Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 07:03 PM

617 posts, read 1,423,769 times

Advertisements

Whats up Houstonians I was just wondering why does everyone attack this city so much on CD. People claim that there city is so much more lively and vibrant and yet they stay at home and troll. Im new here but I have read enough to know that these same people are obsessed with things in there city they probably never participate in. What are your thoughts?

Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
There is lots of jealousy because of the rapid growth of sunbelt cities.

Houston, Dallas, ATL, Phoenix, San Antonio and Austin have been growing at break neck speed while other areas stagnate.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:24 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,119 times
Are you talking about the clowns from Dallas that aren't sure when to use "there", "their", or "they're" when trolling anonymously?

Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
Are you talking about the clowns from Dallas that aren't sure when to use "there", "their", or "they're" when trolling anonymously?
no he is talking about the ones who say:

more then Houston instead of
more than Houston

Old 12-08-2010, 08:54 PM

108 posts, read 233,059 times
Houston doesn't have the history of some other cities that are overregulated and stagnating. We don't have the "atmosphere". People do get jealous as someone else pointed out and they justify staying in their city because of those other things while there might be more opportunity here.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:50 PM

617 posts, read 1,423,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
no he is talking about the ones who say:

more then Houston instead of
more than Houston
WOW! I make a few grammar mistakes and you guys automatically jump on me when I didn't even mean to offend anyone in anyway; no wonder no one likes you guys!

Old 12-09-2010, 06:51 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Whats up Houstonians I was just wondering why does everyone attack this city so much on CD. People claim that there city is so much more lively and vibrant and yet they stay at home and troll. Im new here but I have read enough to know that these same people are obsessed with things in there city they probably never participate in. What are your thoughts?
Well honestly these things come periodically. In stages and in phases.

Like take the present moment for example:
- It has been weeks to at least a month since Houston legitimately got bashed in the City vs City section of the board.
- Right now the bash flavor of the month seems to be Atlanta.
- Minor role bashes for Chicago & Los Angeles are also up right now.
- Houston has been doing pretty well lately.
- Miami occasionally gets bashed a lot depending on the time of the year
- Phoenix & Orlando actually never catch a break, ever.

The one thing is between all the cities, Dallas from what I have noticed seems to be the most ignored. I wouldn't call that a good thing either as many leave Dallas to be a "regional" thing or forget about its accomplishments.

Houston at the very least does get its recognition, whether it comes from people who support it, or people who do anything to discredit it but fail doing so. People on this board seem to recognize it for what it is. It's actually your city that's the most forgotten. At least compared to New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Washington DC, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Atlanta, Austin on this board.

Houston has everything besides three things it periodically lacks quite a lot or has going against it:
- Summer weather with heat & humidity
- Not very dense and urban in its core
- Weak Public Transit

Those are the only three main things Houston has going against it. And that very short list of three or four things is a seasons worth of bashing on this site. So do the math yourself, it equals out to people being haters, I am not going to say jealous but simply haters. It mostly comes from people who cant stand to see the rise of Houston, lets face it this city has added $110 Billion to it's GDP in 4 years (2005-2009) more than any other city ever has in American history besides New York City (check it, I am stating facts) because the US is at the highest in payment enroll and since 2005 Houston has added 620,000 people. Houston's been rising i9n prominence where as older cities have been stagnating and barely going anywhere. It's the hate that comes from that.

The one city NO ONE ever bashes or complains for is actually Boston. That is the only city that does not get touched and bashed on for. Generally everyone seems to respect it.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:08 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Good post, DANNY!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:09 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,259 times
Does anyone else think civic pride is a huge waste?

The people usually doing the bragging never had any part in improving the area they are bragging about simply because they live there.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:13 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
This is going nowhere good. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: