Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 03:54 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times

Advertisements

my condolences to your friend. It's always a shock when someone who's made a difference in your life passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 715 times
I was also in Professor Gorman's intro to physics class during his last semester at UH...and I was quite affected by his passing because only the day before I had called to thank him for his guidance and motivation.

I never thought I could pass physics but Gorman constantly told me to "think," "try harder" and "believe" and improvement would be certain. He was right.

Out of my entire career at UH only 2 professors truly impacted me and Professor Gorman was one of them. He had a tough love method of teaching his students that helped those of us who stuck through to the end. "No. I'm not going to spoon feed this to you."

...and hey...he LOVED Tom Petty! RIP Professor Gorman, thank you so much for everything.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 693 times
Dr. Gorman was an amazing human being, despite his faults. I met him a few years ago and talked to him frequently from the time I met him. You could talk to him about nearly anything. He loved baseball and was even in the NY Times (his favorite paper) once, talking about physics and baseball, two things he loved. ([URL="http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F10B1FFA3D590C768CDDAD0894DA4044 82&scp=21&sq=michael%20gorman%20houston%20tx&st=cs e"]BASEBALL - BASEBALL - It Doesn't Make Sense To Pitch to Bonds Now - NYTimes.com[/URL])

You always knew where you stood with him. He told you what he thought straight up, even if it was inappropriate at times. If he liked you, he told you.

He gave me lots of insights about being a teacher and higher education, which is what I'll probably miss the most as I'm working on my graduate work.

I will never forget him.

Last edited by modutch1; 01-31-2011 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: