Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:21 AM

122 posts, read 477,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Add Coal Vines to that (never heard of it until now)
Coal Vines is from Dallas, and is very good pizza. Should give Grimaldi's a run for their money. These are my two favorite pizza places. Coal Vines is a little bit cheaper and has a lot more variety to their menu. Grimaldi's is pretty much just pizza and salad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 03:13 PM

208 posts, read 552,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
in the latest and greatest rankings from the houston chronicle this past sunday, Walker Station and Commenwealth elementary schools, both on FBISD's west side, were rated 1 and 2 respectfully. neither of the two sienna elementary schools made it in the Chron top 10, but they are both rated Exemplarary, so Im sure they are great schools.
As I stated in a previous thread the rating is based on the percentage of students in the school passing a minimum basic skills test. The standards have been lowered in Texas and no matter where you go everyone is teaching to the test. I read today that a Sienna Plantation mom was driving her kids and a neighbor's kids to a private school in Houston and her car overturned killing a 6 year old. My heart goes out to the woman and the family of the child that was killed. I know how it is rushing to get to Houston to take your child to school down highway 6 dealing with all the traffic. It is a shame that folks have to drive to another city to a private school because the quality of public education is not good in Texas. The ratings mean nothing if the standards are low to begin with. It doesn't matter if you live in Sugar Land or Missouri City. I have seen the quality of work in public versus private and it doesn't take a genius to figure out there is a problem with the system making it easier for students to pass.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350days View Post
As I stated in a previous thread the rating is based on the percentage of students in the school passing a minimum basic skills test. The standards have been lowered in Texas and no matter where you go everyone is teaching to the test. I read today that a Sienna Plantation mom was driving her kids and a neighbor's kids to a private school in Houston and her car overturned killing a 6 year old. My heart goes out to the woman and the family of the child that was killed. I know how it is rushing to get to Houston to take your child to school down highway 6 dealing with all the traffic. It is a shame that folks have to drive to another city to a private school because the quality of public education is not good in Texas. The ratings mean nothing if the standards are low to begin with. It doesn't matter if you live in Sugar Land or Missouri City. I have seen the quality of work in public versus private and it doesn't take a genius to figure out there is a problem with the system making it easier for students to pass.
That you would use these 2 families' tragedy yesterday to attempt to make a point about the public schools in Sienna vs private schools elsewhere is completely inappropriate. Knowing that these families are in my community makes it hit home even harder.

These 2 families in our community are suffering. You have no idea why they chose to send their kids to private school, do you? They don't need random people using their loss as an example of why people send their kids to private school.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 AM

469 posts, read 1,101,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350days View Post

Sad that you have to use this to prove your point but the kids went Southminster which is on cartwright rd in Missouri City. And there are many reasons why a parent may choose to send a child to private school. It does not have to be because the public school that they may attend. When I was in school, I lived in a city that had amazing public schools within it. Nationally recogized schools but I had friends that took a 20 minute bus ride to go to a Catholic School. Most went because of the religious background that their parents wanted to immerse them in. Others went because the sports program was one of the top in the country. My parents were thinking about sending me because the football team is always one of the best in the nation and they felt I could get better exposure there.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 AM

208 posts, read 552,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
Sad that you have to use this to prove your point but the kids went Southminster which is on cartwright rd in Missouri City. And there are many reasons why a parent may choose to send a child to private school. It does not have to be because the public school that they may attend. When I was in school, I lived in a city that had amazing public schools within it. Nationally recogized schools but I had friends that took a 20 minute bus ride to go to a Catholic School. Most went because of the religious background that their parents wanted to immerse them in. Others went because the sports program was one of the top in the country. My parents were thinking about sending me because the football team is always one of the best in the nation and they felt I could get better exposure there.
I was not using another family's tragedy to make a point. As you know Sam I have been speaking about this issue long before this happened, as you have religiously been keeping up with my posts and responding. All you have to do is READ the news locally and nationally about the public education in Texas and around the country.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
That accident was so sad! One of my FB friends from high school apparently was friends with the mother involved. How horrible.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:09 PM

11 posts, read 15,425 times
Baines is having some problems. There is a new option for middle school students at the new k-8 Christian school that is under construction next to the new HS in Sienna.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:17 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siennaresident View Post
Baines is having some problems. There is a new option for middle school students at the new k-8 Christian school that is under construction next to the new HS in Sienna.
What kind of problems is Baines having? Religious based schools give me the creeps.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 10-24-2011, 02:37 PM

42 posts, read 148,560 times
I've lived in Sienna for eight years. I live in a large two-story in one of the medium price sections. My section has houses between 2500-4000 sf. While home sizes vary, they stay pretty consistent in style and cost by each section. It's an ethnically diverse community but age-wise I would say most people are young families with kids.

It was secluded when I moved there but no more. The Fort Bend Tollroad provides quick access to Houston. If you work downtown or in the medical center, it's not a bad commute. We now have grocery stores and restaurants...things that did not exist when I moved in. It's fun to watch civilization creep closer.

Scanlan Oaks and Sienna Crossing Elementaries are well respected. Jan Schiff is on its way. Neither of my kids was thrilled with Baines, but who really enjoys middle school? They all seem to be punks at that age. I have one high schooler attending a non-Sienna school and the other will start at Ridge Point next year. There is a lot of parental support financially in all of the schools. A lot of spoiled kids too. Everyone seems to get a new BMW or Mercedes on their 16th birthday.

Nice amenities. Good library, great pools, parks and trails. Lots of community involvement. Low crime. Taxes vary by section but all are high. You will pay County, School District, MUD and LID. Ouch! Annual dues are around $1000. Overall, it's a nice place to live.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:52 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herfyjo
Overall, it's a nice place to live.
Until the next hurricane. Good luck on getting out of the neighborhood as all roads lead to hwy 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston