Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 03:00 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrulez View Post
Especially since a young high school girl just died of a ricochet bullet last week.
Houston police still looking for teenage girl's killer | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Nothing in that article to suggest it was a ricochet shot, it was a man running down the street shooting at things. No relevance at all to using a gun to defend yourself from criminals.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:50 PM

82 posts, read 102,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Me, too, Topaz, I'm roundly criticized by my friends for being a "bleeding heart liberal" but I think Mr. Castillo acted intelligently, swiftly, and correctly.

These people aren't just robbing, they're killing, raping, maiming. And they are not deserving of any "humane" treatment, they are not "poor little lambs who have lost their way", they are menaces to society.

I'm all for getting the RIGHT ones, and I think the Police FREQUENTLY get the WRONG ones, and I think the Prosecutors are generally worthless--they're just trying to make a splash to get out of the Prosecutor's office--but when the individual citizen like Mr. Castillo is in personal danger (along with his family), there's no doubt who the "right ones" are--and he just saved himself and his family, while saving us a lot of money prosecuting their worthless ***ess, while keeping them from robbing somebody else later.

Oh, and I'm all about treating people fairly. These people were treated fairly. I hope their mama's are sobbing.
Interesting...very interesting.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
This goes for any break-in these days and they are on the increase all over this metro, at any time of the day. If you have a gun use it, because they have one and they will.

If you have kids, have plan. Somewhere they are supposed to go when that panic/instant alarm horn sounds, and make sure it's not anywhere near you and your gun.
I will make sure when I take my morning jog in the summer not to walk too close to anyone's driveway. I may stop to tie my shoe and find myself being shot dead in point blank range.

I get quite tan in the summertime...

After all...it is self defense right? An example for others. Your perceived sense of safety (dominance and control) is worth more than my human life. Thats not self-defense, thats murder.

God bless Texas...and nobody else.

Last edited by Ashlynn_Joy; 12-18-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 04:11 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antebellum_Goddess View Post
I will make sure when I take my morning jog in the summer not to walk too close to anyone's driveway. I may stop to tie my shoe and find myself being shot dead in point blank range.

After all...it is self defense right? An example for others. Your perceived sense of safety (dominance and control) is worth more than my human life.

God have mercy...I get it now.
You come in my house uninvited and will ill intent, any damn color you are, you will be regaurded as hostile. Your "human worth" left you the minute you decided to cause my family,or any family, harm.

Yes, welcome to Texas.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
You come in my house uninvited and will ill intent, any damn color you are, you will be regaurded as hostile. Your "human worth" left you the minute you decided to cause my family harm.

Yes, welcome to Texas.

If I am jogging on a public sidewalk close to your home or anyone elses for that matter...how in the world can you interpret that as me being hostile with ill intent? How can you prove that? You can't. However I welcome you to challenge my "human worth" as I take my morning jog on a public sidewalk.

However I must say I agree with this statement as it stands alone, paraphrase...Your "human worth" leaves you the minute you decided to cause my family...or anybody's family harm. I agree with that statement wholeheartedly...again as it stands alone.

Last edited by Ashlynn_Joy; 12-18-2010 at 04:33 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 04:25 PM

460 posts, read 2,427,550 times
Quote:
You come in my house uninvited and will ill intent, any damn color you are, you will be regaurded as hostile. Your "human worth" left you the minute you decided to cause my family,or any family, harm.

Yes, welcome to Texas.
Amen. In fact, if I find such a person in my house, I will simply shoot them, make sure they are dead, and THEN ask them their intent.

It's really a very, very simple rule. Stay out of someone else's house unless you are invited in. This isn't hard to understand, or follow.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:26 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,162 times
I wouldn't shoot a person jogging on the sidewalk (obviously)... but if anyone has an unleashed dog that ever runs towards me barking I'd gun it down without a second thought.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:27 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
If I am jogging on a public sidewalk close to your home or anyone elses for that matter...how in the world can you interpret that as me being hostile with ill intent? How can you prove that? You can't. However I welcome you to challenge my "human worth" as I take my morning jog on a public sidewalk.

Who's talking about a sidewalk??...I'm talking about crossing my threshold...setting off an alarm...You're making up your own damn story........sheesh.

Besides we don't have sidewalks around here. Thank goodness.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:39 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,767 times
Quote:

After all...it is self defense right? An example for others. Your perceived sense of safety (dominance and control) is worth more than my human life. Thats not self-defense, thats murder.

You're just talking about totally different things.

These nice fellows were not out taking a little jog, only to be set upon by the evil Mr. Castillo. They were inside his store, with guns; they tied up his wife and were going to both rob and possibly murder the two of them.

And from what I understand, the Castillos and the robbers were the same skin tone?

I am all for finding the right party. I think far too often in Texas, we've had people (often people of color) picked out of a lineup and imprisoned--even executed--because of overzealous prosecution using sketchy evidence. In all such cases, I think the state's standards ought to be much higher.

In this case, Mr. Castillo was in immediate danger on his own property. Regardless of the insurance situation, regardless of the criminal background of the people holding him and his wife ("Pardon me, sir, do you have a criminal record?"), Mr. Castillo was in immediate personal danger.

Bravo, Mr. Castillo.

And as far as their humanity---yes, in fact, I agree with the other folks--they gave up their rights when they went into the store and attacked the couple. They forfeited their rights as citizens. They deserved exactly what they got.

(And a note to all: I totally don't care what color you are or what language you speak, if you come in my house by kicking in the back door, I am going to use the shotgun first and ask questions later. It will effectively remove your head. Choose your victims carefully.)

Old 12-18-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
I wouldn't shoot a person jogging on the sidewalk (obviously)... but if anyone has an unleashed dog that ever runs towards me barking I'd gun it down without a second thought.
The dog or the person?..Or both? Or maybe it depends on the breed of both animals?

I have a little 4 month old Collie, German Shepherd, and a Yorkie...I better keep em on a tight leash! At the park I go to I always have people coming up to them petting them...I never realized anyone could take their mere presence as a perceived threat.

Last edited by Ashlynn_Joy; 12-18-2010 at 05:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston