Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,629,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2bPinoy View Post
my advice based on personal experience if you are still in high school or still a freshman in college, dont take civil engineering haha.

there is no money in bridge or building if you're just a regular civil engineer in a private engineering firm. even in oil/gas industry piping engineers/designers salary's better than civil engineers. no offense but most of them dont even have college degree.

chemical/process engineers are more in demand and gets way higher pay on the average than civil engineers specially in oil and gas industry in houston.

maybe civil engineers working on the govt (DOT) is better though.
LOL! Thanks, but civil engineers make money especially those who have their Ph.D.s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the help you guys. I will keep Houston in my relocation plans. The only major concern I have is the long distance from Alabama.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:30 PM

23,739 posts, read 14,840,115 times
I live next door EOM folks from Mobile. Alabama is at the end of the street, less than a thousand feet, and another around the corner, another from Birmingham 2500 feet away. 1/2 of Alabama is in Houston.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:42 PM

I don't get it?????

Old 12-25-2010, 05:36 PM

86 posts, read 120,276 times
So, wait the OP hasn't even been to Houston and he is obsessing over it on this site. What is this?

Old 12-25-2010, 07:50 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,761,220 times
It takes courage and dignity to follow your heart and choose the career you like to follow. Is not about economics and money mate. If it wasn't for kids like this we will never have teachers, scientists and all the other careers that really matters and maybe don't pay as good..

As for me I will expose my kids to anything I can and let them make that decision where hopefully they will put in their hard work into a happy and peacefully society... and is not always about money.....
I will work my arse off to support whatever they wish to follow and is their choice and not mine.

I encourage you to watch this video about being a kid and achieving your childhood dreams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2bPinoy View Post
am sorry but i dont think this is a good advice. if you are going to have a huge debt after college, better make sure you get a degree that will get you a job to pay for it.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 AM

43 posts, read 89,193 times
I am a british graduate (civil engineering) with what is considered to be a good degree here in uk 2:1. I always wanted to live in Texas and Houston seems ike a perfect place for me. However I do not have any experience in the industry yet (construction sector took a bad hit in uk). Do you think its possible to find a job/sponsor in Houston or USA in general in my cituation? My particular area of interest is site management, but I am flexible and can work in any sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston