Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Native View Post
Trying to use "comfort" as a real excuse for rail is quite comical. The park and ride buses are much more comfortable than any vehicle METRO uses.
I actually agree with this one. The newer buses are actually quite nice, believe it or not. The older ones are still more comfortable than the light rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 11:12 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Spade are you aware of how many buses were eliminated so that riders were forced to use METRO rail. Many buses on Main were eliminated but many along parallel routes were also eliminated so comparing the rail to 1 bus is disingenuous. Trying to use "comfort" as a real excuse for rail is quite comical. The park and ride buses are much more comfortable than any vehicle METRO uses.

As for rail being more efficient, you have to account for the traffic changes as the result of light rail. Are you aware of just how many cross streets were closed, causing other streets to be more congested? A transportation system that interrupts routes is inefficient.
Are you aware that every transit system eliminates bus systems when new rail lines open up? Studies have proven rail is quicker and more efficient than buses.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:15 AM

332 posts, read 532,582 times
It just seems neither side can get along. It's going to be either buses or rail. I'm going for rail. I'm thinking long term. Gotta say though that METRO is sucking and handling this. Waisting all that money.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:24 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post

But the University Line had much opposition, mainly from the Afton Oaks residents. They successfully steered the line from going down Richmond to the Galleria, to instead crossing over 59 after Greenway Plaza and going down Westpark, hitting up a lot of apartments (which is a good thing). They are waiting on funding for the University Line, so I don't think the "Southeast could have waited". They were suppose to go at once, but the University is more controversial and has had a lot more obstacles to overcome.

How would this work, exactly?
I forgot all about the opposition thing. Still think the University Line should have been the next line to be built. But I understand that Metro basically had no choice but to start on the others.

Quote:
Spade are you aware of how many buses were eliminated so that riders were forced to use METRO rail. Many buses on Main were eliminated but many along parallel routes were also eliminated so comparing the rail to 1 bus is disingenuous. Trying to use "comfort" as a real excuse for rail is quite comical. The park and ride buses are much more comfortable than any vehicle METRO uses.
I'm not talking about park and ride buses. I'm talking about your average everyday buses that do not hold a high capacity compared to light rail. On a popular route, buses get filled to capacity and it's hard to maneuver around them to get off and get on. I have rarely come across that on rail anywhere. Also, like Scarface said, every transit system eliminates bus routes when rail opens. There is a good reason for this. Rail is quicker, more comfortable, and more efficient.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:54 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Remember that METRO was depending on federal funding for the Richmond line in particular. They did not have the funding to even come close to finishing this project which is why no real work has been done. Plus their revenues have also declined putting them in a worse situation. The east/southeast and north lines ridership projections were too low for federal funding and they decided to attempt to do this themselves.
I thought it was a 50/50 deal on the University Line.

The estimated ridership ridership for the SE and N lines:
North Line: 17,400 (5.3 miles)
Southeast Line: 17,250 (6.5 miles)

FTA: Houston Expansion (PDF pages 9-12)

Quote:

As for rail being more efficient, you have to account for the traffic changes as the result of light rail. Are you aware of just how many cross streets were closed, causing other streets to be more congested? A transportation system that interrupts routes is inefficient.
Of courses parallel bus services were eliminated, it's a bit redundant. Traffic gets moved to parallel streets big deal? You act as if you can't move around alongside the rail.

Quote:
Are you aware that city council passed an ordinance that states that the remaining rail lines will not have priority over vehicular traffic and therefore will have to stop at red lines just as buses do now?
Either way you cut it, light rail is quicker and more dependable.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:57 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey713 View Post
It just seems neither side can get along. It's going to be either buses or rail. I'm going for rail. I'm thinking long term. Gotta say though that METRO is sucking and handling this. Waisting all that money.
Why can't we do both buses and rail?

Old 02-24-2011, 12:24 PM

30 posts, read 84,993 times
Quote:
Are you aware that every transit system eliminates bus systems when new rail lines open up?
Yes in this instance it was a way for METRO to inflate the ridership numbers for the first line. Routing lines that formerly went downtown to now end at the med center transit center so that riders will have to now make a transfer which adds to their travel time.

Having the med center stop its buses from the out lying lot so users will be forced to use the train was another. Seems convenience factor was lost and buses were partially back last time I went.
Quote:
Studies have proven rail is quicker and more efficient than buses.
As I mentioned earlier, city council has passed an ordinance for the new rail lines, not allowing them to have priority over vehicular traffic which would invalidate your statement for the Houston scenario that is being implemented.

Last edited by Houston Native; 02-24-2011 at 12:41 PM..

Old 02-24-2011, 12:35 PM

They are doing buses AND rail. Buses will be feeding the rails as far as I read in their website

Old 02-24-2011, 12:40 PM

30 posts, read 84,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I thought it was a 50/50 deal on the University Line.
With the estimated ridership numbers, this was the only line that METRO hoped to get substantial federal funding. Unfortunately this was also the most expensive line and METRO wouldn't be able to pursue this without funding. METRO sent the feds wrong estimates purposely and then pursued contracts that knowingly violated the buy American clause. Then the feds asked them to resubmit accurate information so they basically took a step backwards and still have no funding.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:31 PM

I wonder what the Afton Oaks people thought about this that they were opposed to it. If it was me, I would love a train right by my house, Less sweating while walking and everything so close to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston