debunk, debunk, debunk

None of the pro-rail trolls even pay attention to the arguments against the houston light rail. IF you did, you wouldn''t be regurgitating the same tired, debunked arguments.

This was the nail in the coffin. The light rail trolls will now be ignored.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
Quote:
It is only in walking distance for a few select apartment complexes, it doesn't make sense to drive from the burbs and get on a train, and finally, it costs the same or less to park downtown.

Again, you obviously know NOTHING about our public transportation.

Light rails would all be well connected and strategically placed so that many other bus lines can connect to them, making public transportation more developed, streamlined, and easier. This is how the current light rail works. The proposed rails connect with many, many bus routes, and even go to major transit stations.

No one cares about you in the suburbs. You are not part of Houston. Come up with your own plan for mass transit because you are not part of our mass, you are a person who makes a drive from another municipality every morning simply to work, and you did this on your own accord. You are basically an unwanted foreigner. Focus on your own municipality before you think about ours. It was your choice to live in a city so small and distant that it would never need mass transit.

You can ignore the posts from now on if you want...I don't care. I just think I should point out how little you actually know about this situation.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:37 PM

I don't live in the suburbs. You assume too much. I use the suburbs as an example because you are spending ridiculous sums of money to help one small group while ignoring the main source of congestions. You get an F in "city planning".

If I know nothing about the light rail, how do I know it costs less money and actually less time to just drive downtown from just about anywhere inside the loop?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:54 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Wow, some people just don't get that a transportation SYSTEM is made up of different modes of transportation. I think you should just trying stop explain.

Quote:
Oh, I see. The in-town people want to take their federal subsidies but don't want to do anything to help others. They just want to sponge off the people who work and who moved to the suburbs so their kids actually have grass to play on. This is why government is wrong, because it will always be used by the selfish to take from the people who are just trying to work and improve themselves.
It's pretty obvious you don't live "in-town."

Old 12-14-2010, 11:16 PM

i live in an undisclosed location - not the burbs. you guys are really angry no one will buy you your toy of choice this christmas

Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
I notice that my original question to UTAlum is still unanswered.

Since he's calling everyone "trolls" now, I better not hold my breath.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
i live in an undisclosed location - not the burbs. you guys are really angry no one will buy you your toy of choice this christmas
Oh no don't worry, I got mines. Vibrates too. Maybe I'll let you borrow it.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 PM

the original question seemd to be some amalgam of broken english and haughty outrage. could you repeat it?

Old 12-14-2010, 11:35 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
What is the "target goal" of the alleged "liberals" you were going on about earlier? I thought I was fairly plain about it.

You sure you're not an A&M alum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston