Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 02:23 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times

Advertisements

I lived in Houston (lived in Cy-Fair, worked in River Oaks area) from 00-03. I'm wondering if they've finished some of the nicer apartments and "revitalization" town homes on the fringes of downtown. I remember some were new, hi-rise types under construction while others were sprouting up where old shotgun homes once stood. I even remember seeing some garden style apartments being built just off I-10 on the west side of downtown around the time I moved to DC in 03.

I've interviewed for jobs in IN and AL, hoping to get into a rural area, but in my line of work, jobs in rural areas are scarce and often go to those with an inside advantage. I have a shot at a job back in Houston, and on the off-chance I get it, I'm not going to do the 30+ mile commute one way like before.

I'm hoping someone can fill me in on some of the growth on the downtown fringes that isn't super expensive (like, for example, River Oaks or galleria area)

Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 09:41 AM

9 posts, read 19,170 times
If your bent on living downtown or nearby you've got to prepare yourself for potentially seeing someone peeing outside your front porch. It's not if it's when.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 07-13-2007 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 08-05-2007, 01:21 PM

268 posts, read 1,488,966 times
Default Near downtown living

Yes, living near downtown is sketchy - we rent on Allen Pkwy near Montrose and there are usually homeless people panhandling and once I had to call the police because a guy was acting really crazy right outside the garage exit. This apt. complex is only one year old and advertised as premier living but that doesn't insulate you from the riff-raff. I also had several panhandlers ask for money when I went to Blockbusters on Montrose and that can be a bit intimidating for a woman by herself. My dh and I were cleaning the car at a carwash and again someone approached us for money.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:32 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Welcome to the big city. You always have the option of moving out to the suburbs and fighting traffic every day.

Otherwise get in a highrise (Houston House, 2016 Main) and get on a high enough floor so the pee smell and the noise from the Pierce Elevated won't bother you. Don't walk to the McDonald's next to 2016 if you're alone and female.

They have not done nearly as much building in lower downtown as they were projecting - the residential demand isn't really that high.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:32 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,391 times
There are some nice lofts downtown:
Hogg Lofts
Humble Towers
St. Germain
I consider downtown one of the safest places in Houston. It isn't a big deal with the homeless. They just ask for change and go away.

There are a lot of nice places in Midtown as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: