Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:54 PM

239 posts, read 638,981 times

Advertisements

You know, if you'd be willing to move out here to the burbs near me, you could not only get a better, more affordable home, but we could start a liberal revolution in these parts!

Just kidding...sort of. I miss Colorado liberals and intellectual conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 09:07 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
There is one thing about Houston. People just don't get into each other's face about religion or politics. You may have someone behaving badly on the internet, because they can hide the bad behaviour behind anonymity.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:29 PM

239 posts, read 638,981 times
Sadly, that has not been my experience at all CJ. Heck, I'd be happy if I could just find a good car wash that doesn't insist upon blaring Fox News at you in their waiting areas, and then self-righteously lecturing you about if you dare to ask them to turn it down or even (gasp!) change it.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:42 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
There is one thing about Houston. People just don't get into each other's face about religion or politics.
Yes, they do. One of my colleagues at work was just mentioning the other day how she went to get her car serviced (in Houston) and the employee started ranting about politics with the assumption that she totally agreed with him. She disagreed with everything he said but since her car was being left in this guy's hands, she just nodded politely and smiled.

Lots of strangers and acquaintances in Sugar Land have launched conversations with me about religion and politics. I usually try to respond politely as I'm not itching for a fight, but I think some of these people are really lacking in insight when they assume that everyone in Sugar Land thinks just like they do. In reality, the voting results show diversity of opinion.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:42 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettaClue View Post
Sadly, that has not been my experience at all CJ. Heck, I'd be happy if I could just find a good car wash that doesn't insist upon blaring Fox News at you in their waiting areas, and then self-righteously lecturing you about if you dare to ask them to turn it down or even (gasp!) change it.
Car washes are notorious hot spots for Tea Party types. Don't take it personally.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettaClue View Post
If I run into a place that's running Fox - I just listen - it's always good entertainment.

I still stand by the unique Houston thing. I bet rb4browns did not know I was a liberal with a capital L (actually I feel I am Centrist - but center has sure changed) - and I am not sure what he is - and he was a client (and we probably both don't care). Most of the time, it never comes up with people I talk to.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:08 PM

108 posts, read 233,059 times
Try a condo in the museum district perhaps, but you'll need to pay more that 180 for sure. If you can find one for 225, let me know. I think you will be fine as far as the culture. The rednecks in Texas are generally limited to the roads and the country. There will be more in the suburbs too but its pretty good. Just don't come here wanting to increase the level of government and you will be fine. We are quite happy NOT having large, wasteful government bureacracies (besides the city of Houston, of course).

Old 12-11-2010, 10:21 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Univ_Texas_Alum_30 View Post
Just don't come here wanting to increase the level of government and you will be fine. We are quite happy NOT having large, wasteful government bureacracies (besides the city of Houston, of course).
Hopefully there is a happy medium between "large, wasteful government bureaucracies" and being ranked worst in the U.S. for services to the country's most needy and vulnerable, like homeless children and disabled adults.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:24 PM

Just got a message that put the whole Houston thing into perspective for me. Most here don't believe in spending money you don't have; could not care less if you are gay; old folks need to be taken care of; able-bodied people need to get a job; if the nation goes to war there better be a good reason and that hasn't been the case lately; children need to be disciplined but not beaten; people need a hand up but not a hand out; your religion is up to you (including no religion at all); whatever was your specialty dish in your homeland will be greatly appreciated at the block party; I may have missed something but I tried.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Hopefully there is a happy medium between "large, wasteful government bureaucracies" and being ranked worst in the U.S. for services to the country's most needy and vulnerable, like homeless children and disabled adults.
Oh, and bureacrats that cut services for children and other people that deserve help should fry in h*ll (should you believe in h*ll). If you don't believe in h*ll, they should just fry somewhere, although I am not advocating anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston