Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:50 PM

4 posts, read 3,872 times

Advertisements

I am considering a house in Pasadena in the Village Grove East subdivision. I read through the deed restrictions to see if there might be any issues for me, & I found one. It states that residents are allowed a maximum of two pets, & we own three dogs. I realize that by the letter of the deed restrictions, I should get rid of one of my dogs, or look for somewhere else to live. However, as a practical matter, can anyone tell me how strictly such provisions are typically enforced? Any specific experience with Village Grove East would be great as well, even if not related to this specific rule.

I ask because, up to now, I have never lived in an area with an active HOA. I do everything I'm supposed to do to insure that my dogs are not a nuisance, & I won't be getting any more pets. Therefore, if it's simply a rule to prevent people from hoarding animals, I think I'm OK. However, if it's enforced to the letter, that would be a problem.

Also, no specific consequences and/or enforcement provisions relating to this deed restriction are specified. Should someone decide to make an issue of it, what sort of action could the HOA actually take?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 05:36 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,774,895 times
The HOA can legally fine you until you comply since you would have signed the CCR's for the neighborhood upon closing.

It's also public knowledge in favor of the HOA should they find this post and use it to their advantage in court if it went that far.

It's not worth it. Just find someplace else.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:05 AM

676 posts, read 932,376 times
Really just depends on the HOA. In my neighborhood we have that rule also, but they only enforce it if the animals are a nuisance at a certain residence. If they don't cause any issues, then they don't mind if someone has 3-4 dogs and/or cats.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:24 AM

811 posts, read 1,557,383 times
I would look elsewhere. Would you be prepared to give up one of your dogs if push came to shove? I know I wouldn't so if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't risk it. There are plenty of other houses out there.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:07 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,626,106 times
We were in a HOA where they changed the rule on pets midstream. I guess we could have fought to be grandfathered in but we were already thinking of selling anyway. We had dogs that looked exactly alike. We walked one at a time thereafter. And for all they knew our one dog got walked an awful lot.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:56 AM

23,991 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Sounds kinda arbitrary. Is there a difference between 3 10 pound dogs and 2 100 pound dogs?

Does the HOA enforce the deed restrictions? Ours said 2 dogs and 2 cats per house. My across the street neighbor had 2 big dogs and a tiny one. She figured nobody ever saw the little one. She was HOA president for about 15 years.

Her neighbor complained to me about the smell from the back yard. It was a big problem.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:58 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,419,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
I would look elsewhere. Would you be prepared to give up one of your dogs if push came to shove? I know I wouldn't so if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't risk it. There are plenty of other houses out there.
Exactly! However I will modify that a bit and say "I WOULD NOT EVEN CONSIDER IT!". I can fully agree that you really don't want 15 dogs or other animals on a residential property, but restricting it to two?? Read your HOA covenants closely to see what other ridiculous restrictions there are!

Old 05-17-2016, 01:22 PM

23,991 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Two dogs and two cats is a pretty common deed restriction in Houston. IT is not ignored nearly as often as the county restriction to keep one's cats in the house or confined in their own yard.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:03 PM

4 posts, read 3,872 times
Definitely would not be willing to give up one of my dogs. I just wanted to see if this was a boiler plate type thing that all HOAs had but was not strictly enforced.

Houses that feed into DPISD are thin on the ground, & the house that is the subject of this post is the only one we like that falls in our price range at the moment. Otherwise, I wouldn't consider it, which is what it sounds like I should do.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:47 PM

398 posts, read 395,045 times
How about you follow the rules you would be agreeing to or move somewhere else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston